Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #76
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead View Post
I disagree--The Harry Potter series showed that if you can put out a product that ingnites young people they will read. Kindle is cool at the moment--as wii was and PS2--My niece is getting one and all her friends (they are 10), why because her friends are--there's a real opportunity to get young people back into reading here.
I concur that the Kindle being "cool" is an opportunity, and Harry Potter certainly made a whole lot of kids that didn't normally read avid readers of at least the HP books.

But you were talking about the 25 and ups who no longer read, not the 10 year olds who do. We can hope the latter will never stop reading, but we have to ask what made the 25+ group turn to other things, and what might entice them back. Technology alone is not the answer.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 12-22-2010 at 07:23 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #77
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

So far I haven't seen any studies that indicate (let alone definitively prove) that ebooks have dramatically inflated in price since agency pricing kicked in.
I can prove it for one book at least easily.

Bought this one a year ago :- http://www.amazon.com/Zima-Blue-ebook/dp/B002VCR0CQ

Alastair Reynolds Zima Blue.

It was 10.00.

Now 14.04.

I am sure most people would call a greater than 40% price hike dramatic.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #78
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Which edition? There are at least two versions of the collection (not counting the Limited Edition), the second having 30-40% more content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post

Bought this one a year ago :- http://www.amazon.com/Zima-Blue-ebook/dp/B002VCR0CQ

It was 10.00.

Now 14.04.

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #79
radiohead
radiohead
radiohead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I concur that the Kindle being "cool" is an opportunity, and Harry Potter certainly made a whole lot of kids that didn't normally read avid readers of at least the HP books.

But you were talking about the 25 and ups who no longer read, not the 10 year olds who do. We can hope the latter will never stop reading, but we have to ask what made the 25+ group turn to other things, and what might entice them back. Technology alone is not the answer.
______
Dennis
I think age might be the answer--I stopped at 25 until 35--I'm afraid to say-

but you make valid points Dennis

S
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #80
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post

It was 10.00.

Now 14.04.

Demand pricing will go both ways. If a product is selling well, prices may rise to capture more profit. I bought Tom Clancy's latest the day it was released for $14.99, a mere few weeks later it's already $12.99.

Ebook pricing will start to reflect dynamic pricing like gas or milk.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert