Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #166
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Any effort to sanctify the use of the "hater" aspersion will fail.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #167
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Ok, can we get some ACTUAL reviews here, instead of pissing contests?
I'd like to hear from people who have not had a smart phone before and decided to jump in with the I5.
I have a tracfone, but am seriously thinking of moving up. And I would like to know what a newbie thinks of the I5 before I put down that kind of money...
Actual reviews? Easy. From a smart phone novice? Not so easy.

I own and have used all platforms. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry from the first BlackBerry up until the second generation of the BlackBerry touch screen phones - the 95xx series. I used them happily for nearly a decade, they did what I required. They had push email - my first requirement - I needed to be reachable without having to check my mail every few minutes. They are encrypted, very efficiently, something that has caused Governments in trouble spots to close their servers down. I made the jump to an iPhone 4S - I didn't bother with the earlier version, although I was familiar with them. My wife and family had them from the start. I switched to the iPhone for compatibility and easy synching (contacts and email) with my Macbook Air, iPad etc., and the ability to use them as a hotspot; plus Siri. I use Siri a lot - more I think that any other iPhone owner among my friends and family. While driving I use Siri to take down thoughts and email them to me, to take and send messages, to read email to me and to do research (Wolfram Alpha, not Google.) I really like the phone. If I didn't already have it, I might consider the iPhone 5 - once the bugs have been fixed - but as it suits me so well, I would not consider an upgrade just for a slightly larger screen and a fraction less weight. I also have a Galaxy IIIS. If I didn't have the iPhone and wasn't so familiar with it, I would in all likelihood be very happy with it as a primary phone.

I don't love or hate any inanimate object - I save such for very nice or very nasty people. I do have both Macs and PCs and use them equally. For a while I used the Macs in order to run software that was not available on PCs. Such as Scrivener. As almost all software of note is now cross platform, I will consider carefully before buying new equipment. If I lost all my phones and had to start again, I would buy based purely on my needs, not the brand. Brand loyalty is not a realistic consideration. Apple once had a lead in areas of innovation, but now just about all of their competition can match them. An issue that is important is warranty. My iPhone has a twenty-four hour "exchange for new" (at a premium cost) policy. Any phone that I bought would have to match that.

I do not use the phone for important pictures, I am a keen photographer and carry a compact Leica for that purpose. I do not play games - so sheer volume of gaming apps is not a consideration. I do listen to music and with Apple's ability to synch my entire collection between all devices - and increase the quality to their iTunes store level - that moves the pendulum in Apple's direction.

There you have it - my POV. It probably won't help you at all, any more than me suggesting what to choose from a restaurant menu. I am a late comer to Apple phones although I have been an Apple user since the first Mac. (Even the IIe come to think of it.) I am very happy with my phone, but not because of the brand, simply because it does much of what I want it to do.

Last edited by DarkScribe; 10-01-2012 at 12:39 AM.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #168
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I have a story.

Yes an actual iPhone 5 story.

A friend of a friend has a son that has nearly turned 26.
He left a big company in the last year to go in with a group to start a business. Anyway, he hasn't had insurance with the big company and was using his parents insurance since he wasn't 26.

He needs a cancer operation, MOHS surgery. (I've had it myself.) He had it scheduled before the end of this month, but it was postponed until after his 26th birthday, and he was trying to get it rescheduled earlier while he still had insurance. At the same time he is trying to do his work which involves the intensive use of computers, but which he can organize with his data handling iPhone.

OK. the stage is set.

He gets his new iPhone 5. The charger fails. He has old chargers but they won't fit. He is trying to get a "dongle" or a charger. Well it seems that there aren't enough to go around. He is traveling about 3 cities within about 300 miles of each other, trying to do his job, trying to arrange his operation. Every Apple store he goes to, he tries to get a dongle or a charger or both. No luck.

One Apple store is nice. They say "well come on in to the store and take 2 hours and charge your phone here."

I can't say things are resolved, though the operation has been advanced up. Still this young man is being put through a ringer. old job/new job/old phone/new phone/ operation/delayed operation/moved up operation/insurance now/ no insurance later/cancer/ hopefully no cancer

I will hear this coming week what happened. (I know of suggestions that come to mind. Just have the old phone (if he still has it) reinstated temporarily -if possible-. Buy a HTC or Galaxy. Get his mom to pay for the operation. Just live with cancer a while. etc.

And finally a bet of wisdom from my old tech days.

DON'T TRY TO BE THE FIRST IN LINE EVERY TIME TO GET THE NEWEST UNPROVED PRODUCT!

Even one of my sons, an Apple disciple says wait 4 months until the "forges" are running smooth.

[[One question that came to my mind, as an old tech in my early days, couldn't someone just pull out a soldering iron and a pair of snips? Is there something "active" in the dongle?]]

Last edited by SeaKing; 10-01-2012 at 01:19 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #169
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Any effort to sanctify the use of the "hater" aspersion will fail.
If you don't believe that there are Apple (and other platform) haters, you are simply not paying attention. Not all criticisms are made in good faith or are based on anything other than dislike of a particular platform, regardless of its actual performance.

Throwing around terms like "iSheep" or suggesting that the only reason people buy Apple products is because they are brainwashed is not the sign of anyone interested in an honest discussion.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #170
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
If you don't believe that there are Apple (and other platform) haters, you are simply not paying attention. Not all criticisms are made in good faith or are based on anything other than dislike of a particular platform, regardless of its actual performance.

Throwing around terms like "iSheep" or suggesting that the only reason people buy Apple products is because they are brainwashed is not the sign of anyone interested in an honest discussion.
Anyone who claims to hate a phone or a company has no idea what "hate" means. Dislike, distrust, yes, hate no. It is yet another abuse of language, using strong word like hate to represent a mild emotion like dislike.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #171
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Anyone who claims to hate a phone or a company has no idea what "hate" means. Dislike, distrust, yes, hate no. It is yet another abuse of language, using strong word like hate to represent a mild emotion like dislike.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #172
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Succinctly put, DarkScribe.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #173
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I agree. There is something about the anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in some people. As a member of a number of tech forums I often read post from people who seem to have view any adverse criticism of a product they have bough as a personal insult.

Before I new better, I posted something to a blackberry forum saying I was going to buy an android product, The reaction quite frankly shocked me.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #174
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have a story.

Yes an actual iPhone 5 story.

A friend of a friend has a son that has nearly turned 26.
He left a big company in the last year to go in with a group to start a business. Anyway, he hasn't had insurance with the big company and was using his parents insurance since he wasn't 26.

He needs a cancer operation, MOHS surgery. (I've had it myself.) He had it scheduled before the end of this month, but it was postponed until after his 26th birthday, and he was trying to get it rescheduled earlier while he still had insurance. At the same time he is trying to do his work which involves the intensive use of computers, but which he can organize with his data handling iPhone.

OK. the stage is set.

He gets his new iPhone 5. The charger fails. He has old chargers but they won't fit. He is trying to get a "dongle" or a charger. Well it seems that there aren't enough to go around. He is traveling about 3 cities within about 300 miles of each other, trying to do his job, trying to arrange his operation. Every Apple store he goes to, he tries to get a dongle or a charger or both. No luck.

One Apple store is nice. They say "well come on in to the store and take 2 hours and charge your phone here."

I can't say things are resolved, though the operation has been advanced up. Still this young man is being put through a ringer. old job/new job/old phone/new phone/ operation/delayed operation/moved up operation/insurance now/ no insurance later/cancer/ hopefully no cancer

I will hear this coming week what happened. (I know of suggestions that come to mind. Just have the old phone (if he still has it) reinstated temporarily -if possible-. Buy a HTC or Galaxy. Get his mom to pay for the operation. Just live with cancer a while. etc.

----

This past Friday evening, he goes to the Apple store to charge his phone.
They tell him "a shipment" just came in. (I don't know if it was dongles or chargers or both. Will check into it.)

The store asked him, "so I guess you want one." He said "I want two!"
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #175
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

The IPHONE 5 -because you obliviously need it !
The Iphone 5 is coming soon with features that will make you swoon
It's so much more than the Iphone 4, siri 2.0 it really steals the show !
http://youtu.be/AUGoLwlIPH8

Are Iphone 5 owners Hipsters ?
Yes be a hipster,a F****** hipster,we're so unique ! we're all the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yPfm...=UL1yPfmRoSfpA

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #176
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
The IPHONE 5 -because you obliviously need it !
The Iphone 5 is coming soon with features that will make you swoon
It's so much more than the Iphone 4, siri 2.0 it really steals the show !

http://youtu.be/AUGoLwlIPH8

Yes be a hipster,a F****** hipster,where so unique ! where all the same

http://youtu.be/1yPfmRoSfpA

I wonder if any of those people you have confused with 'hipsters' knows the difference between we're and where???
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #177
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Nokia thinks they are

JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #178
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

True, maybe the term

"iSensitive" is more appropriate than "iSheep."

But I am not really sure about "iHipster."
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #179
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Personally, I'm still waiting for the iClaudius.

It's been several centuries now.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #180
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Some people definitely are iSheep, I personally know a few. I am sure the are sSheep (Samsung sheep) or aSheep (Android sheep), too by now.That doesn't mean that somebody using that term is referring to every Apple user. Some forum members shouldn't be overly sensitive when they are not even the target of such comments. But it is part of Apple's success that quite a large number of people buy Apple products because they are Apple products, because they trust that what Apple brings to the table is what they want. And these people will most probably keep on buying Apple unless Apple disappoints them or others bring out some really exciting products.

It is my impression that non-Apple users in general do more research before they buy a product (a simple necessity because there are so many different choices available).

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote