Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Question about importing meta data tags from HTML

Hi,

I often work with a script called xpml2xhtml.py that converts pml to xhtml and then use Sigil to make the epub.

Typically this involves importing a single html file that has meta information in the head of the html file:

For example:

<meta name="Title" content="The Iraq Study Group Report" />
<meta name="Author" content="James A. Baker, III, and Lee H. Hamilton" />
<meta name="Publisher" content="Government of the United States" />

I assume that I can simply use the QDomDocument approach to get easy access to all of these meta tags and their values. Otherwise getting them via regular expressions is not that hard either.

Would it be of any interest to you if I tried to create a patch that did something like this so that the meta info dialog is filled in based on these values upon import of an html file?

A project like that would be a useful way to force myself to get more up to speed on the code while trying to help out in some way, but I don't want to step on any feet so to speak.

If you think something like this would be useful, I would be happy to give it a try over the holidays.

Take care,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
A project like that would be a useful way to force myself to get more up to speed on the code while trying to help out in some way, but I don't want to step on any feet so to speak.

If you think something like this would be useful, I would be happy to give it a try over the holidays.
This would be very useful, yes. Take a look at this issue on the tracker. That's what I'd like to support: Dublin Core metadata in HTML files.

But you've possibly picked the wrong time to get up to speed on the code. I'm neck deep in the 0.2.0 redesign and even now, 10% through, the architecture is substantially different. But since you'll be working on metadata detection for HTML, that should nicely survive the other changes I'm currently making.

Basically yes, I like this idea a lot. Don't use regular expressions though. Use QDomDocument.

You can contact me over email if you wish to discuss this further.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:11 AM   #33
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I've deleted /opt/sigil and installed the Linux 64-bit 1.6b version.

Still getting the same error:

Code:
sigil: symbol lookup error: sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev
Any suggestions?

m a r

EDIT: Okay, it's something to do with the /usr/bin/sigil link. The desktop file that is installed to the Desktop points to /opt/sigil/sigil.sh, and that works fine. /usr/bin/sigil points to /opt/sigil/sigil. I've updated my panel launcher, so I'm good from here, but just typing sigil at a command prompt does not work. Double-clicking on /opt/sigil/sigil in Thunar works fine, too. Thanks!

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-24-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: updated info
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #34
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
I've deleted /opt/sigil and installed the Linux 64-bit 1.6b version.

Still getting the same error:
Had you uninstalled Sigil instead of just deleting the folder, you wouldn't have this problem.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #35
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Just used the uninstaller, and reinstalled Sigil. Exact same issue.

Tried to make a link to /opt/sigil/sigil.sh -- made an infinite loop of sigils launching (mistake!)

Can you explain what should be done to avoid the error from the command line?

No worries, not urgent,

m a r
Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #36
Valloric

Quote:
Just used the uninstaller, and reinstalled Sigil. Exact same issue.

Tried to make a link to /opt/sigil/sigil.sh -- made an infinite loop of sigils launching (mistake!)

Can you explain what should be done to avoid the error from the command line?
You need to use the uninstaller of the version you used to install Sigil. Goes without saying.

If you use the uninstaller provided with the current release of Sigil, it will not remove the shortcut in /usr/bin/. Why? Because the current Sigil installer doesn't create one, so there's nothing to remove. And I'm not going to make the uninstaller remove files the installer didn't install.

With regards to the infinite loop problem... that's the reason why there's no shortcut in 0.1.6 . The thing is, 0.1.6. for linux had issues because now Sigil is using the Nokia provided binaries of Qt. So I quickly made the b version for linux that uses the bash script for launching. The script appends the current working directory to the library search path so the Sigil Qt libs are picked up. This is a Nokia provided script.

Since I was pressed for time to update the linux version, I didn't modify the script to fix this shortcut problem. I just removed the shortcut from the installer. There's little point in it anyway, since you have the desktop shortcut and one in the "start" menu as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
rogue_ronin
Banned

Sorta thought that's what was going on, after glancing through the script.

I deleted the /usr/bin/sigil link myself -- as you say, I'm good with the desktop file. The only reason to launch from command line is for error output, and if I need that, I'll just remember to migrate to the /opt/sigil folder and launch it.

I'm looking forward to 2.0 -- thanks for your commitment to this, and the great work.

m a r
Old 12-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #38
rogue_ronin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That's what I'd like to support: Dublin Core metadata in HTML files.
I see by the issue tracker that you've done this. Is there a list somewhere with the values and format that you're supporting? I have a large macro library that I'd like to use Dublin Core with -- it currently has a simple, custom metadata system that should be pretty easy to convert. It'd be smart of me to match what's developing here.

Thanks,

m a r
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #39
Valloric

Quote:
Is there a list somewhere with the values and format that you're supporting?
If you saw the issue, you should have also seen my comment pointing to the official Dublin Core page specifying the format of the metadata entries: Expressing Dublin Core metadata using HTML/XHTML meta and link elements.

All DC metadata entries the epub spec supports should be supported.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #40
rogue_ronin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If you saw the issue, you should have also seen my comment pointing to the official Dublin Core page specifying the format of the metadata entries: Expressing Dublin Core metadata using HTML/XHTML meta and link elements.

All DC metadata entries the epub spec supports should be supported.
I did. I read through it until my brain broke, and I even scanned through the source file on your page. Unfortunately, neither of these sources are explicit about the values, it's all inferred. The DC-HTML-2008 version spends a lot of time discussing things like "literal-value surrogates" and the like. It's as if there's an entire organization there for librarians with Aspberger's.

I'll take another look today. And I'll try to extract a list for others to use.

A basic meta tag, such as:

Code:
<meta name="DC.title" content="A Princess of Mars" />
seems pretty straight-forward.

But if you could answer this question: where are you storing values like "Author", "Editor", etc., for tags that have refinements (as they're referred to in the 2003 spec?)

Is it

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.author" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or is it something else (like role="aut"), and are you supporting all the MARC relator codes?

Similarly, what time/date events are you supporting, and how to code them? ie: what values are being used? There are different values in different sources and examples:

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.published" content="1912" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.publication" content="1912" />
etc. The ePub metadata layout is XML, and it's pretty clear about where and how to stash the data. Values are clearly defined. The problem with the XHTML meta tags is in what the 2003 spec called "refinements". Just looking for some guidance on that.

Using the <link> tag is beyond me at the moment.

Thanks for reading,

m a r
Old 12-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
rogue_ronin
Banned

I've started an XHTML/Dublin Core Metadata discussion here.

m a r
Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #42
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
MacPorts released

I have just uploaded the new MacPorts version which now compiles with SnowLeopard. Sorry it took so long.

The new version needs "qt4-mac-devel" which conflicts with "qt-mac". On SnowLeopard you might need to explicitly choose the "+x86_64" variant.

The good news: The MacPorts version is only 2,3M on your hard-drive.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
Valloric

Quote:
I did. I read through it until my brain broke, and I even scanned through the source file on your page. Unfortunately, neither of these sources are explicit about the values, it's all inferred. The DC-HTML-2008 version spends a lot of time discussing things like "literal-value surrogates" and the like. It's as if there's an entire organization there for librarians with Aspberger's.
It's a bit dry, isn't it?

Quote:
But if you could answer this question: where are you storing values like "Author", "Editor", etc., for tags that have refinements (as they're referred to in the 2003 spec?)

Is it

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.author" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" content="Edgar Rice Burroughs" />
or is it something else (like role="aut"), and are you supporting all the MARC relator codes?
It's "DC.creator.aut". And yes, all the MARC relator codes are supported. All 200+.

Quote:
Similarly, what time/date events are you supporting, and how to code them? ie: what values are being used? There are different values in different sources and examples:

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.published" content="1912" />
or

Code:
<meta name="DC.date.publication" content="1912" />
"issued" (for publication), "created" (for creation) and "modified" (for modification) are currently supported. I have just added support for "published" (again for publication).

The DC people are not programmers and I doubt a single one was consulted during the process of creating that spec so it's highly ambiguous. So Kevin (who contributed the code) smartly chose to follow the conventions used in that document. So the date events are past tense verbs, not nouns.

I'll make Sigil choose either, so you'll be able to use nouns too. But only for publication, creation and modification. Those are the only event dates supported, since those are the ones the epub spec mentions. Everything else is completely arbitrary and thus not supported.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-26-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #44
rogue_ronin
Banned

That is excellent, and just what I was hoping to learn. And supporting what's in the ePub spec makes perfect sense. I may have a few more questions about what is supported, but I see that Kevin has answered me in the other thread, so I'll start over there.

Thanks as always,

m a r
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The command are:

$ chmod +x Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
$ sudo ./Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
Can the (Linux, (Ubuntu?)) Installation notes page include these steps please?
I was not sure if I needed to run with root privileges ( sudo ).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote