Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Will your reader do this? Deciding on one soon

Hello, I am new to the forum and am very close to deciding on my first ereader.

Beyond basic reading, I would hope to get a reader that will allow me to do my daily Bible reading from several different books (Old and New Testaments.) So it seems that labeled bookmarks or notes would be necessary. I would also like to make short notes in study books that refer to specific scripture passages. My expectations are not set so high that a reader would take the place of my computer Bible Study software, but give me a little freedom to read devotionally in more comfortable settings. I do not want an IPad or other tote-around computer.

My wife and daughter also love to read and the possibility exists that we would be adding one or two readers in the future. Which readers have the advantage of sharing an account?

I am not exactly sure why, but I don't feel strongly attracted to Amazon and their Kindle (maybe, restrictive file types and sources. And the keyboard at the bottom. Help me to understand why I should consider Kindle if you wish.) So new Sonys and Nooks are higher on the list. Any advice? Are there any hidden gems in the less popular readers?
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
ChrisChillin
Eckhartian
ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome, Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
So it seems that labeled bookmarks or notes would be necessary.
With Kindle, of course, you can type notes with the keyboard. With Nook, you type them from the LCD "keyboard." Sony readers have the touchscreen and stylus for handwritten note-taking.

As for bookmarking, I' believe all three can do that for you.

Quote:
My wife and daughter also love to read and the possibility exists that we would be adding one or two readers in the future. Which readers have the advantage of sharing an account?
Nook and Kindle for certain. Not so sure about the Sony readers. But keep in mind that the Sony store isn't anything to get excited about.

Quote:
Help me to understand why I should consider Kindle if you wish.
I've decided on Kindle for a number of reasons, including:
  • Price - seems like the best bang for the buck.
  • Selection. FYI, there are a number of free/cheap Bibles in the Kindle Store.
  • Based on reviews I've read, Kindle seems to have the most advanced e-Ink screen and fastest "page turns."

But look at the specs, read the reviews, and go with what works for you. Good luck!
ChrisChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, Bro Pete.

Feel free to use the "introduce yourself" link below.

There is much to learn and do on this site....

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChillin View Post
Welcome, Pete.

With Kindle, of course, you can type notes with the keyboard. With Nook, you type them from the LCD "keyboard." Sony readers have the touchscreen and stylus for handwritten note-taking.

As for bookmarking, I' believe all three can do that for you.

Nook and Kindle for certain. Not so sure about the Sony readers. But keep in mind that the Sony store isn't anything to get excited about.

I've decided on Kindle for a number of reasons, including:
  • Price - seems like the best bang for the buck.
  • Selection. FYI, there are a number of free/cheap Bibles in the Kindle Store.
  • Based on reviews I've read, Kindle seems to have the most advanced e-Ink screen and fastest "page turns."

But look at the specs, read the reviews, and go with what works for you. Good luck!
I fully agree with all this. My wife has a K3 wifi/3g and I have a DXG. We both love the new E-ink screens. The screen contrast is so good you can actually read them in a semi-darkened room.

We are able to share books on one account, which is very handy (and economical). You can share up to ~6 Kindle E-book readers on the same account.

Lots of free bibles available. I've got the free Holy Bible, HCSB and I think it's pretty good. If you want ones with better search engines, you'll probably have to buy these.

Good luck with whichever reader you select. Maybe say a prayer and ask the 'big guy' which one to buy (just kidding lol)!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
If you are willing to liberate your books from their DRM (it's very easy), then you don't need to consider the sharing schemes. If not, you're better off with a Nook or Kindle.

The new screens on the Sony and Kindle are both equally nice, IMHO (clicky), although I much prefer the way epubs display.

Also, if you're willing to liberate your books, you can get a Kindle and not be limited to Amazon. You just use calibre to convert epubs to mobi (just hit a button). Mobi files converted using calibre are perfect (you wouldn't know that you didn't purchase them in Amazon's stupid format). Same goes if you decide to go with something other than the Kindle and would like to take advantage of the free Bibles on Amazon (you just get them with Kindle for PC, liberate them and convert them).
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Liberate=Illegal=you are going to hell (or at least purgatory) = Don't do it!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is probably the best dedicated reader for note taking, precisely because of its hardware keyboard, which is much easier to use than the "soft" keyboards found on a number of other devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
But keep in mind that the Sony store isn't anything to get excited about.
But you can go to other store if you wish

Where are you living ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Liberate=Illegal=you are going to hell (or at least purgatory) = Don't do it!
Illegal (technically, it's not like the law is enforced), but not immoral, thus warnings about hellfire do not apply. If you buy a book, it belongs to you and you should be able to use it (personally - I'm not talking distribution) as you see fit. It's selling you a book and then trying to control how you use it that's immoral.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle is a nice choice because it handles notes, bookmarks, and highlighting very well. It is easy to do and there is a website that you can go to to see all your highlights and print out notes and highlights. That could be handy for Bible Study.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In what jurisdictions is removing the DRM illegal?

I've always assumed that it is legal in the US, where I am.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's probably illegal in the UK (most aspects of format conversion are) but nobody's ever been prosecuted for it and, as long as it's done for personal use, it's unlikely that anyone ever would be.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

In the US, Adobe had a conference presenter arested, and jailed merely pointing out weaknesses in some of its protection schemes.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Can you link to the legislation that makes it legal in the US?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some people are of the opinion, Jeannie, that although the DMCA makes the development and distribution of tool for DRM removal a criminal offence, the actual use of such tools is not illegal. This has never been tested in court, though, and until it is, such opinions are just that--opinions.