Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
mynock70
mynock70 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Help with ePub 3 TOC

Hello, I'm working in ePub 3 and I need to make a sample for upload to apple.

My table of contents is a toc.xhtml that is also in the spine of my document. I need a way to be able to show the sections but not link to them.

Does anyone know of a way to grey table of contents entries?

Any help would be appreciated!
mynock70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks is not 100% ePub 3 compatible. Are you sure an ePub 3 ToC will actually work in iBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
xmlgirl
Enthusiast
xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It does work with iBooks, but it's really tricky. I'd share the tricky, but that is what I'm working on today. It doesn't like some guide and spine entries I've tried, but I can't figure out the right combination.
I did try to have non-linked <li> in my toc.xhtml, but the epub spec requires <a>
xmlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
even though it's been postponed to CSS4, iOS does support pointer-events property, so this is pretty hack-y, but may get the job done:

Code:
<li><a class="no-link">Chapter 4</a></li>
with

Code:
.no-link { pointer-events: none; }
not a great solution, though.

apple's asset guide actually states that they auto-generate samples so that you don't have to do that, though, unless you're making a read-aloud book, in which case you have to provide them with a separate sample epub.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
mynock70
mynock70 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I managed to figure it out.

basically you add this code to the end of the last xhtml doc:

Code:
<a id="com_apple_itunes_epub_end0001"></a>
Then in the toc.xhtml file the list element would look like this:

Code:
<li id="ID" class="CSSCLASS"><a href="Text/Chapter_01.xhtml#com_apple_itunes_epub_end0001">Section not in the sample</a></li>
For each entry in the TOC that you want greyed out, you add a new anchor tag and link to that tag.

And the reason that we make our own samples is that we are a music publishing company and we want control over what we give away.

Thanks.
mynock70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, epub 3, sample, table of contents, toc