Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #646
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doh! I have every eBook Baen have ever published, so of course I've got these. That must be where I read them originally. Thanks again .
Any idea which CD this is on? The CDs are all still available online.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #647
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if they're on a CD I'm afraid, Bob. I got them in monthly "Webscription" packages back around 2002-2003 time.

Sorry,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #648
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Wiz Biz is the first two books.
Wiz Biz II: Cursed and Consulted contains the third and fourth books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #649
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think Bob's asking if they're on any of the "Fifth Imperium" CDs. I don't know whether or not they are. I'd guess that they considerably pre-date any of the CDs.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #650
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
I don't think they were ever in a CD. One or more were available in the free library, though.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #651
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Wiz Biz is the first two books.
Wiz Biz II: Cursed and Consulted contains the third and fourth books.
Apache
Any idea if "Wiz Biz" was on any of the monthly subscriptions, Apache? I've got the two books separately, but only in the very old Mobi format which has horrible formatting.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #652
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It appears that Wiz Biz was not in the monthly subscriptions.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #653
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It appears that Wiz Biz was not in the monthly subscriptions.
Apache
Thanks - I thought that was the case, but just wanted to make sure that I hadn't overlooked it.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #654
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Please Help me
I am looking for a book that has a baby in a womb cover, and i think it was on oprah's book club , but not 100 % sure. Anyone knows what book i am talking about? Thank you
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #655
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I bought this literary novel about 2 years ago, read it and loved it.

It's a mock biography of a character modeled after Philip K. Dick. It's about Philip K. Dick and his obsessions and his writings. It's a sad and hilarious novel.

I'm trying to locate it, retrieve it, and read it again.

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #656
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

It's a mock biography of a character modeled after Philip K. Dick. It's about Philip K. Dick and his obsessions and his writings. It's a sad and hilarious novel.
Maybe "Lint" by Steve Aylett?
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #657
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Maybe "Lint" by Steve Aylett?

No, that's not it....but you have turned me onto a book that I just might buy. (A bit expensive, I might add.)

Thank you!

Don
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #658
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
Please Help me
I am looking for a book that has a baby in a womb cover, and i think it was on oprah's book club , but not 100 % sure. Anyone knows what book i am talking about? Thank you
Could it be "I Know This Much is True", by Wally Lamb? There is a baby on the cover, but I don't think it is in the womb.

An excellent read, BTW.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #659
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I'm trying to locate it, retrieve it, and read it again.

Thanks.

Don

I found it!

It's called "Cardboard Universe," by Christopher Miller.

Here it is from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cardboard-...board+universe

Here's a brief quote from Amazon:

"Genius or fraud? Hack or Hemingway? The life and work of obese, obsessive, logorrheic pulp novelist Phoebus K. Dank have long enflamed bitter controversy—and numerous drunken rants often culminating in vomiting, unconsciousness, or both. In this uproarious novel, Christopher Miller pulls back the curtain on two unforgettable critics—fawning scholar William Boswell (the world's leading Dankian) and his mortal enemy, the murderously snarky Owen Hirt. No stone is left unturned—and no gooey mess unstepped in—in this essential study of Dank's all-too-brief existence and all-too-extensive oeuvre."

I highly recommend this book, especially if you like literary novels that poke fun at the supposed gods of genre fiction.

Don
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #660
Artus
Artus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a legal thriller from the early 1990s

Hello – I am a new member here and I need some help in trying to find a legal thriller from the early 1990s (I had lost the book some years ago, and have been trying to relocate it for a long time now, but I don’t recall the title/author).

Anyway, the story basically involves a female New York prosecutor who is assigned to a case involving a man who had shot and injured some police officers when they were conducting an investigation in an abandoned New York building that he was living in. The defendant argues self-defense (claiming that he was defending the building as his “home”) and the case ends up taking on many political/racial overtones (I believe it was set in Harlem, because the book contained an excellent foreword outlining the social/cultural history of Harlem from the early 1900s to the present day). The book goes into quite a bit of detail regarding the prosecutor’s struggles in handling the politically/racially-charged case, and the effects of the case on her marriage/home life (the book had her living in Bronxville, a suburb in Westchester County, NY ).

There are two male detectives assigned to the case, and I think one of them had an Irish-sounding name (Malloy? Doyle? Or perhaps something like that?) and he is portrayed as being older, gritty and hard-drinking, while the other detective is younger/handsomer and ends up having an affair with the aforementioned female prosecutor (note: she is promoted to the Manhattan District Attorney position while the case is on-going). I don’t recall if the jury ended up convicting or acquitting the defendant (possibly an acquittal, but I’m not sure), but I do remember that there was a riot outside the detective’s police station at the end of the book right after the jury’s verdict was rendered (and the older detective ended up getting fired for attacking some of the rioters). I think the book had closed with a chance meeting at a courthouse (years after the verdict) between the female prosecutor and the younger detective, wherein they reminisced about that pivotal time in their lives during the trial.

Anyhow, I remember it being a very good book (particularly the foreword about the history of Harlem), and I only got to read it once before I lost it. So, any help would be appreciated.

Also, I’m not sure if this helps much, but I seem to recall the author using the word “truculent” quite a bit in the book (unless I am confusing it with another book I had read back then). I believe that the author was male, but I’m not sure. I had bought the book back in the early 1990s, around the time I had bought one of the three books listed below…..and I remember it being on the “new-release” shelf next to one these books (because I recall buying it together with one of these books), so it was probably published sometime in the 1991-1994 range. Back then, I tended to buy books from the same authors, but I have researched the other books from the three authors listed below, but haven’t found the one I’m looking for (so it may be a different author altogether).

Death Penalty – William Jeremiah Coughlin (originally published in 1992)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312933576/

Mitigating Circumstances - Nancy Taylor Rosenberg (1993)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1857972384/

Inadmissible Evidence – Philip Friedman (1993)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0804108528/

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-14-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: trimmed URLs
Artus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths