Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
eBook shops in EU

I'm kind of puzzled how to buy eBooks in EU. There's no single good store. And the book I've searched for tend to cost about the same as paper counterparts. What gives? What's the point of them then? Aren't they supposed to be cheaper to make and sell? Am I missing something essential here?
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You're spot on, Seventh Son. Quite honestly the high cover price of ebooks in Europe -- from Waterstones for example -- seem way out of reason. Mind you, I still buy them because I've come to prefer ebooks to treebooks at any cost. If you want some free ebooks, though (and you can't get much cheaper than that), check my signature line below and take your pic. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
And the book I've searched for tend to cost about the same as paper counterparts. What gives? What's the point of them then? Aren't they supposed to be cheaper to make and sell? Am I missing something essential here?
eBooks are worth more than paper books, since they do not occupy precious physical storage space. I am personally, therefore, happy to pay the same for them as a paper book. I can't take 100 paper books away on holiday with me as I (easily) can with eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
SeventhSon,

I agree with you that this is a problem -- not so much on price, but on availability -- or, rather, the sheer difficulty of finding what you want.

The Waterstones site is terrible; it's almost impossible to browse ebooks in a specific genre, or to do multiple ebook-specific searches. Other retailers and publishers offer ebooks from their sites, but they suffer from the same difficulties with searching and browsing as Wasterstones (Penguin Books is a good example).

In short, there's nothing remotely as convenient as the Amazon Kindle store (which is the main reason I bought a Kindle, although I admit that's not an easy thing to do in the EU).

Like Harry T, I'm not so bothered about the price issue, although I'd be happy not to have to pay so much.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
WHSmith have a site ... http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk ...a large percentage of formats are ePub (even PDFs) .... it seems there is poor choice on 'this side of the pond'.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
WHSmith have a site ...
And it's improved a lot since I first saw it. It's now quite easy to navigate and search, and each title is clearly flagged with the formats in which it's available. Best of all, it is dedicated to ebooks (but including audio books), so you don't get the search results crowded out by paperbacks and hardbacks (as you do with Waterstones).

The range of available titles isn't brilliant, but it's a start.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
And it's improved a lot since I first saw it. It's now quite easy to navigate and search, and each title is clearly flagged with the formats in which it's available. Best of all, it is dedicated to ebooks (but including audio books), so you don't get the search results crowded out by paperbacks and hardbacks (as you do with Waterstones).

The range of available titles isn't brilliant, but it's a start.
I agree, they have improved a lot and in some ways their navigation is better than FW (fer instance) ... often pricey though ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
It does seem like there's quite a few ebookstores that are ok like waterstones, whsmiths, borders etc. but there just isn't one you would class as really good. Beyond the iffiness of searching the worst thing with waterstones is that you can't redownload books from them, which seems a fairly pointless restriction.

It's just a shame that there isn't a proper sony site and merely links to these sites inside the ebook library.

One thing I do like about whsmiths is that the people that run the site do seem responsive to feedback e.g. I emailed them about pre-orders being confusingly mixed in with other books and now they do list which books are pre-order which helps a bit.

Last edited by Crowl; 09-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I too have found WH Smith's customer service folks helpful, Crowl. I still think their prices are out of line, though. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
French sites FNAC and Numilog aren't that bad- if you don't try the advanced search, that's it
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
And if you don't mind the price !!
The books I checked were available in "poche" (paperback ?) as pbooks and still priced as much as the hardcover for the ebooks !
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
And if you don't mind the price !!
The books I checked were available in "poche" (paperback ?) as pbooks and still priced as much as the hardcover for the ebooks !
In which market? Fnac usually irks me this way... is she the culprit?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Part of the high price in Europe is the stupid notion of the EU that ebooks aren't books, but electronic services. The VAT on books is generally lower than the rest, but as ebooks aren't books, they mostly have the high VAT rate. Which is why books in the Netherlands are on average 80% of the pbook price (they are cheaper, but as pbooks have a 6% VAT and ebooks a 19% VAT, they are more expensive than necessary)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
In which market? Fnac usually irks me this way... is she the culprit?
I think that's the publisher's stupidity...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #15
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I think that's the publisher's stupidity...
Yes, but in France the price of the pbooks is also determined by laws. (Example: reductions can't be over 5%.) I was wondering if there was some problem also on that side.