Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #106
hogleg
Enthusiast
hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3
look! My wang is bigger!

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

If you understand that, then suriprise! It's communication! The bottom line is that a select few define prescriptive grammar, and the unwashed masses describe descriptive grammar. It's irrelevant who is better educated if you both understand when someone is giving you the finger. Language is a means to an end; if you understand the idea it doesn't matter if I signed it to you, wrote it in the snow with urine, or carved it on a stick and hit you with it...you have the end result.

OMFG UR AN ID10T!!! may seem moronic, but if you get it, it has achieved what a good language is meant to do, and that is convey an idea.
hogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #107
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Please do remember that we like to have discussions here, but do not really want things to degenerate into name calling and flame wars.

pshrynk - moderator
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #108
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Interjection.
1. A sudden, short utterance; an ejaculation.
2. (Abbr. interj. or int.)
  1. The part of speech that usually expresses emotion and is capable of standing alone.
  2. Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as Ugh! or Wow!
http://www.school-house-rock.com/Int.html
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #109
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yes, I have read your posts. To quote you:

"When you text phonetically, you're not making up a new word. You're just being lazy with your spelling." ... "If you're using an already-existing word in the English (or any other) language, you have to use conventional English rules to spell that word as it is properly spelled."

Further, you said "What I more resent is them not keeping their language in context, and allowing it to spew all over conventional speech, where it makes no sense and doesn't belong. (There are certain things that teke (sic) longer to type in text "language" than in English.)"

My comment to your first post is that it assumes that everyone who texts phonetically is "lazy" and that those of us who do so "have to use" conventional English.

I find that assumption offensive. I did from the first time I read it, and I still do now. That was your first post in this thread, by the way. In addition, are you the one that decided what people "have" to do??

I would also love to hear about those certain things that take longer to text "language" than in English. Teke was your own goof, but I'll assume you meant to say "take."

Your next post was to say that "The reason that "cul8r" isn't a sentence, or even a word, is because it's just a phoneticization of English (which is a language) used as shorthand. Further, the reason that the first person to use it should, if there was a just God in the universe, rot in Hell for all eternity, world without end, amen."

My comment on this is that "IOU" is nothing but a phoneticization of English used as shorthand. And, your rot in hell statement is again, rather offensive, at least to the person who first coined "cul8tr," and, who was no worse an offender than the creator of IOU.

Then you stated that "thru" .... "has to do with the general, and growing, illiteracy of the American public."

My comment on that statement is that since the use of "thru" was started by The Chicago Tribune, tell me how that is supposed to be symbolic of a decline in literacy??

And, then there was that real pip .... "I obviously understand a lot more about the English language, and language in general, than you do. Apparently you weren't able to absorb your mother's knowledge by osmosis."

I still doubt that one. I really do.

I also loved this one: "Writing coherently involves both being able to communicate your ideas and the ability to understand your audience and to adjust your writing accordingly."

My comment .... where did that idea go about: "If you're using an already-existing word in the English (or any other) language, you have to use conventional English rules to spell that word as it is properly spelled."

That does not sound like someone who believes it is necessary to adjust writing for the audience. What if you audience is a group of texters and your medium is a cell phone?? Are we allowed to adjust then, or are we supposed to stick to conventional English rules?

Then there was: "You're assuming that everything in the dictionary is meant to be a "word." That's a false assumption. There are numerous examples in dictionaries that are not words, but interjections ("ooh, "ugh", "gosh", etc.)"

As Dylrob correctly noted, those interjections are all "words."

At some point you stated: "The point is that if you write "c", you not only destroy spelling of the word, but by destroying the spelling, you destroy the meaning of the word."

However, you then stated that "SOS" and "IOU" were benign because they have specific, explicit meanings.

That is only true in context. SOS or IOU could also be someone's initials. LOL has a specific, explicit meaning in context. CYA has a specific meaning in context. All words have to be considered in proper context.

Which makes me wonder if you ever actually read anything you write. So much of it is contradictory, or poorly phrased, and sometimes simply wrong. And, then there are the offensive bits that just happened to come up in your very first post in this thread.

You were saying something about not entering the thread to be offensive? Would you like to reconsider that statement?

Probably not. I'm sure you wrote it because you actually did intend to be offensive, otherwise, why write it?

Oh, and no, I don't think "Library Sciences" has anything whatsoever to do with science. In fact, I believe that is a very unfortunate choice of words to describe that major. Unless you library scientists are now conducting important library experiments in your library laboratories.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 04-21-2009 at 05:25 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #110
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post

Oh, and no, I don't think "Library Sciences" has anything whatsoever to do with science. In fact, I believe that is a very unfortunate choice of words to describe that major. Unless you library scientists are now conducting important library experiments in your library laboratories.
:-) I'm a molecular biologist, and ended up hanging out with a lot of science and engineering majors in school. The general consensus among our lot was that if it has "science" in the name, it's not science. It sometimes approaches closely enough to be engineering, like "materials science" or "food science" but it can roam as far as "creation science" and "christian science"

So far I have not met a subject that invalidated this rule of thumb. Mind you, I have great respect for librarians and libraries and if "library science" is the study of library organization or some such, it sounds to me like a worthwhile endeavor. Just, not science. Information architecture, maybe.

Along lingustic lines, it sounds to me like we're having a major argument between the descriptivists and the prescriptivists. I lean toward descriptivism myself, but recognize the value of prescriptivism in making it possible for people to learn to imitate upper class speech / writing for the purpose of making people take them seriously. Poorly done imitations of upper class speech and writing stick out like a sore thumb to people who know how to do it well, so if you're going to do it, it's probably best to do it "right".

That's my two cents, anyway.

Oh, and I chose cake. Chocolate by preference, but any type of cake is better than death.

Last edited by catsittingstill; 05-01-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: to make the final choice
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert