Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Am I doing something wrong?

I bought my NC last night and installed CM7 to the microSD card - everything is running fine.

This morning I began downloading apps from the Android Market, and it is taking *forever*. It's been downloading now for 10 hours and I've only got six apps installed. The grand total of apps I'm trying to download can't be more than 40mb worth of data, and I have a fast DSL connection and fast wireless modem.

So, is this normal (in which case, how do you stand it?) or is there a better way to do this?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Something is wrong but I am not sure what. I recently did the CM7 to sd card and have downloaded about 8 apps. I don't think any took more than a minute.

Could it be your router settings that are only permitting a very slow transfer of info? When you are using the browser does it work reasonably fast.

As it only takes a short time you could try reimaging your SD card and starting fresh and see if that helps
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
eric50
eric50 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
It took me a couple of hours to download the google apps plus a couple of others. I do not know if this is normal but I did this after putting the gapps image on the the SD card and not rebooting before installing the other apps. I have not tried adding anymore apps yet. I am using a Class 4 card and do not know it this plays any role in the download speeds or if the servers at google were overloaded. Youtube videos played just fine without any skipping. I do know that it is slow sometimes and I get "force close" events and just press wait and everything eventually works itself out.
eric50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Something is wrong but I am not sure what. I recently did the CM7 to sd card and have downloaded about 8 apps. I don't think any took more than a minute.

Could it be your router settings that are only permitting a very slow transfer of info? When you are using the browser does it work reasonably fast.

As it only takes a short time you could try reimaging your SD card and starting fresh and see if that helps
I reimaged, which fixed the immediate problem, but it hung up again and I had to reimage again this morning.

Apparently I can't download more than one thing at a time. So now it's up and running again, but the browser is really slow (I downloaded Dolphin HD browser as it was highly recommended) and Pandora keeps crashing.

I've gone back to the original OS for the time being, and am going to try a larger SD card later today after I get to Staples (I'm using 2gb right now).

If that doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll wait until they update autonooter to the 1.2 version.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I reimaged, which fixed the immediate problem, but it hung up again and I had to reimage again this morning.

Apparently I can't download more than one thing at a time. So now it's up and running again, but the browser is really slow (I downloaded Dolphin HD browser as it was highly recommended) and Pandora keeps crashing.

I've gone back to the original OS for the time being, and am going to try a larger SD card later today after I get to Staples (I'm using 2gb right now).

If that doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll wait until they update autonooter to the 1.2 version.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Make sure your SD card is rated Class 6. That is considered fast enough, some people seem to have had problems with class 10 cards. A lot of the cards are only class 2 & class 4 rated. Bets to have class 6. The number refers to how many MBT's a second the card can transfer. I am in Canada but someone said Target or Walmart carried class 6 cards at reasonable prices.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
khalleron
Kate

After reimaging yet again with an 8gb SD card, everything is now fine. I'm still downloading only one app at a time to be on the safe side, but there's a marked increase in speed and stability.

So my original card was either too small or too slow.

How do you tell what class card you have? I've looked all over both cards and their packaging, and I can't see any indication of class.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
How do you tell what class card you have? I've looked all over both cards and their packaging, and I can't see any indication of class.
Look on your card for a little circle with a number in it, but they don't always say and even if they do it's not always accurate.

On the slow downloads, I read something on XDA about some folks having that problems and solving it by disabling UPnP on their routers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote