Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Hello from Kansas, USA

Hello All,

I just discovered this forum by accident when I was googling for more info about the Kindle Paperwhite, and it looks like there is a lot of useful information here!

I have had a Kindle 2 since it came out and have really liked it, especially on trips, but also for reading in bed every night (with a small booklight attached). A couple of nights ago I got into bed and accidentally put my knee on the screen of my Kindle, which was under the covers for some reason. As soon as I looked at it I knew it was all over: the screen had many horizontal and vertical lines, was unresponsive, and there was a dark splotch at the bottom. I called amazon but of course there was nothing that could be done; I wasn't going to lie about what happened, and it was out of warranty anyway. Amazon suggested getting a refurbished Kindle Paperwhite 3G (actually they gave me several options, but that is the one I decided on). It is currently "out for delivery" via UPS (and has been for more than 12 hours!) so I expect it to show up on the front porch any second now.

I am looking forward to getting it set up, charged up, and seeing whether or not I got a "good screen." I am most concerned about the screen, as I have read that many people have received Paperwhites with defective screens. I think the new ones are probably OK but I am not sure about the refurbished ones since they may be ones that people returned for screen problems.

If the screen is OK, I think the Paperwhite will be a great improvement over my K2, which was beginning to have other problems (would not go back to the page where I had stopped reading, and randomly shut down and restarted), so if I hadn't killed the screen it might not have lasted much longer anyway. Nonetheless, I feel bad about crushing the screen with my knee. The K2 was in the amazon hard case, but the case was open and folded back. I also got the hard case for the Paperwhite (the K2 case would not fit it, according to amazon) and will be sure to close it when I am not reading. [Not sure what I will do about falling asleep and leaving the Kindle hidden under the down comforter, however! Will have to watch that!]

Well, that's about it. Looking forward to learning more from this forum.

ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Thank you very much!
ozziepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, kindle, paperwhite, screen