Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #61
packerzrock
packerzrock began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Reboot windows and select the "allow unsigned drivers" option. Others have reported success using that boot option.

Or run a 32-bit windows in a VM.
OK, so close I don't want to mess it up AGAIN

Created my own .inf file for it and we are good and flashed the "repaired" Diags and kernel files back, So now continue with the guide or do I remember something about you saying the rest in un-needed on the K4NT?

packerzrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The "repaired" Diags was just to get caught up to where you where at.

Now continue towards the original goal of "fixing" the main kernel and image.

(Note: The K4 & K5 are what is known elsewhere as "dual boot" machines.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #63
packerzrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "repaired" Diags was just to get caught up to where you where at.

Now continue towards the original goal of "fixing" the main kernel and image.

(Note: The K4 & K5 are what is known elsewhere as "dual boot" machines.)
OK, will continue to follow the guide, Just in case though, Are you aware of any other parts that are "K5" only that are not marked as such.

That last mess was a nightmare and don't want to ever do that again

Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No first hand knowledge here, perhaps someone else can answer.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #65
packerzrock

One more question to ponder while I am at work please.

I have rebooted after flashing the files and am currently at the part where I copy the file to the USB kindle setting before installing it as a NIC.

The guide is referencing file "mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img" but of course mine is a K4NT and not a K5.

The only files I have all end in the .bin extention. What file should I be using with the 4.0.0?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #66
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerzrock View Post
One more question to ponder while I am at work please.

I have rebooted after flashing the files and am currently at the part where I copy the file to the USB kindle setting before installing it as a NIC.

The guide is referencing file "mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img" but of course mine is a K4NT and not a K5.

The only files I have all end in the .bin extention. What file should I be using with the 4.0.0?

simple debricking sticky thread / debricking repair images / pastegin link / K4 4.0.0 URLs from mediafire. Extract any compressed images. Pay attention to the LABELS in the pastebin, not the filenames (before or after extracting). Perhaps rename the files so you can keep track of what you are using. Flash the kernel with fastboot, and the main partition with dd.

It is also possible to flash the kernel with dd in ssh (using an offset and length), instead of using fastboot, similar to how ixtab did it for the K5...

Our methods keep evolving to be simpler and easier, but you need to understand them enough to not use them incorrectly...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #67
packerzrock

Sweet success, Finally got it all running normally. Thanks so much for all the assists. Greatly appreciated

If there is any information you need to know about what transpired just message me and I will try to fill you in, if nothing more than to help fine tune the guide for a K4NT.

Made me a Happy Camper

Karma for both of you!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #68
knc1
Going Viral

Silver18 has only posted the *.pdf version, at least as far as I know about.
If the *.pdf version is a generated file (such as from some non-Adobe word processor), the source has not been posted.

The guide was written for the K5 because that is all Silver18 had to work with.
You could probably PM Silver18 and ask what form/format to send/post the K4 additions.
OR
I don't see any copyright or license statement in the document (but I am pretty sure its "Country of Original Publication" was Canada (this site) ), so it is probably still under the automatic copyright granted the original author.
So you could PM Silver18 for permission to derive a K4 guide from his Intellectual Property.

(Unless Silver18 adds an "Open Document" license to the next version, but don't hold your breath, the filename still has spaces in it after 4 revisions.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-26-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #69
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
The PDF is generated from a doc file.
I could:
- send you the doc
- add what you will send me
- append a new generated PDF from you

I don't really know anything about licenses and things like that.

AsRegardsSpacesInFilename,ThanksForPointingItOut.I WillRemoveThemAsSoonAsPackerzrockWillProvideSometh ingToUpdateTheGuide.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
The PDF is generated from a doc file.
I could:
- send you the doc
- add what you will send me
- append a new generated PDF from you

I don't really know anything about licenses and things like that.

AsRegardsSpacesInFilename,ThanksForPointingItOut.I WillRemoveThemAsSoonAsPackerzrockWillProvideSometh ingToUpdateTheGuide.
How about the one used for the Wiki materials:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

See this link for the body of text to put in an off-line work:
http://creativecommons.org/choose/no...on=3.0&lang=en

Even if your "Country of Original Publication" grants the original author a copyright on the material (USA and I think at least Canada does) - it would still not hurt to put a single line Copyright statement in the file.

If you don't reside in the "Country of Original Publication" (this web site is hosted in Canada), the general rule is you can choose to follow the practice of your "Country of Residence" or that of the "Country of Original Publication".

- - - -

I made this post over-long and over-detailed so it had all of the above details in one spot for other readers in the future.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #71
Max4711
Max4711 began at the beginning.

Device: K4
I followed this guide to unbrick my K4. I used FW 4.0.0 for that. Everything worked fine.

Then I've created the .assets file to remove the SO.

Now I have the problem that I cannot update to newer FW versions (neither 4.0.1 nor 4.1.0). I always get error U006. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong with my K4?
Max4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #72
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max4711 View Post
I followed this guide to unbrick my K4. I used FW 4.0.0 for that. Everything worked fine.

Then I've created the .assets file to remove the SO.

Now I have the problem that I cannot update to newer FW versions (neither 4.0.1 nor 4.1.0). I always get error U006. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong with my K4?
You probably need to put the original .assets folder back before updating your firmware.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #73
Max4711
Max4711 began at the beginning.

Device: K4
I tried it with deleting the .assets file, but still an U006. Then I noticed that the unbrick images seem to contain the screensaver hack (600x800 points to /mnt/us/screensavers and 600x800_ is the original directory). I've deleted the link and then renamed 600x800_ to 600x800, but I still get an U006.
Are there any other ideas out there?
Max4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #74
rynax
rynax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Tried on Windows 8.
On this step
Quote:
7) Soon, you’ll see your Kindle detected as a new device.
Your PC shouldn’t be able to find any driver, so let’s help it: point the driver path where you stored Kindle-Fastboot.inf and let the PC load the driver.
The driver failed to install, it says can't find the specific file. What file does it need other than the Kindle-Fastboot.inf? Does it want the libusb0.sys?
rynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #75
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Tried on Windows 7-32
I didn't need to install drivers manually. However instead of "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" I had "Xerox Service Port#3". And instead of "Kindle-Fastboot" I had "Kindle" as "libusb-win32 device".

I successfully debricked a Kindle Touch using the steps in this guide, thanks.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking