Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
leecole
Lee Cole
leecole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire,Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Ipod Touch
calibre for Kindle Fire page numbers?

I have the latest calibre 1.36 and I normally use calibre' s server to download either azw3 or mobi files to sdcard/Books folder. Books purchased from Amazon have page numbers, but calibre books do not. Will we ever have page numbers for calibre books on Kindle Fire? Reading forum entries on Mobiread, led me to believe that I should already have page numbers, but I do not.
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Page Numbers depend on a file called {book}.apnx, which calibre can auto-generate for e-ink Kindles, but not for Kindle Fires. Kindle Fire is a whole different ballgame in a bunch of ways, for a bunch of things.

This also can only work when sideloading by connecting to calibre as a device and using Send-to-device. When using the Content Server, you cannot receive extra files like that.

Also, the Page Numbers are a guesstimate.

Bottom line is, when trying to hack the device to use special features not deliberately made accessible, one must not expect any guarantees.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
leecole
Lee Cole
leecole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire,Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Ipod Touch
Thanks

Although I normally use the content server, I did use calibre companion to transfer a few books to see of page numbers would appear, and they didn't.
My confusion was caused because the Kindle is not a 'device', but a product line, so it is not always clear what should work for all kindles.
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
What I do to get page numbers on my fire is use the apnx plug in that's found in Calibre and then copy that file to the books>SideCar> folder on my Fire HDX.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmm, I heard it doesn't work on the Fire. I don't have one to test it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
What I do is after I bring my ebook into calibre I use the apnx plugin to create page numbers in a directory. Then move the apnx file to books>sidecar> and I have page numbers for my book.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote