Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #76
imfede
imfede began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
ok, this require a lot of information and knowledge that i'm missing. Apparently i have to read a huge amount of data before understanding how to make a toolchain work. Said that i will try tcc (as a substitute of gcc since someone has already compiled it) and play a bit with it before messing things up with the sources of gcc which, i'm sure, are too difficoult for me to understand.

new problem: i've tried the apps on the website but some of them won't work.
in particular:
elinks: it can't find libssl.so.1.0.0
ettercap: same as above
where i can find and where i have to put this library in order for those programs to work? tia for the help, i'm eager to learn
imfede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #77
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@imfede: They were built for an older FW version (The KT moved from OpenSSL 0.9.8 to OpenSSL 1.0.x in FW 5.1.0).

Rebuild them against OpenSSL 1, or link them statically.

(I'd recommend against just symlinking OpenSSl 0.9 to OpenSSL 1, the soname was bumped for a reason, so expect ABI mismatches if you do that).

Alternatively, you could pull the OpenSSL lib from FW 5.0.x, put in somewhere in the userstore, and run the tools with a tweaked LD_LIBRARY_PATH that has your custom path before the rest.

EDIT: See #82, brainfart. It's actually the other way around . [Well, technically, my answer could still apply, except, well, the other way around (0.9.8 <=> 1.0.x / 5.0.x <=> 5.1.x) . But, yeah, probably easier to just upgrade ]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #78
imfede

things going crazy

important question: in your third line, "i'd recommend against just ..." should be "i'd reccommend again just"? if not i don't understand why i have to symlink openssl 0.9 to openssl 1 and not just change the library name during the compile. but i can be completely wrong since the sentence "the soname was bumped for a reason, so expect ABI mismatches if you do that" make no sense for me. i'm a noob here, have to study a lot

oh and btw my kindle has the 5.0.4 fw.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #79
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfede View Post
important question: in your third line, "i'd recommend against just ..." should be "i'd reccommend again just"? if not i don't understand why i have to symlink openssl 0.9 to openssl 1 and not just change the library name during the compile. but i can be completely wrong since the sentence "the soname was bumped for a reason, so expect ABI mismatches if you do that" make no sense for me. i'm a noob here, have to study a lot

oh and btw my kindle has the 5.0.4 fw.
"against" was correct. The major version changed from 0.x to 1.x, so symlinking may cause ABI mismatch errors, as suggested above...

The linux kernel (and other stuff) changed in 5.0.4. So the required libs may be for 5.0.3 and earlier...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #80
imfede

very difficult to concentrate right now, i think i will relax a bit now, i just want to have a c compiler on my kindle, but it seems almost impossible for me. that's a pity but i need more information on the subject, i hoped it was simpler
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #81
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
very difficult to concentrate right now, i think i will relax a bit now, i just want to have a c compiler on my kindle, but it seems almost impossible for me. that's a pity but i need more information on the subject, i hoped it was simpler
Don't get stressed out.

There is a tcc thread, where you can download a tcc package with installer (and an included demo program). Look in the tools index. Download it. Read its README. Install it. Use that until you figure out a "better" way. It is not for building full "make" packages. Better for demos and stuff.

Or... just install codesourcery on a linux box and use that to cross-compile. But tcc is much easier for simple stuff like my kindle animation demos.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #82
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
They were built for an older FW version (The KT moved from OpenSSL 0.9.8 to OpenSSL 1.0.x in FW 5.1.0).
It is exactly the opposite. They were built for the 5.1.0. Thus require libssl.so.1.
And imfede must have some older FW.

@imfede
upgrade!

Last edited by baf; 07-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #83
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@baf: Bleh, you're completely right! Sorry ;/

I somehow assumed it was the other way around because that's usually the case, but it didn't really make sense with both the poster's output, and the comments on your webpage . Serves me right for thinking about something else while typing an answer .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #84
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Better keep a copy, the next OTA update may empty /usr/local/*
Thanks for the warning, and also about space. I've moved the binary to a directory under /mnt/us which I was already using for my experiments (I try to keep the main fs mounted readonly). Replaced it with a symbolic link, so it's still in the $PATH.
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #85
istib
istib began at the beginning.

Hi all,

I've been hacking away on xterm and installed vim. A dream come true!
Thanks a lot to baf and the others for your efforts.

Two quick questions:
- what shell file gets started when launching xterm?
(i've tried adding some symlinks or other commands to "/mnt/us/extensions/xterm/bin/xterm.sh" but that doesn't seem to work)

- vim interpreted the "/mnt/us/extensions/xterm/bin/.vimrc" perfectly at first, but then I ran into a pernicious problem, which I cannot trace for the life of me: namely the mapping such as
nmap on :e /mnt/us/notes.txt<cr>
would not call the corresponding <cr> (and similarly with <tab>, <bs> etc.). It wouldn't matter too much for this single one, but I have a lot of such mappings -- and most annoying it worked well at first!

Any help appreciated
istib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #86
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What about <lf> ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #87
istib

<lf> doesn't work either.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #88
istib

I found the solution whilst browsing in vim docs.
I needed to set "nocompatible" (to make sure the '<' flag is excluded from 'cpoptions')
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #89
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Your keyboard.xml in 0.6 has an apostrophe as the action for the double quote key.

It should look like this instead:

Code:
<default display="image:/mnt/us/extensions/xterm/layouts/img/apostrophe.png" action="'" />
<shifted display="image:/mnt/us/extensions/xterm/layouts/img/quot.png" action="&quot;" />
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #90
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
(oh, btw, how can i change the PATH permanently so that every time i login my PATH contains also /mnt/us/bin ?)
Add the following line to the /mnt/us/extensions/xterm/bin/xterm.sh after the one with "PS1" in it:
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/bin
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons