Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (Kindle DRM-free) Demons Hide Their Faces by A.A. Attanasio [SF/Fantasy] +KDP

Today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else-but-5-days-free-out-of-90 thing which I still think will come back to bite people in uncomfortable areas but am nevertheless willing to take advantage of if it gets me nice backlist sf/fantasy books which I hope the authors will return to the other stores later slushpile trawl yields another A.A. Attanasio title.

There's also some mystery/thriller and humour stuff for the non-sf/fantasy readers. No romance, surprisingly, though one of the thrillers may be a romantic suspense.

Demons Hide Their Faces: Seven Strange Tales by A.A. Attanasio is a collection of his short stories which probably range through sf to fantasy to maybe-horror/literary.

As mentioned before, if you like his writing, some of his award-winning science fiction novels can be had for 37% off, DRM-free in your choice of ePub or Mobi, during re-publisher Phoenix Pick's January coupon sale.

Free without DRM, probably just for the rest of the day, over @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT.

Description
Featuring seven mind-bending stories, this captivating collection of strange fiction boldly gives form to a universe that is both wonderful and terrifying.

Josh Fruhlinger and Conor Lastowka, of the popular Comics Curmudgeon blog and RiffTrax.com, respectively, offer the humorous: Citation Needed]: The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing

The daily story from Nebula Award-winner Eric James Stone is: Betrayer of Trees

Michael Canfield/Evan Cobb mentions in his blurb having been published in the old Realms of Fantasy magazine, as well as current online sf outlets Strange Horizons and Daily Science Fiction. He offers: Exhibit A: A Novel of Suspense

A review mentions that Jane Toombs has written for the Zebra romance and Pinnacle thriller imprints of Kensington under pseudonyms. I've no idea whether this is true and I'm not going to bother googling. But her book is from the same BWLPP that re-released Lee Killough, and she offers a collection of short stories which seem to range from paranormal/fantasy to horror/thriller: Ten Past Midnight: Dark Tales from Jane Toombs

Previously Five Star-published Karen Fenech offers a CIA suspense/thriller (may be a romantic version of such), 1st in the Protectors series: Impostor

Previously Penguin-published UK writer John Matthews offers what looks like a police procedural serial killer thriller: Past Imperfect. He quotes some flattering previous reviews from UK newspapers, which may or may not applicable to this book.

MIRA-published Rick Mofina offers another short story: Blood Red Rings

Previously-Big 6-published (I've forgotten which and am not looking it up) Kent Harrington offers his small-press published 2nd novel, a DEA agent/organized drug trade thriller: Dia de los Muertos

William Casey Moreton, previously published by Pocket Star, offers two thrillers: Never Back Down and The Stranger Beside You. This author, if he is the same as a "Casey Moreton", which he seems to be according to Amazon's author page, was very dishonest on the Amazon discussion boards a year or two ago, pretending every so often to be a newly-joined commenter who'd just discovered the most amazing books by a particular author, so cheap at just $2.99 each and perfect for thriller lovers and leaving glowing 5-star reviews for his own books under his assumed identity, and then denying he was the author when asked even though his profile page had all the info about his real identity which he eventually changed to better cover his tracks. So caveat 1-clicker if this sort of public comportment is an author turn-off for you.

Bell Bridge Books-published Southern literary fiction author Janice Daugherty offers two short stories: The Hunt and Vacation Bible School (a tie-in to "Jesus Bus" which is presumably a novel)

If you missed it earlier, fellow MR member author Maryann Miller's short story collection is free again: The Wisdom of the Ages

Scott Nicholson, Aiden James, and J.R. Rain appear to have added more or repeated old KDP-freebies since yesterday. Also, they and another author (who does not appear to have added extra items) are holding some kind of giveaway contest for a Kindle Fire and some Amazon gift certificates, and fellow MR member koland has details in her Books on the Knob blog (link in her sig, if you have sig-viewing turned on).

If you think you might be interested in some science self-pubs: Heat Transfer - Engineering Applications by someone whose credentials are not mentioned, and Electron, by a guy who says he has a PhD.

Well, I think that's everything, and I should get something to eat before I head off to classes.

Happy reading, if you see something you think you might like.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got some more - 20 of them.

I have no idea what I'll do with them, although I might use them as bookends.

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
If you think you might be interested in some science self-pubs: Heat Transfer - Engineering Applications by someone whose credentials are not mentioned, and Electron, by a guy who says he has a PhD.
I keep looking for the $6K book on Nuclear power reactors. Alas, they apparently don't need the sales bump (or think no one will check it out of the KLL, possibly?). Be sure to keep an eye out for me ...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
ATDrake, I admit I read your posts now as much for the commentary as for the free books.

banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
ATDrake, I admit I read your posts now as much for the commentary as for the free books.

Ditto.

But I'm downloading entirely too many freebies in the process.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Much easier to throw out digital books you don't want, too, which is a bonus!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A few late additions now that I've got some time to properly browse:

Aaron Polson, who's been published in small-press print magazines you can see the details of in his Internet Science Fiction Database entry, offers a free story collection of zombie and ghoul tales: Dead Lands: 13 Stories

(ETA: Jeanette Cottrell offers her 2005 Five Star-published mystery starring a teacher as amateur sleuth: At Risk of Being a Fool

James L. Dickerson, who's written print-published celeb biographies of country music stars and movie actors, turns his hand to writing political technothrillers if you want to try: Last Dance at the Sudden Death Café)

(ETA 2: Previously featured Patty Jansen (ISFDB entry) offers a collection of her short sf/fantasy stories: Out of Here

J. Kathleen Cheney (ISFDB entry) offers a fantasy novella which she says was a Nebula finalist: Iron Shoes.

These are not KDP, and she offers a few more free via Amazon and Smashwords, which may be in the process of pricing catchup, as there are some not free in both venues.)

Hat tip to arcadata for finding and featuring this one on her Randomize ME blog: Kit Ehrman, a current Poisoned Pen Press author, offers one of his PPP-published Steve Cline mysteries, which looks like it's the 1st in the series: At Risk.

PPP are still holding their introductory 99 cent 10 early-in-series mystery sale, available DRM-free in a Mobi/ePub bundle when bought directly from them, and they seem to have excellent commitment to customer service. I can recommend without reservation the books written by Beverle Grave Myers, Priscilla Royal, Betty Webb, and Mary Reed & Eric Mayer, all of whom I've now read.

(Okay, not the particular BGM book on offer, but I've read others and I doubt her first book would be a fetid sinkhole of suck from which the sequels miraculously achieved escape velocity.)

If you're interested in Western European royal biographical fiction, arcadata's posted in her affiliate thread a deal for a biography of Queen Joan I of Naples, a member of the Anjou clan, written by Nancy Goldstone, who's a fairly good and entertaining biographer whose books I've read before. It's a bit pricier now than it was when I bought it, but at $2.38 CAD (and probably still somewhere near that in USD), it's good value for money if you like these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have no idea what I'll do with them …
Read them and weep*?

* If the stories turn out to be really bad. Or perhaps even if they turn out to be So Bad It's Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I keep looking for the $6K book on Nuclear power reactors. Alas, they apparently don't need the sales bump (or think no one will check it out of the KLL, possibly?)
Well, Springer is a major academic publisher and possibly they'd view every KLL loan as a $6,323.00 sale* lost. But on the other hand, if they were to put in it the KLL, it would make paying for Prime more than worth it.

That $6,200+ you save pays for like, 6 months of the rent on the underground concrete bunker for storing your doomsday machine, and you can get free shipping for your books and DVDs, too!

On the other hand, it may not be worth it for the casual reader. Certainly one of Springer's other offerings, this charming tale of functional relationships within the (NH4)2SO4 family was judged by reviewers as being something of a disappointment, despite the lower expectations which should go with its lower $5,200 price tag.

But it does qualify for Kindle e-textbook promotions, if you've got the appropriate sort of coupon.

And despite its flaws, it has managed to make it all the way to #71 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Materials Science > Metallurgy.

* That title, incidentally, is the single best argument I have ever seen for being able to turn off Amazon's default no-confirmation 1-click purchasing for Kindle books.

Also for being able to post reviews without making a "Verified Purchase".

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-12-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Wanton cruelty to the common comma. And proper link for affiliate-thread referral.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Well, Springer is a major academic publisher and possibly they'd view every KLL loan as a $6,323.00 sale* lost. But on the other hand, if they were to put in it the KLL, it would make paying for Prime more than worth it.

That $6,200+ you save pays for like, 6 months of the rent on the underground concrete bunker for storing your doomsday machine, and you can get free shipping for your books and DVDs, too!

On the other hand, it may not be worth it for the casual reader. Certainly one of Springer's other offerings, this charming tale of functional relationships within the (NH4)2SO4 family was judged by reviewers as being something of a disappointment, despite the lower expectations which should go with its lower $5,200 price tag.

But it does qualify for Kindle e-textbook promotions, if you've got the appropriate sort of coupon.

And despite its flaws, it has managed to make it all the way to #71 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Materials Science > Metallurgy.

* That title, incidentally, is the single best argument I have ever seen for being able to turn off Amazon's default no-confirmation 1-click purchasing for Kindle books.

Also for being able to post reviews without making a "Verified Purchase".
At least Springer started publishing in English (at least in the computer field), saving me from attempting to try to dredge up my college German in order to wade thru them. These particular ones, though, are even higher than I remember from postgrad days (when we though a few hundred for such titles was outrageous and out of reach). At the current prices, it looks more like a method of laundering drug money (or funding nuclear programs in banned countries) than passing along academic research.

Another stroke of luck - I hated chemistry, so won't mind passing up that bargain text.

Sadly, though, I've used up my textbook credit, so can't get my $10 off on these....

I've often wondered if anyone has accidentally one-clicked the title under discussion, though (esp. if their credit card/bank account had enough money in it to cover the bill). I've seen several threads linking to it, with lots of traffic, so there must have been at least one or two mistakes. At least it is returnable, though.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
[QUOTE=ATDrake;1921391]
"This author, if he is the same as a "Casey Moreton", which he seems to be according to Amazon's author page, was very dishonest on the Amazon discussion boards a year or two ago, pretending every so often to be a newly-joined commenter who'd just discovered the most amazing books by a particular author, so cheap at just $2.99 each and perfect for thriller lovers and leaving glowing 5-star reviews for his own books under his assumed identity, and then denying he was the author when asked even though his profile page had all the info about his real identity which he eventually changed to better cover his tracks. So caveat 1-clicker if this sort of public comportment is an author turn-off for you."

I want to add my voice to the others that I too enjoy your postings ATDrake.
When you add info such as the above quote I am thankful. Stay well. Keep posting.
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Here's another Canadian for you:

Memories of the Dead Man
by Douglas Smith (short story)