Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Seafan
Seafan began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
Question E-ink reader, mainly html?

Hello,

I could need some help. I have been looking for an e-ink reader, but are having some problem deciding what device that would suit me best.

I will mainly use it to read fanfiction (and simular) so html and txt support and the way it handles them is probably the most important thing. "Real" e-book formats doesn't interest me, I want the device mainly as an alternitive to the computer (or to printing from the computer).

I also don't want to buy anything in any form what so ever from Sony.

I have looked (as in browsed the internet, wiki and forum) and Hanlin V3 and Bookeen both look good, but perhaps I'm missing something?

I'm living in Europe (Sweden), but almost everything I'll read will probably be in English.

Thanks!
Seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Hello,

I could need some help. I have been looking for an e-ink reader, but are having some problem deciding what device that would suit me best.

I will mainly use it to read fanfiction (and simular) so html and txt support and the way it handles them is probably the most important thing. "Real" e-book formats doesn't interest me, I want the device mainly as an alternitive to the computer (or to printing from the computer).

I have looked (as in browsed the internet, wiki and forum) and Hanlin V3 and Bookeen both look good, but perhaps I'm missing something?

I'm living in Europe (Sweden), but almost everything I'll read will probably be in English.

Thanks!

If you have plenty of money in your pocket, like having many features and a big screen the iLiad might be something for you?
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Your requirements are fairly minimal so any of the units would do what you want. Probably the iLiad and Kindle are overkill but the cybook, Hanlin, or sony would be fine if you want e-Ink. The eBookwise Reader is the cheapest but requires conversion of html using a freely available program.

There are some fanfic feed programs that can be used to download fanfic directly and collect them for you to make the reading experience pleasant.
One is http://www.home-eisele.de/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've read a few fics on live_journal with the kindle. It's a decent option, and in a pinch you can use the built-in web browser to get your fics. That's especially useful if you're away from your PC and want something new to read. But, and this is the big one, it not for certain that the web browser function will remain free.

Dale, that's an interesting site. I'll have to give it a try and report back.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Dale, that's an interesting site. I'll have to give it a try and report back.
I'll add a bit to the discussion here. There are two fully operational fanfiction downloader programs that I'm aware of, DeFFNetizer and Fanfiction Downloader (the previously mentioned program). I've used both in the past; at the moment, I feel that Fanfiction Downloader is by far the better program. Someone here on the forum is also working on one called FFExtract but it's still very early in its development and not very functional at this point in time.

DeFFNetizer has been around for a while, but it's changed maintainers and the new maintainer has had to learn a new language (Python) in order to work on it, so things have been at a bit of a standstill lately. It saves individual chapters in HTML format & comes with several save templates to choose from (or you can customize your own). Currently, it works for Fanfiction.Net and TTHFanFic.Com (Twisting The Hellmouth). As well, the following sites either have limited functionality or are slated for future development:

* FicWad.Com
* LOTRFanFiction.Com
* PortKey.Org
* HarryPotterFanFiction.Com
* PhoenixSong.net

DeFFNetizer is available at http://www.deffnetizer.com/. Source code is available, along with Windows and Mac binaries.

The second fic downloader is one that I've just recently come across but it's quickly become my favourite. Fanfiction Downloader is available at http://www.home-eisele.de/downloader_e.php. The developer responded very quickly when I submitted a bug report and a couple of suggestions through the site. The current release (3.7) supports the following sites:

- fanfiction.net
- fanfiktion.de
- checkmated.com
- portkey.org
- adultfanfiction.net
- Animexx.de (test)
- Fictionalley.org (schnoogle, astronomy....)
- Fictionpress.com

Fanfiction Downloader will save as individual chapters or as a single file. It saves in RTF, HTML, or PDF. Very slick - but, unfortunately, only currently available as a Windows binary. It's written in C++.

For the sake of completeness, I'll also mention that there is an online fic download helper site available at http://www.ficsavers.com/. I haven't used Ficsavers but I've heard good things about it; you're supposed to be able to customize the fonts, background colours, etc. of the fics that you download with it. It currently supports 19 fanfic sites.

Last edited by dcalder; 02-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Seafan
Seafan began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I've read a few fics on live_journal with the kindle.
I'm not sure, but how does the kindle work outside USA? Can one connect it to any local wireless network or is one stuck with USB? Or is even hoplessly crippled?

Jaapjan: I can afford it (iLiad), but as my requirement aren't that big it's a bit painful to pay 650€. Still, I might go that way anyway.

DaleDe & dcalder: That was some really interesting information about the feed and download programs. Thanks, it's definitly something I will bookmark and check out. I was planning to write something myself, but I'm happy if I don't have to.

Well, I don't know if I really got more information to go on except that most devices should work. But that might be enought, I can start looking where it seems easiest to order from instead of trying to choose a reader.
Seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'm not sure, but how does the kindle work outside USA? Can one connect it to any local wireless network or is one stuck with USB? Or is even hoplessly crippled?
Ahh, if you're not in the US then the Wireless connectivity will do you no good at all and you're better off going with one of the other e-ink readers. I'd say whatever you can find the best deal on where you live (or via mail order) will suit your needs well enough.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Don't even consider a Kindle if you're outside the US. You won't be able to buy any books for it from Amazon, and (obviously!) its wireless features won't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Not to be nitpicky, but people do buy Amazon (and Sony Connect) books outside the US by having a credit card tied to a US address. Obviously not many people do this but I just wanted to save folks from any confusion if they read the posts from our non-US members that are buying books from these stores. Still, you lose a good deal of the convenience value of the Kindle if you're not in the US. The only thing is would have left to give it an advantage over cheaper and lighter devices is the search function. I agree with DaleDe: overkill. I don't hear enough about the HanLin devices to have a feel for them but I was all set to buy a Cybook myself before Kindle came out.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
I'm in a similar situation to the OP - I use my eBook reader for fanfic only (at this time, anyway.) I currently have an eBookwise 1150 which I adore, and use the GEBlibrary to convert my word and htm files into imp. My concern is that the 1150 battery won't last forever, and can't be replaced. So I'm in the market for new reader.

I'm in Canada, and have narrowed my choices to CyBook and Sony 505. Currently I have all my fanfic (several hundred mg's worth) on my computer in the following formats - word (.doc), .lit, .rb, and .htm.

Finally to my question! Which reader will convert these formats the easiest, and which has the bigger online bookstore, should I choose to buy some stuff? And what 3rd party programs do I need for conversion?

Thanks very much!
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrielle View Post
Finally to my question! Which reader will convert these formats the easiest, and which has the bigger online bookstore, should I choose to buy some stuff? And what 3rd party programs do I need for conversion?

Thanks very much!
Nothing that I'm aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!) will convert your rb books.

The Gen3 will display your HTML books directly.

You can easily convert LIT and DOC for both the Sony and the Gen3.

The Gen3 has a far greater range of bookstores available, given its support for MobiPocket books.

The Sony is rather cheaper; the Gen3 has more features (dictionary support, loading your own fonts, proper support for font families, etc).

I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use html2lrf to convert html for the 505. Works very well. Or if you prefer you can load the HTML into Book Designer. Also quite easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
RB eBooks can be converted to their html source (actually OEB) using a free download from Ebook Technologies. It is part of a package to convert eBooks for the eb1150 (ETI-2) product.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Dale - I wasn't aware of that!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
So both the 505 and the CyBook will convert/read word docs? Do I need any 3rd part program - or do I just drag and drop or use their included software?

I'm leaning a bit toward the Cybook because of the warranty. And I've also looked at the iLiad, but I don't think I can justify the price. But if the sony would let me use word docs that would be points in their favor.

Decisions, decisions! Thanks for your help!
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote