Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
So did anyone else get the warranty?

I went ahead with the 4-year, $99 warranty (includes accidental handling damage). I like that there's no deductible or limit on how many times it is fixed and shipping both ways is included. I always get warranties on anything I don't want to re-buy. Now I can enjoy the reader to my heart's content

Anyone else purchased a warranty plan? Anyone used it?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
No, but I don't buy warranties on anything if I think I could find the cash to replace it. I figure all insurance is, on average, more expensive than the repairs I'm likely to pay for. But your election to do so might have been smarter. I would really hate to have to pay out another $300. And four years is a pretty long time for a new gadget.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

And the $99 is because I have accidental damage, it's cheaper without. I.e. it covers more than just the reader just malfunctioning. If it breaks during normal handling, they cover that too.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I bought the 3 year warranty with the accidental coverage for $70. I considered the 4 year extension but I think in 3 years it will be time to replace the 505 -- not because it won't function but because there will be significant advances in readers.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
mlove
Cat-loving cyclist
mlove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, IPhone
I got the 3 year warranty with accidental damage coverage after reading about people who had problems with their screens breaking accidentally. Usually I don't buy extended warranties.
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlove View Post
I got the 3 year warranty with accidental damage coverage after reading about people who had problems with their screens breaking accidentally. Usually I don't buy extended warranties.
Funny you mention that because I got the warranty because of a guy who posted here who almost didn't get his fixed for free. I don't bang it against a cement wall, but I put it in my purse and take it with me everywhere.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I figure all insurance is, on average, more expensive than the repairs I'm likely to pay for.
Sony wanted to charge me $270 to fix mine, so $99 for four years seems pretty good to me. My experience is that the eInk display is quite fragile. I did have a happy ending after getting some help from a Sony executive. It seems that the Sony repair service doesn't yet know how to price repairs for this device. I saw a price schedule for Sony's Vaio laptop repairs and it was $270.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think I would have had it been available, but the first exclusion excludes devices used outside the US, which makes it a non-starter for me.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
Sony wanted to charge me $270 to fix mine, so $99 for four years seems pretty good to me. My experience is that the eInk display is quite fragile. I did have a happy ending after getting some help from a Sony executive. It seems that the Sony repair service doesn't yet know how to price repairs for this device. I saw a price schedule for Sony's Vaio laptop repairs and it was $270.

PCH
You're the reason I got mine
Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I just pruchased the 505, retiring my 500 to the gym; I purchased the 2 year warranty with accidental ... in two years the ebook universe will be totally different!
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I didn't get the warranty for either my prs500 or my wife's... but I recommended it to my nephew for his prs505. Make that "...recommended it very strongly...", as he has a tendency to be hard on gadgets. Also, his Dad agreed to purchase the warranty for him "as long as it includes accidental damage" -- a deal that can't be beat! Now I just wonder whether he's done it...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's worth checking whether or not your house contents insurance includes cover for accidental damage to devices such as the Reader. Here in the UK at least, they generally do. Mine even gives me cover if the damage occurs away from the house.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's worth checking whether or not your house contents insurance includes cover for accidental damage to devices such as the Reader. Here in the UK at least, they generally do. Mine even gives me cover if the damage occurs away from the house.
Unfortunately here in the colonies most insurance policies have a deductible amount. The lower the deductible, the higher the premium. This helps to prevent frivolous claims and lowers premiums. An item such as a book reader would be unlikely to reach the deductible amount.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My policy has an "excess" (ie the amount that I have to pay myself) of £50 ($100). Still a lot cheaper than buying a new Reader .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm a little confused. I bought the 4 year warranty which includes "accidental damage" but only paid $59.00 (+ tax = $64.00).
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote