Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The Carriers should just say NO! to Apple.

The Carriers should just say NO!

For carriers, the iPhone is a bittersweet drug
by Roger Cheng January 26, 2012 6:51 AM PS

"Could the wireless carriers actually be addicted to the iPhone?

By now, it's well understood that the iPhone is a double-edged sword for the wireless carriers. On one side, Apple's smartphone is a pricey device to carry, requiring an unusually high subsidy that carriers must pay to keep it affordable enough for the masses. On the other, it leads to more loyal customers who pay more each month.

Furthermore, the telecom companies get to wrap themselves in the hip vibe that Apple brings to its products and partners, and can you put a price on being cool?

Apparently, you can, and it's a steep one. The dilemma for the carriers is that with each successful quarter of iPhone sales, there is a corresponding hit to their profit as a result of the extra subsidies paid out, as illustrated by Verizon and AT&T's fourth-quarter results. (Sprint Nextel hasn't reported yet, but will likely see a similar impact.)... "

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...CmoreStories.0

Personally, I think my relatives and friends are crazy to pay for an iPhone as much as they do. I didn't know the carriers were crazy too.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I suspect the carriers are more upset that they don't get to slap all their logos and proprietary services on the iPhone.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL! Not gonna happen. iPhone was 81% of all smartphones sold by AT&T last quarter. (7.6 million iPhones vs. 9.4 million total smartphones).
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Sprint, meanwhile, has more at stake than anyone else. The company has basically bet its financial future on the success of the iPhone, reportedly committing to pay Apple $20 billion for 30 million iPhones for the next four years.
Holy batflaps, grandma. That's a lot of money.

I hope this doesn't make me too bad of a person...But, if/when the iPhone crashes, I'll laugh heartily. Not because of Apple failing, but because of the carriers putting so much faith in one thing, and then they'll have to scurry to pick up the pieces.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Holy batflaps, grandma. That's a lot of money.

I hope this doesn't make me too bad of a person...But, if/when the iPhone crashes, I'll laugh heartily. Not because of Apple failing, but because of the carriers putting so much faith in one thing, and then they'll have to scurry to pick up the pieces.
After their last quarter's sales I really recommend that you don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen... unless you like the colour blue...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I no longer think I know much about money and investments.

I try to be frugal, and just deal in cash these days. If I have extra money I just sock it away in a safe deposit box so the government and other people can't track it. (These days you don't lose any or very much interest doing that.) I usually pay the total for purchases up front or on one of those interest free 90 day things, and avoid borrowing money. The reasons are many and varied. If I can, I pay for things and services with things and services of my own. I trade a lot. No taxes, no record.
I lost a lot of money in the dot.com bust and more in the housing bust. I have been cheated. I bought a few houses for some ex-wives, but I have already covered that.

Anyway, I think the carriers are using that old plan of "trying to make up for losses on each unit, with volume." Even I have learned that doesn't work.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
They do make it up. 2 years of contract @ $35 a month for a data plan more than makes up for the $400 subsidy to Apple.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Anyway, I think the carriers are using that old plan of "trying to make up for losses on each unit, with volume." Even I have learned that doesn't work.
They're not making up for the deep subsidies simply via volume. They do that by locking you into a 2-year contract ($55/month minimum but usually $80 or higher more often than not) with hefty early termination fees. Granted, because of the deeper subsidies, it does mean they make less profit on iPhone customers than they do on, say, Android or WP7 users but make no mistake, they still do rake in a lot of profit. Verizon initially said no to the iPhone (mostly because of the lack of control). It would appear that Verizon has weighed the pros and cons and figured that the pros outweighed the cons or they wouldn't be carrying the iPhone now.

It would be interesting to see whether Apple can maintain its dominance with Jobs gone.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

heySkippy quote:
"They do make it up. 2 years of contract @ $35 a month for a data plan more than makes up for the $400 subsidy to Apple. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
They're not making up for the deep subsidies simply via volume. They do that by locking you into a 2-year contract ($55/month minimum but usually $80 or higher more often than not) with hefty early termination fees. Granted, because of the deeper subsidies, it does mean they make less profit on iPhone customers than they do on, say, Android or WP7 users but make no mistake, they still do rake in a lot of profit. Verizon initially said no to the iPhone (mostly because of the lack of control). It would appear that Verizon has weighed the pros and cons and figured that the pros outweighed the cons or they wouldn't be carrying the iPhone now.

It would be interesting to see whether Apple can maintain its dominance with Jobs gone.
Hey guys and gals. Read the article. Verizon lost money.

And one thing I am still not sure about is how that the customers upgrading also costs them money.
Explain that someone! If a customer enters into a 2 year contract and gets a subsidy for the first iPhone, and then 6 months or a year down the road, decides to upgrade the iPhone which would bump them into another 2 year contract, do they then get another subsidy?

I could see that really playing hell with the bottom line. And those iPhone users upgrade every time the color changes, or they add a suffix to the number.

Last edited by SeaKing; 01-26-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The carriers pay upfront for the iPhone subsidy (as they do ALL of their phones)...and make it back, and then some, monthly.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I bought one for my wife for Christmas. $1 delivery, nothing up front.
I pay $60 a month. 1.5 gig data, free sms, $500 calls @ 90c minute.
She thinks the sun shines from my "you not what".
Spoiler:
The music dock cost me two hundred bucks for her birthday this week
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The carriers pay upfront for the iPhone subsidy (as they do ALL of their phones)...and make it back, and then some, monthly.

This might be the key... they (Verizon) might have brought on a lot of former AT&T customers who were sticking with AT&T despite the rumored poor coverage because they wanted to stay with the iPhone. Now that Verizon had the iPhone they could switch, meaning that the big red took a big hit up front, but that'll be made up over the next two years.

I'm probably VZW's worst nightmare... grandfathered into an older cheaper plan, grandfathered into unlimited data, still had a new every two upgrade discount [making the phone even cheaper], no texting, a LOT of in-network calling, and receiving a 22% corporate discount through my employer... I pay < $90/mo for three lines (only one has data) and paid $160 OUT THE DOOR [though, of course, subsidized] for my iPhone 4S.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I've been with AT&T for about 8 years now; 7 of them without contract. We have so many rollover minutes that I never pay more than monthly minimum. But what bothers AT&T is that I have no data plans, and am not interested in one. Every couple of months they offer me a good upgrade deal, which I turn down because it would require a contract. Lately, the offers have been for a couple of free iPhones.

I'm not at all interested in the iPhone (or Apple anything for that matter). What I am interested in and waiting for are the smart phones running Windows 8. Then I may be tempted and if I am, I'll be free to get the best deal with any carrier.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Hey guys and gals. Read the article. Verizon lost money.
I don't see anything in the article which says that, overall, Verizon is looking money on iPhone customers.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I bought one for my wife for Christmas. $1 delivery, nothing up front.
I pay $60 a month. 1.5 gig data, free sms, $500 calls @ 90c minute.
She thinks the sun shines from my "you not what".
Spoiler:
The music dock cost me two hundred bucks for her birthday this week
Whoaa!
90 cents a minute? WTF???
In Sweden I pay 19 öre or 0.19 SEK a minute that translates into 2.8 cents a minute. I always assumed that cell phone minute rates were a lot cheaper in the US. I'm not even on a plan, I have a cash refill setup, pay in advance (say $20) and call for that until it reaches zero.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote