Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
riverdale
riverdale began at the beginning.

Device: iriver e reader
Screen showing lines and broken text

Hi
I am new to the mobileread.
I have iriver ebook reader. I used a usb charger to power my ebook. i have used it earlier as well. To my disappointment when i returned after some time, while i left the ebook open and usb charger attached, i found the display showing lines and broken text at places. Can any one help me as to what went wrong and what ought to be done.
At present i am at Bangalore,(India). The ebook was gifted to me by my son who purchased it from Singapore.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-10-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: moved to appropriate section
riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdale View Post
Hi
I have iriver ebook reader. I used a usb charger to power my ebook. i have used it earlier as well. To my disappointment when i returned after some time, while i left the ebook open and usb charger attached, i found the display showing lines and broken text at places. Can any one help me as to what went wrong and what ought to be done.
At present i am at Bangalore,(India). The ebook was gifted to me by my son who purchased it from Singapore.
Hi riverdale, welcome to the forum!

I doubt you will get an answer to your question by answering a thread that is on an unrelated subject. You should post a new thread in the iRiver section of the forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Hope this helps
Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Do you encounter the problem reading a text (.txt) file? If you are, the 'broken text' is a bug that has not been fixed by iRiver for a very long time.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Hi
Welcome, riverdale.

Quote:
Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing: are you saying that the screen of that same ebook looks different now after the charging process, from how it looked before you plugged the charger in?

I haven't seen this happen to mine, but I think I normally close the book and switch the device off before I plug in the charger, so we haven't had the same experience.

I'm wondering if it's simply the screen not refreshing properly after the charge. If you close the ebook and re-open it, does the screen still show broken text?

riverdale, which format is the book in? Is it an ePub book, or a TXT file, or PDF ... which format? (I'm asking because they tend to display differently.)

Or perhaps the problem has resolved itself? We can only hope!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
riverdale

Hi
The e book is showing non of the formats. It is opening normally but screen appears like a page that has been smeared before the ink dried (in a normal ink written page) making it impossible to read 3/4th of the left hand side of the page. Right hand side is visible and i can navigate through all page by guess.
All formats ePub, TXT or pdf can be accessed.
The problem persists even after u shut down the ebook. The black smudges remain visible though they tend to become less dark.
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ouch, riverdale, that's a pity. It sounds to me like you have a faulty screen. The smearing must make it unusable to start with, but if the smearing remains to some degree even after the device is switched off, I'd say the component that regulates the electrical charge to the screen (which is what determines which pixels go dark and which go light) has failed or become corrupted.

I'd guess this is going to need hardware service or replacement - it's unfortunate that you're in another country from where it was bought.

I don't think it's necessarily going to fix it, but have you tried a complete reset of the machine? It's probably worth a try, before you go to the trouble and expense of sending the machine back to Singapore.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a photograph of the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
riverdale

attached is the picture of eBook.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser

Hi riverdale,
That definitely looks to me like the screen refresh is damaged, though I'm not a technician. But it looks like the data the screen display is getting is corrupted, or the hardware in the screen itself can't display it properly.

If the setup with iRiver in India and Singapore is anything like here in Australia, iRiver is probably going to tell you to take the problem to their distributor. Does the company this device was bought from in Singapore have a website where you can e.mail them a copy of the picture and ask them what they'll do for you?

Maybe someone else will have other ideas I haven't thought of, but it definitely looks to me like it's a hardware fault.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Does the screen stay like that when you turn the iriver story off? If it does then your screen could be cracked.

samac

Last edited by samac; 10-03-2010 at 07:08 AM.
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
tahy86
tahy86 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
same problem

Quote:
attached is the picture of eBook.
my iriver screen looks exactly the same, even when its turned off. i had accidentally put a little pressure on it. i don't know if it would be covered by warranty and where and how to get it fixed. did you find any solution ?
tahy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
\\See this thread.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Unfortunately, both of them are undoubtfully and clearly broken screens: you broke your screen by accident.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
martinmach
Junior fish
martinmach began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story
That happens if something hard was pressed onto the screen or the screen is defective to begin with. Contact the company
martinmach is offline   Reply With Quote