Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
danwatto
danwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS T-3, Kobo H2O
Sony PRS-T3 MicroSD card

Hi All,

I'm considering getting a MicroSD card 32GB and just dumping my entire library onto it, so I will rarely need to connect to the computer except for the occasional new purchase.

Is there any downside with the SD card instead of internal memory?
Does it end up being a lot slower to go through your books, turn pages, etc or any other operation?

Also how do the Sony readers handle navigation of a large library?

Many Thanks
danwatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I used a 8 gig with my T1... It was fine.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
danwatto

Great, thanks.

I might move all my books onto the card
Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I find browsing large collections on an eink device is inconvenient. You can search if you know what you are looking for (sadly, Sony doesn't have type-ahead search like Amazon does) but I find I can scan for stuff to read on my computer a zillion times faster than on device.

I try to keep under about 150 books on my reader at a time or else it just takes too long to page through the library.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
The manual says something about a card using more power. But it's not clear if that means in general or only when reading a book that resides on the card.

I use an 8GB card. Reader functions seem just as quick as without the card. However, it does take longer for calibre to load everything when connecting to a computer.

I have 2000+ books, and put only very large files and PDFs on the card.

The T3 touch sliders make navigation through large libraries easy.

One problem: Books on the T3 main memory come up by author last name as I want. But books on the card come up by author first name. I have not found a way around this. It's confusing, since the reader combines all books into one list without regard to where they reside. So unless you know where each and every book resides, you don't know whether to look in the list for first or last name.

Maybe your idea of putting everything on the card would solve that. Let us know how it works out.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
danwatto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post

One problem: Books on the T3 main memory come up by author last name as I want. But books on the card come up by author first name. I have not found a way around this. It's confusing, since the reader combines all books into one list without regard to where they reside. So unless you know where each and every book resides, you don't know whether to look in the list for first or last name.
Hi Phil,

Calibre has the card come up as an extra button next to the Device, with it's own settings.

Maybe you can tick "use author_sort for author" for the card only, and it may help the sorting?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatto View Post
Hi Phil,

Calibre has the card come up as an extra button next to the Device, with it's own settings.

Maybe you can tick "use author_sort for author" for the card only, and it may help the sorting?
That worked! I don't know why, since the default settings were the same for both the main device and the card. Apparently the card setting has to be different.

Now my books by author list on the T3 is is truly alphabetical regardless of where a book resides.

Thank you!
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a 32 Gig in my T3 4000+ books on it and zero problems. No slowdown that I can see or application closes etc.. Have been using it this way for a couple of months at least.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #9
danwatto

Awesome!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have a 32 Gig in my T3 4000+ books on it and zero problems. No slowdown that I can see or application closes etc.. Have been using it this way for a couple of months at least. Helen
4,000 ?!

Blimey Helen - you need to stop going out girl, get down to some serious readin' !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
4,000 ?!

Blimey Helen - you need to stop going out girl, get down to some serious readin' !
Yes. I put them on just to see how performance was at one time, and as it is fine, they are just on there till I read them. Never finish them all of course, especially as I still get library books fairly often, but nice to have choices.

Helen
Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
For my needs Sony's SD support is a failure. It doesn't support 64 GB which is sad but I realize they didn't advertise it. The real bad part is that the T3 cant handle even 16 GB full of books (over 20.000 books). It just freezes and that's it. End of story. Big disappointment. They advertise you can have tens of thousands of books on your SD card, which is a lie. A lie that made me buy the wrong device. I don't care about the money but I do care about lies and the waste of customers' time. It's probably good they went off the market.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookp View Post
For my needs Sony's SD support is a failure. It doesn't support 64 GB which is sad but I realize they didn't advertise it. The real bad part is that the T3 cant handle even 16 GB full of books (over 20.000 books). It just freezes and that's it. End of story. Big disappointment. They advertise you can have tens of thousands of books on your SD card, which is a lie. A lie that made me buy the wrong device. I don't care about the money but I do care about lies and the waste of customers' time. It's probably good they went off the market.
I haven't tried 20,000 books on my T3 but it handles 4000 books just fine. Shelves open in seconds. Not noticeably slower than with 10 books) The same number of books, in fact the same books, takes my Aura HD 5+ minutes to open the shelves list.

I can't actually fit the same 4000 books on my mother's kindle.

Perhaps I will try renaming all of my books via plugboard (I don't have 20,000) and putting them on double or triple just to see.

I understand your point, and your frustration, and bitterness. Kobo advertises 30,000 books and while they make no claims that the shelf list will open in a timely manner, one assumes so.

One thing I do because I had to on my T1 with a lot of books is to disconnect the reader from the USB port after sending books, then plug it back in to USB port without connecting until it processes them (little arrow stops whirring).

Helen

But I am curious as to which readers
Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookp View Post
20,000 ebooks You need help!!

Anyways, the T3 should run a 64bit SD card. All my ereaders have 64 bit uSD cards. On my Sony PRS-950 I have an Adata uSD card in a SD adaptor and I have 40Gigs (around 4,000) of ebooks (pdfs and epubs), most are scientific articles for work. I am sure a 64 gig uSD card formatted to fat32 will run on a T3. My 950 has no issues at all.

Best,
Shunter

Last edited by SHunter101; 04-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote