Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by vne View Post
I think my query is very clear now.
It seemed clear when you first posted it, as far as pdfs, but see below.

Quote:
There are actually lots of ebooks separated into several files which are linked by bookmarks.
Are these external book to book links, or just internal links within a single book?

Quote:
An example is all ebooks from knovel.com.
Are these pdfs? I couldn't tell from their main page.

Quote:
The situation is even worse in case the book is separated to hundreds .html files stored in the same folder (I have around 20 books of this kind).
This is a different question from the one about pdfs. Read this:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...specific-order
Also, if they are already linked from a main index.html or equivalent file, you just need to drag that single linking file to Calibre and it will find the other files and create the book.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
vne
vne began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Are these external book to book links, or just internal links within a single book?
They are links within a single book.

Quote:
Are these pdfs? I couldn't tell from their main page.
Yes, all are pdfs

Quote:
Also, if they are already linked from a main index.html or equivalent file, you just need to drag that single linking file to Calibre and it will find the other files and create the book.
Wow, simple is the best. Why didn't I find this solution right from the beginning? Also I can solve my multi-pdf problem by this method. Thanks so much.
vne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Why didn't I find this solution right from the beginning?
I mentioned it, but your question seemed specific to pdfs.

Quote:
Also I can solve my multi-pdf problem by this method.
How?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
vne

Quote:

How?
Let say my book is separated into 20 files, and they are linked by bookmarks. I rename the file containing the first page to be the book's ISBN and add it to Calibre (need to configure Calibre to get metadata as ISBN from filename, of course). After fetching metadata, I copy all the remaining files to the Calibre folder containing the Calibre-processed file. Whenever I want to read that book, just need to open Calibre, browse to that book, and since all files are linked the problem is solved.

P/S: Already successfully tested.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Let say my book is separated into 20 files
These are 20 pdfs, correct?

Quote:
, and they are linked by bookmarks.
When I asked about this, you said you had no cross links, only links within a single book???

Quote:
I rename the file containing the first page to be the book's ISBN and add it to Calibre (need to configure Calibre to get metadata as ISBN from filename, of course). After fetching metadata, I copy all the remaining files to the Calibre folder containing the Calibre-processed file. Whenever I want to read that book, just need to open Calibre, browse to that book, and since all files are linked the problem is solved.
Assuming you do have book to book links in the pdf, this will work for the original pdf format, but Calibre will still only see the first page/pdf file as a book. The other files are not part of that book and aren't part of the Calibre system. You can't use format conversion, Library moves or copy-to, Send to device, Save to disk or most of the other features of Calibre for these files.

Quote:
P/S: Already successfully tested.
Excellent.
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #21
vne

Quote:
These are 20 pdfs, correct?
It's just for example, 20 can be replaced by xx

Quote:
When I asked about this, you said you had no cross links, only links within a single book???
I mean cross links between separate files which belong to a single book only.

Quote:
Assuming you do have book to book links in the pdf, this will work for the original pdf format, but Calibre will still only see the first page/pdf file as a book. The other files are not part of that book and aren't part of the Calibre system. You can't use format conversion, Library moves or copy-to, Send to device, Save to disk or most of the other features of Calibre for these files.
Yes, but I think it's the best solution so far.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
The situation is even worse in case the book is separated to hundreds .html files stored in the same folder (I have around 20 books of this kind).
HTML files are not an issue if there is a top level "contents" file that references all the others. In such a case giving the top level file to Calibre will cause them all to be collated into a single book.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
vne

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
HTML files are not an issue if there is a top level "contents" file that references all the others. In such a case giving the top level file to Calibre will cause them all to be collated into a single book.
I've tried adding html books, but Calibre converted the html file to zip file that leads to link broken. How to solve it?

Thanks

Last edited by vne; 10-26-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I've tried adding html books, but Calibre converted the html file to zip file that leads to link broken. How to solve it?
If you add the index or TOC page, calibre will grab all linked files and zip them up for inclusion in the library, this is normal behavior. From here conversion to another format should be fine, but I have not recently tried to view html from calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:

Thanks
As was mentioned Calibre collects all the files for an HTML book into to a Zip file. This makes sense as Calibre wants to be able to store an individual format for an ebook in a single file in the underlying filing system. As long as the links are relative ones (rather than absolute ones) they will not be broken by this process.

You will find that if you use the option to view this Zip file from within Calibre everything is shown as expected.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #26
vne

Quote:
As long as the links are relative ones (rather than absolute ones) they will not be broken by this process.
I'm not sure if the "absolute links" you are talking about is the reason that links for my books are broken (only first 6 pages can be displayed, the rest is "file not found"). Actually I don't know what does it mean by "relative" or "absolute" link.

Quote:
You will find that if you use the option to view this Zip file from within Calibre everything is shown as expected.
Is this option default or we need to set it? If need to set, then how?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not sure if the "absolute links" you are talking about is the reason that links for my books are broken (only first 6 pages can be displayed, the rest is "file not found"). Actually I don't know what does it mean by "relative" or "absolute" link.
A relative link is one in which the location is specified "relative to the current directory. IOW - the link says the file is in the directory below the current directory and is named "images" or whatever. An absolute link is one that says the file is located in a particular website or in the C: drive in the folder ....
You can move html files with relative links, as long as you move all the directories with it and you can always see all the linked files, even if your internet connection is down. With absolute links, doing one of the above will break the links.

Quote:
Is this option default or we need to set it? If need to set, then how?
It's default.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #28
Stash123
Stash123 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I am having a similar problem with a set of htm files, corresponding to the chapters of one book. Can Calibre assemble them into one ePub book? I read the comment in the FAQ about creating a new "contents" html file listing all the chapters - I tried it several ways, interpreting their example file variously, and no luck. I added all the chapters to the GUI as separate "books", and the new "contents.html" as another - but converting the "contents.html" invariably yielded a short book of nothing. Can anyone explain either what I'm misunderstanding, or whether I truly cannot do what I want with a bunch of html files?
Stash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #29
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Without having reread the relevant FAQ entry: You'd have to provide a contents.html as part of the HTML format of the ebook and add all the chapters as well. Adding every HTML file as a separate book will not help you in any way. The format of the contents.html is given in the FAQ entry, if you have any trouble, I can post a script I hacked together once that sort of throws a content.html together, although with no regard to sorting. You could hack it further, if it would help.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #30
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Without having reread the relevant FAQ entry:
I know the entry he's talking about, and it should work just fine. You just make an index.html, point it to the multiple html page or chapter files and add it to Calibre. Calibre grabs them all. You only need to add the one index file. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't have worked. A quick test is to click on your index.html, which should open in your browser and show the book, with all pages/cahpters.

I suggest he post the index.html file he created and the names of the page/chapter html files. There must be an error in the file.