Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
JMyers
Enthusiast
JMyers began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
Question Viewing magazines

I am just wondering if anyone with a classic nook has gotten a magazine subscription or used the 14 day free trial. I just wonder how viewing the mags on a classic nook is.
Do you like it or hate it?
JMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have not gotten a subscription or the trial, but I have bought individual editions of the NY Times Book Review section ($.99). At least in the case of this particular magazine, it is completely reformatted, essentially into a linear format - i.e. just plain text. The information was there, but it does not look anything like a magazine.

For something like the NY Times Book Review, it works nicely, since you mostly want to read the reviews. If I remember correctly, there is some type of Contents, allowing you to jump to a particular review.

If you are worried about the look and feel of a particular magazine, I think it is a good idea to buy a single issue and try it. If you are worried about the way the subscription system works (when you get the issues, etc), I cannot help there.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
I agree with RAH, as I downloaded an issue of the WSJ and it wasn't worth subscribing due to the difficulty in going back and forth to read articles. It looks nothing like the printed page nor the online desktop browser version. It's a nice idea just not properly formatted.

As RAH says, buy a single issue and see if it's worth it to you.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
I bought an issue of Analog to try out. Not super impressed with the classic for magazines.

Though to be fair the same magazine on my nook color is also unimpressive because of how it's been stripped down and setup to be usable on the classic as well.

The navigation isn't very clear or easy to navigate but does work once you get used to it.

For literary magazines (like Analog) where the focus is on the writing then either nook is at lest passable. But for magazines that fit what most people think of as mainstream magazines with glossy pages and lots of pictures the nook color is the only way to go - they aren't even available on the nook classic and I can fully understand why. (though to be honest I'm not very impressed with the fancy full color magazines on the color either. Found them tricky to read and the max zoom was less than I would have liked.)
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
JMyers
Enthusiast
JMyers began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
Well I used to get the Reader's Digest and always liked it so maybe I will use the Free offer and check it out.
JMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
I enjoy reading the Readers Digest on my NOOKclassic, it works quite well apart from it being US-centric, but thats what I get for buying a US-only device

For what it is and the price, its much better than the pMagazine version of Readers Digest.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
morean51
morean51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i liked it i have used trial version of it planning to go for premium
morean51 is offline   Reply With Quote