Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
annoporci
Enthusiast
annoporci began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019, Firmware 5.12.4
Managing Collections Efficiently with Kindle Touch

I have a Kindle Touch, latest firmware 5.1.2. No jailbreak, No registration. I also have Kindle PC.

Problem: Setting up collections FAST.

I have hundreds of pdf articles and a small number of books in various formats. I'm just looking at a simple system, for instance filing stuff into categories like: 1. Articles, 2. Novels, 3. Other.

I don't want to spend a lot of time doing this. I know how to do it from the Kindle Touch menu, but I want to avoid that as I find it too slow. I dump dozens of pdf articles into my kindle almost everyday, remove them, add new ones, etc.. Therefore, I would like to do this from the PC (Windows, Linux, Mac, name your solution I'm flexible). Another reason is I use multiple PCs (work, home, laptop), keep them in sync, and like to back things up several times over, including my Kindle content. I currently manage everything from the PC and copy-paste into the Kindle folders, which is very fast, but doesn't "produce" collections even if the documents are in separate folders.

The ideal would be a script that would convert a folder hierarchy into an equivalent collection. (There seems to be ways to do that for the NON-Touch Kindles, but, let me insist on this: I have a Kindle Touch.)

On a related topic, The first day I got the Kindle I spent hours downloading free books from amazon, but I have currently quarantined them out of my kindle because they have names like B000JMLPBC_EBOK, "coded names" instead of intuitive names like
"Potter, Beatrix - The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse", and that's incompatible with my practice of copy-pasting books from my PC to my Kindle. So my bonus question: Is there a way to rename the files automatically?

Thanks!

NOTE: I posted a nearly identical question on kindleboards where someone suggested I post here instead.
annoporci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd recommend checking the dev subforum for ixtab's Collections Manager .

(So, that means a jailbroken device, but, on the Toch/PW, you can pretty much forget working with collections on a vanilla device anyway).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
annoporci
Enthusiast

jailbreak+ixtab

> I'd recommend checking the dev subforum for ixtab's Collections Manager .

Roger that NiLuJe, will follow up on it.

> on the Touch/PW, you can pretty much forget working with collections on a vanilla device

I was getting pretty close to that conclusion, so it's at the same time reassuring and depressing to hear it from an expert.

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
annoporci
Enthusiast

jailbreak ADVICE for Kindle Touch 5.2.1

NiLuJe, if I may,

I'm looking to jailbreak and install version 2.1.0 of the Collections Manager.

The thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2165923) lists the following requirements:

1. Jailbreak
2. Kindlet Jailbreak
3. Firmware 5.1.0 - 5.1.2
4. JBPatch or Developer Certificates Bundle

I'm a little confused about item 1 and item 4.

A)

Item 1 links to the wiki page referenced below, which lists different jailbreak methods. I'm trying to identify the method that would be appropriate for my firmware. I have the latest firmware 5.1.2. I am guessing that I want to use the data.tar.gz method/Universal_Method, i.e. the file jailbreak_kt510.zip, is that about right?

The confusing thing is that the wiki page talks about firmware 5.2.0, which doesn't yet exist as far as I can make out from the amazon page referenced below.

References:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

B)

In item 4 above, it says JBPatch OR DCB, so which one would you recommend?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@annoporci:

A/ PaperWhite == 5.2.0, so, anything that supports 5.2.0 (meaning the simple method).

B/ No need to bother with anything else, the JailBreak already installs the DCB. (The only time you might need to reinstall the dev certs is after a factory reset).
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@annoporci:

A/ PaperWhite == 5.2.0, so, anything that supports 5.2.0 (meaning the simple method).

B/ No need to bother with anything else, the JailBreak already installs the DCB. (The only time you might need to reinstall the dev certs is after a factory reset).
This is not entirely correct: You will also need to reinstall the certificates if you unregister and re-register your Kindle.* Just go with JBPatch - it may well have some other features that you might like

(*) unless you install JBPatch - one of its features is precisely that it installs the certificates when required.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Oh, right, I was thinking of unregister, but somehow ended up writing factory reset instead... .

(Although, a factory reset obviously kills it too since it wipes /var/local, but, still ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-16-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
annoporci
Enthusiast

thanks

thanks NiLuJe, thanks ixtab, as soon as I find a 4-hour window I'll get a can of red bull, amulets, and go ahead with the jailbreak!

[EDIT] Question: Do I need to register? I haven't so far, will it give me something I don't have if I do register? or just allow amazon to peek over my shoulder?

Last edited by annoporci; 10-17-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@annoporci: AFAIK, no, you don't. CM will let you work with collections on an unregistered device.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
annoporci
Enthusiast

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
rkillings
rkillings is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Kindlean does what you want: create collections on your computer, drag and drop books into them, disconnect your Kindle Touch … and then reboot it several times.
The program, from Russia, is not free, but it's not expensive either.
rkillings is offline   Reply With Quote