Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If books worked like Amazons new CD/MP3 plan....

then we'd get a free ebook with the purchase of a pbook....hmmmm....

Quote:
Amazon to give music CD buyers a free digital version
50,000 titles included, as largest etailer targets iTunes

Amazon.com Inc., taking aim at Apple's dominant iTunes store, on Thursday unveiled a service that it hopes will boost digital music sales and encourage more people to use its Cloud music service.

It launched Amazon AutoRip, which gives customers free digital versions of music CDs they buy from the world's largest Internet retailer.

The digital music files are automatically stored in customer libraries in remote datacenters run by Amazon, where they are available to play or download immediately through its Cloud Player service, the company said.

Amazon customers who have bought AutoRip-eligible CDs at any time since the company started selling discs in 1998 will get digital versions stored in their Cloud Player libraries for free, the company added.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2359412.story
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Love them or hate them, they know how to run a successful business.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It would be great to get the e-books that way, wouldn't it?

My first reaction to the Auto-Rip idea was ho-hum, but then I discovered that Amazon now has given me mp3 versions of a number of CDs I bought and gave as gifts, and therefore never ripped myself, so that was a nice bonus. On the other hand, only a small fraction of the CDs I bought over the years were included in the program.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I bought a bundle on Amazon where you got the Blu-Ray of Downton Abbey plus you got the ability to stream it. It was a few dollars more than just the Blu-Ray, but I thought it was worthwhile.

I think bundling paper books with e-books would be a good idea. Get people to pay a little bit more to get both.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I keep reading that they'll GIVE you mp3s, but aren't they just letting you listen to the mp3s? Can you actually download the files, or do they only let you stream them?
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I keep reading that they'll GIVE you mp3s, but aren't they just letting you listen to the mp3s? Can you actually download the files, or do they only let you stream them?
I've downloaded other music from the cloud player. Just like kIndle booKs (I hope I spelled that correctly).
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
So what's the Royalties situation?

I don't get it because it seems to be such that you buy one CD and get another copy free.

Is that twice the Royalties to be received by muso's?

And if it's not twice the Royalties, then why aren't ebooks covered by a mutli format arrangement as well?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
And if it's not twice the Royalties, then why aren't ebooks covered by a mutli format arrangement as well?
Because Amazon apparently has zero interest in having customers outside their carefully fenced-in Kindle garden and so has no incentive to offer, say, ePub along with the Kindle format(s).

You might notice that many indie authors and even publishers like All Romance EBooks (I think, I'm too lazy to check right now) do offer multi-format arrangements.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Because Amazon apparently has zero interest in having customers outside their carefully fenced-in Kindle garden and so has no incentive to offer, say, ePub along with the Kindle format(s).

You might notice that many indie authors and even publishers like All Romance EBooks (I think, I'm too lazy to check right now) do offer multi-format arrangements.
Hi Gudy, I don't mean 2 different ebook formats, I mean paper and e formats.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
So what's the Royalties situation?

I don't get it because it seems to be such that you buy one CD and get another copy free.

Is that twice the Royalties to be received by muso's?
My understanding of UK copyright law (it may be different in the US - fair use may come into it, we don't have fair use in the UK) is that, unless they had an agreement with the music/book publishers, they'd need to pay for two copies (one CD copy, one MP3 copy), and then the music label & the artist would simply treat it as two sales and split the proceeds from those sales however their contract dictated.

Quote:
I'd speculate that Amazon have made a deal with some music labels, hence why only some CDs are covered. If I'm right, to do the same with books they'd need to make a deal with publishers, and I suspect the big publishers wouldn't be in a hurry to make such a deal.

Last edited by avantman42; 01-11-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity and to fix a typo
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I think bundling paper books with e-books would be a good idea. Get people to pay a little bit more to get both.
It does happen at least in some niche stores. The OneBookShelf stores (who mainly sell RPG/wargaming books) mainly sell ebooks, but they introduced a print-on-demand program a while ago. If a book is available in ebook and paper formats, you can optionally set a price for the combined print and ebook.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It would be great to get the e-books that way, wouldn't it?

My first reaction to the Auto-Rip idea was ho-hum, but then I discovered that Amazon now has given me mp3 versions of a number of CDs I bought and gave as gifts, and therefore never ripped myself, so that was a nice bonus. On the other hand, only a small fraction of the CDs I bought over the years were included in the program.
This is exactly my *problem*. Physical audio CD's are typically gifted in my family. I find myself with access to a bunch of music in which I have no personal interest (Sting, Styx, Lady Gaga). Tonight, I'll check my wife's account. I bet she has the Skinny Puppy, Alice Cooper and Alejandro Escovedo.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
then we'd get a free ebook with the purchase of a pbook....hmmmm....
I suspect that brick and mortar stores would be doing a little better if this applied to them, and if the store didn't have to pay for the ebook. Not a lot better, because reading books has to compete with many other forms of entertainment these days. People who wanted to try out ereading would be more motivated to continue shopping in person.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
This is exactly my *problem*. Physical audio CD's are typically gifted in my family. I find myself with access to a bunch of music in which I have no personal interest (Sting, Styx, Lady Gaga). Tonight, I'll check my wife's account. I bet she has the Skinny Puppy, Alice Cooper and Alejandro Escovedo.
Yep, same here, I just had a bunch of music added that I really don't care/listen to.

This also makes me wonder why this is not a copyright violation. Gifts are not 'personal use' ??
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Update: well, it took a while for them to load everything, but a LOT of stuff has appeared in my cloud account. I can even "delete" the Abba and Carly Simon, and make a pretty cool early-80's playlist from the days I was replacing my vinyl Devo, Pretenders and The Who...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote