Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I, and many others have no problem with it... It's FREE, and like MobileRead supported by many generous people who give their time and expertise for FREE and it does a lot of amazing things to help you convert books and manage a library and you're not OBLIGED to use it.. Thanks...
I paid $50 to Calibre and will probably send in another $50. That's not freeware.

But I do understand that users on forums like these are unpaid volunteers, so I thanked them for walking me through the icon/menu business. That doesn't mean that I can't criticize the Calibre interface as kind users here aren't responsible for it.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
But I do understand that users on forums like these are unpaid volunteers, so I thanked them for walking me through the icon/menu business. That doesn't mean that I can't criticize the Calibre interface as kind users here aren't responsible for it.
Looking back at PeterT's original instructions, I see what the problem is. His first step was "Go to the calibre Preferences menu". That should have been "dialog" instead of "menu". And apparenty, I read what he meant rather than what he actually said.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
I paid $50 to Calibre and will probably send in another $50. That's not freeware.

Calibre is "donationware" -- you're welcome to send them a donation if you like, but it is not enforced at all, it does not nag you (aside from showing the "donate" button in the toolbar by default, which is removable), and there is no limitation in functionality if you never donate. If you chose to send calibre $50-100, that was your own decision and doesn't change the fact that the software is still free and open source for anybody who would like to use it or contribute changes.

Also, there's nothing wrong with criticizing calibre's interface, but criticism goes down easier with workable suggestions on how to make things better. Invariably, every time I see someone post a criticism of calibre's UI they never provide any actual constructive feedback besides, "It's ugly." The fact of the matter is that the current UI works well for millions of users right now, and there will always be some minority for whom it doesn't work well. Maybe you're one of the few, and there's nothing wrong with that, but things can't be made "better" without specific suggestions on how it could be made better for you (keep in mind that the UI is very customizable, with three toolbars and a menu bar that you can complete change or remove, so it might just be that you need to spend 5 minutes in the configs rearranging things to your preference).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Gee, I had no idea I was such a dummie! Not supposed to read submenus, must only look on icons!

You honestly think that's a good user interface?

But, anyway, thanks for leading me by the hand!
And of course before complaining about this FREE program a lot of people consider essential to their ereader experience you read the faq first.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
I have obviously rubbed folks the wrong way, as I sometimes do with my orange cat without realizing it. (Sorry, Cal; I'll take my hand off your fur, you pull your claws in.) This last week I have spent far more time fiddling with ereader technology than reading ebooks. I hope this next week is a lot better for all/most/many/some Kobo users.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote