Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
SOLD! Do you like broken things? PRS-500 needs a new home

The reader is SOLD
Do you like broken things?

My trusty old Sony Reader has developed the striated screen problem. The screen shows text at the top, and a pattern of lines across the bottom. This has been described on this forum before. There appears to be no physical damage that I can see. I have reseated the connectors and tried charging the battery for a long time. Nothing helps.

I read here once that someone was buying broken readers, though I cannot imagine why. This was a good reader for me, but after experimenting with different devices, I like my Android phone just as well. In fact, the lack of backlighting is now a dealbreaker for me. If I want a non-backlit screen, I can get an old Palm in a thrift store for five bucks. It makes a great reader and the batteries are available in any drugstore and they last a month. So if you want to diddle around with a broken thing that is marginally better than an old Palm which you can get for a song, be my guest. You'd better hurry though because I will be leaving the Philippines in a few days and I'm not going to put it in my suitcase unless you want it bad enough to make it worth my while. I promise not to laugh.

I will be back in Canada at the end of January, so if you are interested, send me a PM and we can make a deal. It is for sale, but an interesting trade might be OK too. Doesn't anyone have an old Studebaker or a Hudson sitting around?

Will people still be buying readers when they can get a light-as-a-feather netbook that runs FBReader for $200? I have used my Asus EEE for a reader and it would be perfect if it had any decent battery life. With the new ARM netbooks/smartbooks offering a 10 hour battery life, why not buy one and be able to read, surf the net, fiddle with your tiddlywiki and watch videos too. All this for less than the cost of a Kindle or whatever. C'mon folks! Is E-ink really that hot?

Last edited by mogui; 02-09-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: sold
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote