Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #16
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Same result replacing filename with complete location. Seems like if the metadata plugin can't access the files no matter where they are.

ebook-meta file.pdf --title /home/jose/elartedevolar.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 48, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/metadata/cli.py", line 156, in main
IOError: [Errno 2] No existe el fichero ó directorio: u'file.pdf'
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaweb View Post
Same result replacing filename with complete location. Seems like if the metadata plugin can't access the files no matter where they are.

ebook-meta file.pdf --title /home/jose/elartedevolar.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 48, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/metadata/cli.py", line 156, in main
IOError: [Errno 2] No existe el fichero ó directorio: u'file.pdf'
I might be confused since I have never done this but I believe you are a little backwards try

ebook-meta /home/jose/elartedevolar.pdf --title xxx

or

ebook-meta elartedevolar.pdf --title xxx

if you are already in the directory /home/jose/. If I understand correctly this should change the metadata for your title to xxx.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
jomaweb
Connoisseur

different results but same issue. Calibre can't set the PDF metadata

ebook-meta /home/jose/Intro.pdf --title IntrotoSQLx
Metadatos originales::
Title : Intro
Author(s) : Unknow
Failed to set metadata: took too long

Metadatos modificados::
Title : Intro
Author(s) : Unknow
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How did you install calibre on linux, the binary or from source?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
jomaweb
Connoisseur

I used the binary install
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI: I don't use PDFs on my reader but I tried this on my Windows XP SP3 box.

Quote:
ebook-meta Heinlein_Common_Sense.pdf --title test2345678
Original metadata::
Title : Heinlein Common Sense
Author(s) : Unknown

Changed metadata::
Title : Heinlein Common Sense
UPDATE: Let me find another to try when I open this in Adobe it says secured.

Tried it again on an unsecured pdf same results.

Quote:
ebook-meta The_Test_Book.pdf --title test2345678

Title : The Test Book

Title : The Test Book

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
jomaweb
Connoisseur

That's my point: Calibre does not write pdf metadata.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me

Code:
ebook-meta t.pdf --title x
        Title               : t
        Author(s)           : Unknown

Title               : x
        Author(s)           : Unknown
@dwannthy: Check your pdf metadata plugin

@jomaweb: The error msg indicates you are using a source install, not a binary, which leads me to believe you have a corrupted install
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

@dwannthy: Check your pdf metadata plugin

The PDF metadata writer plugin is on, but the PDF metadata reader plugin was off.

It works a lot better when it is able to read the metadata to tell you it actually wrote it.

Quote:
ebook-meta The_Test_Book.pdf --title test22222

Title : test2345678
Book Producer : Advanced PDF Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/

Title : test22222
Book Producer : Advanced PDF Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/
Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #25
jomaweb
Connoisseur

kovid, i swear to god i've installed the binary.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
kovid, i swear to god i've installed the binary.
It seems you have covered all the bases have you checked to ensure that both your PDF metadata writer plugin and your PDF metadata reader plugin are on?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
jomaweb
Connoisseur

It doesn't matter (at least in the case of the reader plugin) because I use "Quik PDF Tools" to read and set the metadata. That makes the difference. I can confirm Calibre does not set the pdf metadata by two ways: Quik Pdf and Kindle DX.
When a pdf is sent to device, _kindle menu shows the filename only. That's because calibre does not set the metadata properly.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
It doesn't matter (at least in the case of the reader plugin)
It does matter as far as helping Kovid troubleshoot the problem. The command you and I both attempted will not provide usable results if the Metadata reader plugin is disabled.

I set pdf metadata and checked it in MS explorer and the metadata is in the columns just like I set it. the only problem is when I try to set metadata for a secured book MS Explorer shows the title with the last character a square (a known issue) instead of what I set it to.

Update: See attached images. At least for the Title and the Author it works on my Windows XP SP3 machine. It may be an issue with the Kindle DX, maybe another Kindle person could weigh in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_writing_metadata.png
Views:	195
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	49293   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_writing_metadata.png
Views:	205
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	49294  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-06-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #29
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Ok, I get your point. Plugins checked an all are on. Both reader and writer.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #30
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Tested Again in Windows 7.
As you can see, the metadata plugins seems not to work but if you checked the file in Quick PDF Tools you'll see the metadata changed. (capture attached)

C:\Users\jose\Downloads>ebook-meta apr.pdf --title test22222
Title : apr

Title : apr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	21.8 KB