Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #61
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
For Pocket Pro ONLY:
Add support for user-provided fonts in FB2 ebooks. They are already supported on the Basic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #62
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
Also, they claim that .lit files are supported. So I'd like to see .lit files actually working!
Me Too.

Most of the books I have for my Wizard are .lit format.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #63
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Add support for user-provided fonts in FB2 ebooks. They are already supported on the Basic.
There'd be no reason to use any other format at all if they did this...
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #64
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Smile Search Feature

I had occassion to try out the Search Feature. It works GREAT. Essentially the same as on a phone (what is that called)

I did have one "oh shoot". I wanted to look for a period (.) and didn't see it. On the key for the symbols, there was no cycling through several symbols.

Searching for a word with a period at the end is probably pretty common, so if your techs work on the search feature, please add a period.

THX

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #65
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
5) [wallcraft] Fix: ePub page numbers get bigger with the zoom size. (Should use the same small font for page numbers regardless of the size of the main text font.)
Is anyone (who HAS updated their unit to the latest code release) still having trouble with this one? Or should it be considered fixed and removed from the list? (My unit's in the shop right now, because of the peeling paint problem, so I can't check it myself...)
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #66
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the EZreader Basic and the page numbers are very small. But they do over write some letters on the right side at times. I have gotten use to it and hardly notice it anymore.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #67
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have the EZreader Basic and the page numbers are very small. But they do over write some letters on the right side at times. I have gotten use to it and hardly notice it anymore.

Chuck
According to my experimentation, the page numbers are in the file, hardcoded as in a header. That is why they show up in strange locations. If the original epub file did not include page numbers, they would not show up.

I suggest someone else verify this as my epub files are limited.

BTW the size of the numbers are no larger than the text, and the margins of epub have been fixed.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #68
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
According to my experimentation, the page numbers are in the file, hardcoded as in a header. That is why they show up in strange locations. If the original epub file did not include page numbers, they would not show up.
Usually, the page numbers are not in the ePub, but are added every 1024 characters by Adobe Digital Editions, see How are the page numbers/number of pages defined?.

It is possible to produce an ePub without page numbers (i.e. with page numbers explicitly turned off), but that isn't a good idea because ADE relies on "sensible" page numbers to do things like bookmarks and remembering where you are in the ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #69
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Is anyone (who HAS updated their unit to the latest code release) still having trouble with this one? Or should it be considered fixed and removed from the list? (My unit's in the shop right now, because of the peeling paint problem, so I can't check it myself...)
With the latest firmware the page number stays small on the first three zoom levels and then increases on the last two. The page number font is smaller on the top two zoom levels than it was before. I don't think this is a problem, but I think some people thought the page number was supposed to stay the same size at every zoom level.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #70
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Usually, the page numbers are not in the ePub, but are added every 1024 characters by Adobe Digital Editions, see How are the page numbers/number of pages defined?.

It is possible to produce an ePub without page numbers (i.e. with page numbers explicitly turned off), but that isn't a good idea because ADE relies on "sensible" page numbers to do things like bookmarks and remembering where you are in the ebook.
That's the disconnect then. I do not use ADE, and have not even installed in on my computer. The epub's I have are non-drm I've gotten either from MR or other sources.

I'm finding a excellent solution in making my own PDF's from my scanned books. I have finalized the options and have a very acceptable ebook.

AJ
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #71
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
That's the disconnect then. I do not use ADE, and have not even installed in on my computer. The epub's I have are non-drm I've gotten either from MR or other sources.

I'm finding a excellent solution in making my own PDF's from my scanned books. I have finalized the options and have a very acceptable ebook.

AJ
Actually page numbers as a discrete item is an addon feature in ADE. They are not defined in ePUB standard. PDF, does define page numbers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #72
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually page numbers as a discrete item is an addon feature in ADE. They are not defined in ePUB standard. PDF, does define page numbers.

Dale
I am creating my PDF from my WordPerfect files. My version of WordPerfect does both read (i.e., OCR translate) non-protected PDF, and it will "Publish" to PDF.

So I scan my books, fix all formatting, errors, TOC, links if I want them, etc., in my WordPerfect, and then publish to PDF. I do NOT put page numbers in the text, and, so far, no page numbers have shown up in my pdf files on my Pocket Pro. The method I have streamlined works very well for me.

I format to a 4 x 6 "page", font size 14, make paragraphs 1.5 lines apart, use Heading1 for Chapters, enter book title and author into Properties and publish. My Pocket Pro file is essential readable at the smallest size, but I do enlarge it to zoom 3 for comfort.

Two items I have noticed, on Zoom, the Pocket Pro loses centering and indents. I can live with that. And when the Pocket Pro reaches the end of the pdf "page", it breaks to a new page, thus every 4 or 5 zoomed pages, I get half a page of text. I can live with that.

I'm happily, busily formating all my favorite books.....

AJ
Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #73
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Wait you scan your books? O_O
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #74
Travis_uk
Mostly Harmless
Travis_uk began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader PRO, Sony PRS-505
Unhappy The green light

Depending on the angle I'm holding the reader, the green light flashing before and after every page turn can get old pretty quickly - nobody else has mentioned this. An option to turn it off when not charging would help with concentrating on reading rather than constant reminders that I'm staring at a hard-working box of tricks.
Travis_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #75
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Wait you scan your books? O_O

Yes, I've slowly scanned my favorite pb's for the past 10 or so years. Most of the books are ones I read over and over, and are out of print. I don't expect them to be produced as ebooks, and it will be decades before they are out of copyright.

Now I have my PEZ I can read again, as my eyesight has deteriorated so I can easily read from pb's. I've been reading on my old 1st gen flat screen monitor which is VERY hard on the eyes.

I am thrilled with my PEZ, I've had no problems at all, except the peeling, which I've taken care of.

My apologies, but I don't know what "O_O" means.

AJ

BTW, I DO NOT make my scanned books available to anyone but myself. I do not cheat the author in any way. Most of the ones I'm scanning, the author is dead.

PS I'm originally from Houston also.