Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
There's a menu option to put wi-fi on standby, which puts the connection to "sleep" in a sense. It's on, but not connected or searching for a connection until you do something that requires wireless. It saves battery over having it completely on all the time, but it has to connect (which could take 10 seconds like it does for me on this wireless connection, or longer if the connection is not as good). You can turn wi-fi completely off through a menu or with the switch, and when you turn the switch back to 'on' it will go back to the menu setting you had it on before (standby, or completely on). You can also turn the 3G off entirely in the menu, which I've done since the access out here isn't good and it drains the battery.

There is also a menu option for network settings. That's where you can configure your wireless networks and enter passwords. You *should* only have to do it once per network, and the settings will be maintained. The user guide says you can have up to 20 configured. It will automatically try to connect to whatever connection is available that you connected to last, but you can also go right back to network settings and pick the one you want to connect to.

My connection here is unsecured. Some people seem to have trouble with specific kinds of routers. There are a few threads in the Sony forum you can look through to get an idea about the wireless problems people have had.
Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sorry, Poppaea, but the 950 is made in Japan -- it clearly says so on the back of my 950. The 350 and 650 are made in China.
Thank you for the information! I thought all X50 were manufactured in China.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
My network - the one I have problems over - is unsecured, but requires a web-browser login (to accept terms).

But there is something I don't understand here. If I am not connected to wifi and click on the wikipedia link, I get an error message saying that I need to be connected. But reading some of the posts above, users are saying that the device will connect automatically when clicking on that. Not sure if I have something setup incorrectly, but that's not how mine is working.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
You might want to wait for a pocketbook 603 or 903 which should be available soon.

Otherwise just get what you want! I went over budget on my PB 602 but I'm glad that I did.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
My network - the one I have problems over - is unsecured, but requires a web-browser login (to accept terms).

But there is something I don't understand here. If I am not connected to wifi and click on the wikipedia link, I get an error message saying that I need to be connected. But reading some of the posts above, users are saying that the device will connect automatically when clicking on that. Not sure if I have something setup incorrectly, but that's not how mine is working.
I suppose it's possible that the login is giving it problems, since it can't connect directly to wikipedia. If I try to connect with the wi-fi switch set to off, then I get an error message, but if it's just on standby (not connected to anything, but wi-fi is on) it connects just fine. I haven't tried using wikipedia on a network with browser login yet.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert