Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sigil 0.7 Beta (0.6.902) Available

The second beta for 0.7.0 is now avaliable. Please see the Changelog for a full list of changes.

There is a known issue with context menus displaying with corruption on OS X.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Thanks!

I just verified that issue 1874 is still having a problem with this:
Quote:
When you use the "Delete Unused Stylesheet Classes" feature Sigil selects pseudo-elements for deletion as well.
e.g.
p.first
p.first:first-line
p.first:first-letter

Will remove "first-line" and "first-letter" even though the "first" class is being used.

This is obviously avoidable if you review the list of selected deletions before accepting...but it would be better to not have them selected in the first place.

Here's the relevant css/html as I have them:

Code:
div.v-ctr {height:100%; width:100%; display:table; position:absolute}
div.v-ctr div{display:table-cell; vertical-align:middle}
.auth, .stit1, .stit2 {text-align:center; text-indent:0; margin-right:0; margin-left:0}
.auth  {margin-top:1em; margin-bottom:0; font-size:2.2em; font-weight:bold}
.stit1 {margin-top:2em; margin-bottom:1em; font-size:1.1em; font-weight:bold}
.stit2 {margin-top:2em; margin-bottom:0; font-size:1.1em; font-weight:normal; font-style:italic}
.stit1 + .stit1 {margin-top:-1em; margin-bottom:1em}

<body>
  <div class="v-ctr">
    <div>
      <h1 id="title">Marvin Rules!</h1>

<p class="stit1">Saga of an ePuber</p>

<p class="stit1">Book 69</p>

<p class="stit1">(Sub-Series Book 1)</p>

<p class="stit2">By</p>

<p class="auth">Yours Truly</p>
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
Sigil will mark the following for deletion:
div.v-ctr div
.auth
.stit1
.stit2
.stit1 + .stit1

As an aside:
I know that Kindle Previewer doesn't like the "position:absolute" in div.v-ctr ...does anyone know of an alternate way to get a block of text vertically centered in the viewing window??

Cheers!
Dion
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I thought a summary of most of the new features to 0.7.0 would be useful. Ok, they're in the guide, but in case you haven't been there...

This beta is probably the last before final release as there don't seem to be any major issues. So please test as if this were the final release and report anything of concern. Or even post if you tried a feature and it worked as expected.

Live Preview - For those missing the old Split View, this is probably as close as it will get. A dockable window that displays what Book View shows while you are typing in Code View. With syncing of cursor both ways. You can also use it while you edit your CSS file and see the effect it has on your HTML in the preview window - without having to use an external editor.

Spellcheck - A lot of changes here. You'll notice the spellcheck button is no longer next word, but opens a dialog. All of your misspelled words are shown (and even all correctly spelled words, with a tooltip in the header showing the count of unique words). You can now click a word to show that word in your HTML file (doubleclick for the next occurrence), and choose to Ignore it, add it to a dictionary, or change every occurrence of the word to something you type or one of the suggestions. And you can enable multiple dictionaries at once - so you can have a standard list of names, places, words with curly apostrophes, alongside one for the specific book. And you can even turn disable the primary dictionary if you want.

Edit TOC - If you have an existing TOC in a book and want to make a simple change without having to setup headers everywhere, you can now just edit the TOC in a dialog.

Clips - The Clips features have been modified to make them a bit more accessible. So you can enable a Clips Bar toolbar showing you your first 20 clips (and they can have keyboard shortcuts too). In addition to defining Clips for html code, you can also make a button for a special character you use often (e.g. create a curly apostrophe button and ctrl-apostrophe to use it). A Clips window is like the clip editor but you just need a single click to select an entry. Basically you can define your own buttons now (well, for simple items). Oh, and there's an Autofill in Clips that will scan your CSS files and create entries for them, perhaps to save some typing or just for amusement.

Reports - a few more reports. The All Files report is included to cover Audio and Video files but is useful to see what is in Misc, how large your font files are, etc. The Links report will tell you every anchor link used in the book and whether or not it points to a valid destination. And if you use anchors for footnotes/endnotes it will tell you if your reverse links match. And a small Characters Used in the Book report to see if anything odd made it into the files, and possibly to help with font subsetting (although its probably not ideal for that although it was the original reason for it).

Audio/Video - You can play audio and video files in Sigil, and all the related functions for inserting images, deleting unused images, editing externally have been updated to handle Audio and Video files as well.

You can search with wrap on or off now, embedded fonts display correctly and random highlighting issues are gone (finally), the Index and HTML TOC now use separate stylesheets for their formatting, and you can bookmark your location to return to later.

Thanks to everyone for testing and your suggestions.

@Turtle91 - thanks for re-testing the pseudo-element CSS parsing code. After a read through of the rules that apply to the pseudo-elements I've updated the code to correctly handle them (for post-beta 2). I had originally thought you had to use a class of first:first-letter and not just the class first in the HTML file, but I see how its used now. In your code example you aren't actually using any pseudo elements - but you're right that it doesn't handle the example either, and that will be fixed as well (it's good to remember that any and all selectors that apply are used, and it doesn't just stop at the first one that matches). In case you didn't know you can double-click on an entry in the Delete dialog to jump to it for checking. Did you also have an issue/question with sigil-not-in-toc?

@Jabby - Looks like the F&R text will stay as they are as the text boxes limit what can be done. You should be able to control the font/size in your OS dpi settings, unless I'm not understanding what the issue is.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Talking You want Reports

Validate with W3C: No Launch of Browser; No passing of anything to Browser
BROKEN on XP SP-3 (FF is my default browser)

Had a (1 time?) case where S&R (All HTML, down) would not switch files and search again.

Renaming a file after generating a HTML TOC link does not get updated
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BROKEN on XP SP-3 (FF is my default browser)
Works ok for me. I don't think this part of the code was changed. Does it work/not work for anyone else on XP?

Quote:
Had a (1 time?) case where S&R (All HTML, down) would not switch files and search again.
That should have been fixed by making sure the source was cleaned before searching so that all the files were identical. Possibly something else, but difficult to reproduce. Running Replace All twice or Count All is still probably a good idea then.

Quote:
Renaming a file after generating a HTML TOC link does not get updated
This works for me. Or rather, I can Create the HTML TOC and then rename one of the files that are referenced in the TOC.xhtml file and the HTML TOC file is updated with the new name. Unless you mean something else - maybe you can provide the exact steps/names?

Last edited by meme; 02-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Me too.

XP-SP3 and Firefox
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
With this beta, for me loading speed is back to normal, at least on what I am working on now. No other problems noted.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
cr0ybot
cr0ybot began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
Thank you for this beta. 0.6.2 wasn't opening at all on Mac 10.7.5 for me, but this works great.

I like the addition of the separate preview window. I had to go searching for how to turn it on (a menu icon would be nice), but it's really helpful. I noticed that the new preview window and the book view don't seem to handle images at 100% height very well anymore (they stretch to almost 4.5x the window height). The normal book view used to do just fine.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Me too.

XP-SP3 and Firefox

Thanks, it is not just me then.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0ybot View Post
Thank you for this beta. 0.6.2 wasn't opening at all on Mac 10.7.5 for me, but this works great.

I like the addition of the separate preview window. I had to go searching for how to turn it on (a menu icon would be nice), but it's really helpful. I noticed that the new preview window and the book view don't seem to handle images at 100% height very well anymore (they stretch to almost 4.5x the window height). The normal book view used to do just fine.
I considered an icon (just re-using the old split view one), but the menu entry (and shortcut) is a toggle for the window and I didn't like how having an extra toggle icon on the toolbar looked. The only other toggle icons are book view and code view. Plus none of the other windows have an icon, and its more of an 'advanced' feature when using Code View. But it does make it harder to find. Same with the Clips Bar which I considered briefly making open by default.

The height stretching is odd. Not sure how it looked before, but if it has changed then its another bug from Qt5. Win some, lose some...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
@Turtle91 - Did you also have an issue/question with sigil-not-in-toc?
Yes, I was just commenting in the other thread (about getting rid of the id for headers at the top of the file) that I am still getting the "sigil_not_in_toc" for any Heading tags that are deselected when creating a TOC. I mis-rmembered when I thought they were IDs...they are actually CLASSes being added.
e.g.
<h4 class="sigil_not_in_toc">test</h4>

I'm not sure if that is required for other Sigil operations...that's OK if it does, I work around it...it just offends my OCD minimization tendencies.

=====

I did find another issue. When you are saving the file as another name it errors out if you have a "." in the filename and do NOT manually enter the ".epub" at the end.

e.g.
File/Save As...
Filename: "Montoya, Inigo H. M. N. I. - Epubers United 01 - Kindle's Drool"
Save as type: "EPUB file (*.epub)"

results in the error: "Sigil cannot save files of type ' - Epubers United 01 - Kindle's Drool'. Please choose a different format."

It works fine if you manually add the ".epub" at the end of the filename:
"Montoya, Inigo H. M. N. I. - Epubers United 01 - Kindle's Drool.epub"

======

I can also confirm the image going really tall (2 screen heights?) even if the height="100%" is set.
This does appear to be a QT5 bug as it displays fine in the other readers I've tried.

Cheers!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
cr0ybot
cr0ybot began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
The height stretching is odd. Not sure how it looked before, but if it has changed then its another bug from Qt5. Win some, lose some...
Turns out this was happening in one book I was working on, but not another; I took a closer look, and the images that were acting as they should had a CSS style of "max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;". Dropped that into the book with stretching issues and it was all sorted out.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I was a user of version 4.2 til very recently when I went to v 6.2, because I got burned out on beta-testing on other software and avoided upgrading, so my HUGE thanks to the programmers and to the early adopters who have improved Sigil beyond my dreams. It's so different now, it is almost like learning to use a new program. Simply great.

And Meme, the documentation is really really good. (though I have one teeeeeny suggestion -- maybe you could add a note that the FlightCrew validation is color-coded to yellow for warnings and pink for ERRORS. That took me some weeks to realize when I was a new user.)

Guys, ya done good. Thank you so much!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
meme
Sigil developer

@grannyGrumpy - thanks. Glad you like it. I've updated the docs for the next release of the guide with the colour tip.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
A doubt on clips

I've just started using the clips dockable pane and I've found that when I try to paste a clip on the stylesheet nothing happens, although it works perfectly on the html files. Is this the expected behaviour?
That's not a big issue since pasting clips on the stylesheet via context menu or the clip bar behaves as expected.

Regarding the issue I posted on the previous beta thread, that sometimes the html tabs from the previously opened epub remained in the window when loading a new one, I must say it haven't happened again since I'm using the 0.6.0902 version.

I'm running windows 7 64 bits.
Closed Thread