Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Calibre and metadata - broken?

I've got Calibre installed on two computers, both running Vista, but one is still running 0.6.44, and the other is running the latest version.

I can't pinpoint when this broke, but if I download a book and de-drm it, and import it to Calibre in the older version, it imports all the metadata - including author and, usually, a cover.

In the other one with the newer version, it imports the book with the title but leaves the author as 'unknown', and I have to hand edit the metadata and attempt to download a cover.

I usually only do 2-3 books at a time, but just wondered what had changed?
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
I usually only do 2-3 books at a time, but just wondered what had changed?
Check Preferences|Add/Save and see if they are both set the same. You may have a different option set in the two versions, such as the "Read metadata only from filename" option.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
The "Editing E-book Metadata" section of the User Guide for Calibre is blank. Is there any info anywhere in the guide that describes the various function and features involving metadata?
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf View Post
The "Editing E-book Metadata" section of the User Guide for Calibre is blank. Is there any info anywhere in the guide that describes the various function and features involving metadata?
Calibre has been improving quickly. The basics haven't changed, but, OTOH, the basics are pretty obvious - you can edit the various fields you see. However, there are many new and old functions and features that affect metadata in one or more ways.

Do you have any specific questions? The "Editing E-book Metadata" part of the manual will have to be written, but I think it should wait until after chaley's new changes have been moved out of beta and into the main line.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I have a question -- when I have my Kindle plugged in, is there any way to update metadata on the Kindle itself?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No metadata update on the kindle is not supported.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
@suecsi, what format are the books your having this issue with?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

They'll be either Adobe PDF or EPUB (I have a Sony Pocket Edition).

I have just repeated with an import of 2 x new Adobe PDF books and the author name is picked up correctly (on the older version of Calibre).

The only difference I can find is that in Preferences, Add/Save - on the older version of Calibre, nothing is ticked. On the newer version on the other machine, Read Metadata only from File Name is ticked.

I'll test the other machine later with these same two files and with that box unticked to see what happens.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
The only difference I can find is that in Preferences, Add/Save - on the older version of Calibre, nothing is ticked. On the newer version on the other machine, Read Metadata only from File Name is ticked.
That will do it. This sets any book added to guess its metadata from the filename not from the metadata written into the file itself.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
suecsi
Rock Chick

Serious karma - this works great!