Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Need help with wiki for Mobi

I have started a page in the wiki to compare the mobi features of the various readers. It will take me a long time to figure everything out so I thought I would ask for some help.

Mobi Comparison is the name of the page. I have three tables. The entries are fairly obvious but ask here if you don't understand. Another section may be appropriate for conversion tools but I haven't decided yet. There may be more differences than I have identified. If so please add lines. So far I have grouped all PDA's in the same column but it may be that that will need to change as well.

It is only a skeleton but hopefully when it gets filled in it will be useful for people needing to support MOBI.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is only a skeleton but hopefully when it gets filled in it will be useful for people needing to support MOBI.
I'd suggest ditching the codes and going with the actual names in the columns, and possibly "rotating" it, so that the devices are the rows. That's the way Wikipedia seems to do it for comparisons and it makes it easier to tell what's going on...

I noticed that the Kindle has "N" in the "PalmDOC support" row -- does that just mean that the Kindle doesn't support non-BOOKMOBI PalmDOC files, or does it actually mean that it doesn't support BOOKMOBI files with PalmDOC compression?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
I'd suggest ditching the codes and going with the actual names in the columns, and possibly "rotating" it, so that the devices are the rows. That's the way Wikipedia seems to do it for comparisons and it makes it easier to tell what's going on...

I noticed that the Kindle has "N" in the "PalmDOC support" row -- does that just mean that the Kindle doesn't support non-BOOKMOBI PalmDOC files, or does it actually mean that it doesn't support BOOKMOBI files with PalmDOC compression?
Thanks for the suggestions. All of the other wiki tables in mobileread put the devices across the top. I will look into ditching the coded entries for a while unless the table gets too wide. For now it would be fine.

It seems that Amazon has failed to interpret the TEXt format as a legal format for reading. They could easily fix this but seem to have chosen not to I believe. Or perhaps they only ignore the .pdb extension. Someone will have to test this by changing the extension and trying it. I have found, for example, that they will read html files if they have a .txt extension so their parser seems a bit brain dead. I don't own one of these units so I am only reporting information from the forum where someone said they tried to read a palmdoc file and it would not work, but that was before I learned how dumb their parser was.

Dale
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Someone will have to test this by changing the extension and trying it. ... I don't own one of these units so I am only reporting information from the forum where someone said they tried to read a palmdoc file and it would not work, but that was before I learned how dumb their parser was.
I'll test anything in my Kindle or Blackberry 8700C (older Blackberry). Just point me at a test-case file. Speaking of which, seems like it would be a good idea to have a set of test-case files in the wiki to use to verify future devices.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have added a OpenInkPot column and filled in some FBReader, Hanlin, iLiad and Kindle entries. Please check the changes. I may have overwritten recent changes to other columns.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is anyone using uBook for MOBI? This is a potential addition to the tables.

Stanza for iPhone may also be a better choice than Stanza Desktop. Anyone willing to fill in the SZ column?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. All of the other wiki tables in mobileread put the devices across the top. I will look into ditching the coded entries for a while unless the table gets too wide. For now it would be fine.
Hmm. Maybe all the other tables should be changed too? Well, you know, eventually . I'm guessing that's why Wikipedia does it the other way. With enough devices, even codes would eventually result in too wide a table. Doing it the other way just means splitting into more tables based on logical categories of features.

Quote:
It seems that Amazon has failed to interpret the TEXt format as a legal format for reading.
Oh, ok. Because that row is right below the "HUFF/CDIC compression" row, I was concerned it might mean that the Kindle didn't support PalmDOC compression, which would be... weird.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Is anyone using uBook for MOBI? This is a potential addition to the tables.

Stanza for iPhone may also be a better choice than Stanza Desktop. Anyone willing to fill in the SZ column?
Stanza for the iphone does not support Mobipocket. It does support eReader. There is no iPhone application that supports Mobipocket native code.

I have added a column for uBook. Thanks for catching that, I had forgotten that one and a search for mobi did not turn it up since the description calls it prc.

Irex Digital Reader also supports MOBI. I assume it is the same as the iLiad. Does anyone know for sure?

Dale
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
rex Digital Reader also supports MOBI. I assume it is the same as the iLiad. Does anyone know for sure?
I think the initial release is close (or identical) to the iLiad's, but improvements are coming for the DR only. See Update 1.5 coming in January!.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think the initial release is close (or identical) to the iLiad's, but improvements are coming for the DR only. See Update 1.5 coming in January!.
good to know. I guess when it comes out we'll have to put in a column for it. Do the list of differences cover the ground? Or am I nitpicking them?

Dale
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
red_dragon
Daywalker
red_dragon is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have added / corrected features for uBook and the MobiPocket Reader.
red_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dragon View Post
I have added / corrected features for uBook and the MobiPocket Reader.
Thanks, with everyone's help it can become a great resource.

Dale
Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Dale,

I'm no good at editing the Wiki, but I've spotted a couple of errors relating to the CyBook:

- It allows you to switch between left and full justification.
- It does support hyphenation.

Could you add a "supports hard page breaks" line in the "Reading features" table, please? It really bugs me that some implementations of Mobi (eg FBReader) don't support this!

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Stanza for the iphone does not support Mobipocket. It does support eReader. There is no iPhone application that supports Mobipocket native code.
Doesn't Bookshelf? (non-DRM'd Mobi only)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, Bookshelf does support DRM-free Mobi on the iPhone. How good it is, I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote