Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
waning popularity of ebook readers?

According to Ebook Readers: Device to Go the Way of Dinosaurs?, shipments of ereaders appear to have peaked in 2011.

Are the long-run reading advantages offered by ereaders insufficient to offset the web, email, and movie versatility offered by tablets?

Last edited by hughes; 12-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Some more pertinent questions:

What percentage of eBook readers already have an e-ink device? Could be the market is already close to getting saturated. Also, what percentage of tablet owners read eBooks on their devices? For many readers tablets and e-ink are totally unrelated devices, one more tablet sold does not mean one less ereader sold.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
What percentage of eBook readers already have an e-ink device? Could be the market is already close to getting saturated?
HansTWN, if the OP link's figures of 23.2 million for 2011 and 14.9 million for 2012 are close to accurate, and world-wide, I'd say the market is far from saturated, and just declining.

However, since Amazon refuses to give absolute sales numbers, I'm skeptical how this web site could know what it claims.

Color has triumphed over monochrome, in the marketplace, again and again. It did it in amateur -- and professional -- photography. It did it in television. It did it in computer monitors. It did it in PDA's. It did it in cell phones -- even the cheapest hand-held phones sold in developing countries now have a thoroughly unnecessary color screen. The 7 inch color tablet is just too similar looking to the 6 inch monochrome eReader for color to not triumph over monochrome again.

Unpopularity would be no reason for me to move from eInk to tablet. However, I do need a continuing infrastructure where I can read both library books and newspapers on my device. If it gets to where you can't get either the New York Times or the Washington Post on my eReader, I will have to give it up as I did the Palm PDA.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have the original kindle fire from last year and i love it as an overall device
But I actually find myself wanting a simple paper white kindle for pure book reading.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Highly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
According to Ebook Readers: Device to Go the Way of Dinosaurs?, shipments of ereaders appear to have peaked in 2011.

Are the long-run reading advantages offered by ereaders insufficient to offset the web, email, and movie versatility offered by tablets?
I have a 2nd gen Kindle Fire and do not read on it, I read on my 3rd gen Kindle Keyboard, a much more satisfying experience.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
There will always be a market for eReaders, at least while they offer advantages over tablets like long battery life and reading in sunlight. Plus lack of distractions is also a plus. I used to switch to a tablet when the ambient light was poor, but since I got the GlowLight I haven't used any of my tablets for reading.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I almost always prefer single-purpose devices. My cell phone is a cell phone, my camera is a camera, I play music on an MP3 player that's only an MP3 player, and I read on an ereader.

My wife has an Ipad and she does use it for reading, but most of the time it's for email and videos. She doesn't read as much as I do.

I suspect there will always be a market for small (think mass market paperback sized) dedicated ereaders, especially if the price is low.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I almost always prefer single-purpose devices. My cell phone is a cell phone, my camera is a camera, I play music on an MP3 player that's only an MP3 player, and I read on an ereader.

My wife has an Ipad and she does use it for reading, but most of the time it's for email and videos. She doesn't read as much as I do.

I suspect there will always be a market for small (think mass market paperback sized) dedicated ereaders, especially if the price is low.
So very true

I have an iPad2 for a specific purpose (PDF's and comics, plus a email.browser etc) AND ereaders for the specific purpose of replacing dead tree fiction.

Multi-function devices can never fully replace a single purpose dedicated device.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
There are many people who read off ereaders because they mimic real paper. If they ever stopped making them I would think many would go back to paper books. I could not see myself reading off an tablet.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Someone is always saying that ebooks are on their way out. I don't believe it myself.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Color has triumphed over monochrome, in the marketplace, again and again
As a counter example: printed books.

Dedicated ereaders aren't going to go away anytime soon. The market is probably going to diminish somewhat as general purpose tablets drop in price, but eink has too many advantages over the competition for moderate to heavy readers.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I started out reading on my (color) PDA. When I finally decided I wanted something larger, I looked at UMPC and a few early versions of tables (I remember an Acer model that looked like a laptop, but the screen would turn 180 degrees and lie flat on top of the keyboard).

I wanted color, but I just wasn't willing to spend $1000 for what I could find at the time.

I love my eInk reader now, but if today's Fire/Nook were available then, I probably would have bought the tablet and never looked back.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I don't think they are on the way out. I think I agree that the market is changing again with the cheaper color tablets.

I do love my Nook Color, and will probably get a Nook HD(+), but I've been wanting and eInk device for battery length, and ease on the eyes for strictly reading
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I have the original kindle fire from last year and i love it as an overall device
But I actually find myself wanting a simple paper white kindle for pure book reading.
Agreed. I was looking at the paper white kindle at BB today. It's really a nice, light-weight device, and felt really sleek in my hands. I've enjoyed my K3 for years, but when you consider it together with the lighted case, the PW is light as a feather in comparison, and it has a better light.

I'm currently using my KFHD when I need more light to read by, but the PW is really an attractive option.

Edit: I'd also add, if Amazon manages to release an inexpensive, good quality color e-ink device, we might see another surge in e-reader adoption.

Last edited by carld; 12-13-2012 at 12:59 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Edit: I'd also add, if Amazon manages to release an inexpensive, good quality color e-ink device, we might see another surge in e-reader adoption.
I don't know about color, but there have been threads dealing with the idea of a free e-ink device as part of the Amazon Prime deal or some such. I could see that happening sooner or later. After all if you are offered a free e-ink reader for signing up for this or that deal even if you have to buy a certain # of ebooks within a years time or something I can see that catching people's interest.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote