Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I'm using 7zip as and archive manager. When it comes to deleting that pesky .css file, 7zip just opens the *.epub file as an archive and then you just close it. No renaming or anything needed. 7zip is open-source:

http://www.7-zip.org/
The CSS is not pesky and should not be deleted. The problem is not the CSS but bugs in the Kobo reader. Deleting the CSS can cause your ePub to look awful instead of formatted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #32
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I think one of us here needs to take a look at what is causing this bug. What is it that KOBO is stumbling on?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #33
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
Also I did some research and it looks to me that the eReader firmware is applying styles to the <P> tags in ePub, I think this is how it is controlling the font-size and font-family. The reason I think this is the case is when I edit my troublesome ePubs and place the font-size: 1em; line on a class used for a <SPAN> tag within the <P> tags then the scaling works just fine.
Techie, this is what I found regarding the difference in ePubs that work and ones that don't work. Its not something that can be fixed just by changing 1 thing all the time, its more involved since its how the html is structured.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #34
techie42
Zealot

Okay. I guess I am just a bit worried by the tone of the KOBO reply.

This is a major issue for me. And, I assume that this will be a major issue when KOBO is released in the USA. If this is not fixed then it is a "fit for use" issue with me. As there are many ebooks that I cannot use the work around on.

As a developer and x-qa I understand how a product can get shipped this way. But, I do not see how this can be anything but a show stopper for a 1.1 release of the firmware.

I think I need to learn more about the style sheets. This is one of those subjects that I have happily ignored for years on end. And now it is biting me.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
techie42, I share your concern as well.

I was a web developer (now report writer) so I know HTML and CSS, so I guess I could fix my ePub books, but like I said its different for each book what the actual fix will be. Plus, if its a DRM file I'm not even sure you can.

One of the nice things of the Kobo is that they say you can use multiple different stores (any ePub Store) but that is not the case if they don't work properly.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #36
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Okay. I guess I am just a bit worried by the tone of the KOBO reply.

This is a major issue for me. And, I assume that this will be a major issue when KOBO is released in the USA. If this is not fixed then it is a "fit for use" issue with me. As there are many ebooks that I cannot use the work around on.

As a developer and x-qa I understand how a product can get shipped this way. But, I do not see how this can be anything but a show stopper for a 1.1 release of the firmware.

I think I need to learn more about the style sheets. This is one of those subjects that I have happily ignored for years on end. And now it is biting me.
Hi Techie,

Sorry if the tone of my earlier reply was concerning, didn't mean to diminish the importance of this issue. I can safely say that this is the top priority issue we are addressing right now based on customer feedback here and elsewhere.

I received your PM, will reply as soon as I can
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
NEW TIP:

I've found that if you plug in the Kobo, and then just unplug it again. Any 'NEW' (and thus unopened) books that were on the I'm Reading list get safely filed away into the bookshelf. (I can only attest to this with regular epubs, dunno about Kobo store books)

Figured this might help the people that have complained about cluttered I'm Reading lists after transferring their library to the Kobo
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #38
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
NEW TIP:

I've found that if you plug in the Kobo, and then just unplug it again. Any 'NEW' (and thus unopened) books that were on the I'm Reading list get safely filed away into the bookshelf. (I can only attest to this with regular epubs, dunno about Kobo store books)

Figured this might help the people that have complained about cluttered I'm Reading lists after transferring their library to the Kobo
Good tip, but unfortunate it doesn't work with books bought from Kobo. At least, not for me anyways.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
PDFs from ADE don't appear

I found that PDF ebooks dowloaded from the public library wouldn't appear in the reader under "books" or "documents." There was no problem at all with books in ePub format.

ADE read the PDFs just fine, and showed they were in the reader. When viewed with Windows, the files appeared in the '"digital editions" folder in the reader, even though they were inaccessible.

In the kobo, I moved them from the "digital editions" folder to the root directory. They now appear in the reader as "documents."

Of course the font size can't be changed, and they can't be converted to ePub with Calibre 'cause they're DRM'd, but at least they can be read.

Last edited by corona; 05-14-2010 at 11:25 AM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
deleting free books; brute force method

This from the Firmware Wish List (and I'm just assuming this is okay w/ the OP!):
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I just deleted the whole sqlite database on the Kobo and drag and dropped the ePubs that I wanted. When I unplugged the Kobo from my computer it recreated the sqlite database quite quickly, and much smaller, than the original. Worked like a damn.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #41
eli4672
eli4672 began at the beginning.

Deleting the sqLite database from my Kobo removed the 'free' books and caused 'Sync' to start working.
eli4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Lightbulb Budget Kobo Sleeve

New Tip:

I read earlier where someone suggested using a Post Office bubble mailer as a Kobo sleeve. I thought this was a good idea but maybe the mailer wouldn't last too long on its own. So I used my Foodsaver to fit a plastic sleeve over the mailer. It's not the prettiest but it sure is functional.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #43
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli4672 View Post
Deleting the sqLite database from my Kobo removed the 'free' books and caused 'Sync' to start working.
I really think the sqlite database is the source of many of the troubles people are having. After removing mine, the only issues I have is the known font problem. Everything is fast and works great otherwise.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #44
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I really think the sqlite database is the source of many of the troubles people are having. After removing mine, the only issues I have is the known font problem. Everything is fast and works great otherwise.
Is there a step by step instructions for this?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #45
anagel
anagel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST-1, PRST-2, PRST-3, Nook, Samsung Galaxy tab, Kobo first gen
Make a kobo sleeve out of a DVD case

I read somewhere that a DVD case works extremely well with a few modifications. And you can print out a nice cover and slip it under the see-through front. You have to remove the dvd holder part and allow for the button to fit in....but try that. This way your Kobo will be protected with a hardcover case.
anagel is offline   Reply With Quote