Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
The capacitive film layer of Kindle Paperwhite is under the light distributing layer.
The light distributing layer is on top and should be just as vulnerable to scratches as on Nook. However, Kindle Paperwhite is too new for many of such problems to have developed already.
The capacitive layer is considered to be 90% transparent (according to wikipedia), so there is an additional 10% loss of contrast on Kindle Paperwhite (at least 10% loss of transparency). As to the light distributing layer lowering contrast - it is well documented.
So Paperwhite loses most with two additional layers on top of e-ink.

I suggest buying Sony PRS-T2. Sorry, I meant some other Onyx Boox i62 which does not glow
Using this built-in lighting regularly is very unhealthy anyway. It should be used for emergencies only. Never at home, at least, where you can design and control your lighting.
Did you ever see a glowing in the dark printed book?
When the light is on, e-ink loses its purpose, you can use an LCD tablet just as well.
There is also an unhealthy tendency to use this lighting all the time so that the screen looks whiter.
I'd rather have a very compact but very good clip-on light in my pocket for emergencies (such as Ozeri Kandle II) than a contrast reducing permanent layer.

Last edited by parkher; 11-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post

Using this built-in lighting regularly is very unhealthy anyway. It should be used for emergencies only. Never at home, at least, where you can design and control your lighting.
Did you ever see a glowing in the dark printed book?
When the light is on, e-ink loses its purpose, you can use an LCD tablet just as well.
There is also an unhealthy tendency to use this lighting all the time so that the screen looks whiter.
I'd rather have a very compact but very good clip-on light in my pocket for emergencies (such as Ozeri Kandle II) than a contrast reducing permanent layer.
It's reflected light (similar to using a lamp), so why is it unhealthy? I using a clip on light regularly unhealthy (that's what I do)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
So, has any early adopter received shipping confirmation?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
So, has any early adopter received shipping confirmation?

First batch has been already delivered to the first pre-orderers.

Now we have a short delay (of 3-5 days) for the second batch, which was scheduled for 9th of November. All already processing orders will be dispatched till next wednesday. For customers, who is going to place his order now, we have a bad news - the manufacturer of frontlighted Eink screens (PVI) can't produce as much screens as Onyx has ordered in agreed time. Onyx is pushing PVI every day, since they have to respect agreed delivery time. But we have to expect delays.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

Now we have a short delay (of 3-5 days) for the second batch, which was scheduled for 9th of November. All already processing orders will be dispatched till next wednesday. For customers, who is going to place his order now, we have a bad news - the manufacturer of frontlighted Eink screens (PVI) can't produce as much screens as Onyx has ordered in agreed time. Onyx is pushing PVI every day, since they have to respect agreed delivery time. But we have to expect delays.
So when is mine going to arrive?

Since you tend to not answer questions by pm I have to ask in public.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But we have to expect delays.
If I were to order, say, next week, how long would that delay be approximately?

And a question for owners: how is screen brightness? Is the lowest setting "low" enough that it won't burn your eyes while reading in complete darkness?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:

09/26/2012 My reservation enters this first shipment?

I have not received confirmation email.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #38
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
I would like to ask a few questions:

Does i62HD Firefly use the same software as the "normal" i62HD?

Is it possible to save the annotated PDF as a new PDF file and export it to my computer? Because I could try a normal i62HD last week (and its bigger "brother", too) and I could not find that function; just M92 had such a menu.

I had a difficulty when tried to create footnotes. The virtual keyboard appeared every time, but sometimes I could see just the first row of it, and I couldn't solve this problem. (The default language was Hungarian).

And the last one is: When I recieve such a new device, should I refresh somehow the software before I start to use it? Do I need a card reader in order to do this?

Thank you!
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #39
gjergji
gjergji began at the beginning.

Device: none
So anyone got theirs yet?
gjergji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
yayo
Groupie

Mine just got shipped.

Wait, false alarm.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #41
neilayla
neilayla began at the beginning.

Device: Onix Boox i62 Firefly
Hi Booxtor, you just send me a message telling me about my order delay (onyx boox i62hd firefly). I need to know how many days of delay has the delivery and if the firmware for the i62hd will have android in the next future before make a desicion. I would appreciate a quick reponse. I fill impatient! Thank's.

You just email me. I'll send you my desicion as soon as possible. (I need to think a little bit about it). Thank's a lot for your help.

Last edited by neilayla; 11-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.
neilayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
szlevi
Enthusiast

Could someone answer my questions, please?
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by szlevi View Post
I would like to ask a few questions:

Does i62HD Firefly use the same software as the "normal" i62HD?

Is it possible to save the annotated PDF as a new PDF file and export it to my computer? Because I could try a normal i62HD last week (and its bigger "brother", too) and I could not find that function; just M92 had such a menu.

I had a difficulty when tried to create footnotes. The virtual keyboard appeared every time, but sometimes I could see just the first row of it, and I couldn't solve this problem. (The default language was Hungarian).

And the last one is: When I recieve such a new device, should I refresh somehow the software before I start to use it? Do I need a card reader in order to do this?

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #43
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by szlevi View Post
Could someone answer my questions, please?
Thanks!
firefly uses a slightly different software, because updates are differents. But uses the same reading software, same features ecc..

with new update 1.8 I can create a new pdf(copy) with integrated annotations and scratches

for 3, I have had the same problem, I should test if now something is changed

4 instructions on how to update are in the first post oof update thread.
if you want you can update, but it's recommended, if you don't like new update you can come back to last update you can download

hope you understand my little explanation bye!
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #44
Senior Junior
Enthusiast
Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx FireFly & Onyx C67ML 8Gb Carta & Asus TF101G
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilayla View Post
...and if the firmware for the i62hd will have android in the next future before make a desicion...
Imho, 128 mb operative memory has not enough for tablet Android
I have 278 mb on my “googlephone” and 1gb on my tablet, in first case it is obviously not enough for normal work of the device, in some situations it works very slowly

SJ with BR

Last edited by Senior Junior; 11-15-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Senior Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
szlevi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inemi View Post
firefly uses a slightly different software, because updates are differents. But uses the same reading software, same features ecc..

with new update 1.8 I can create a new pdf(copy) with integrated annotations and scratches

for 3, I have had the same problem, I should test if now something is changed

4 instructions on how to update are in the first post oof update thread.
if you want you can update, but it's recommended, if you don't like new update you can come back to last update you can download

hope you understand my little explanation bye!