Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
eolake
Enthusiast
eolake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
iPad/iBooks and page count

I was under the impression that iBooks and other ereader apps, sensibly enough, used "locations" instead of page count, because the latter depends on text size. But it seems that Apple iBooks app actually us page count instead so a page number changes with text size. Anybody know a way around this?

I mean how to say to your buddy: "In Snow Leopard Missing Manual, text substitution is on page 575", without knowing what text size he happens to have set?
eolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
iBooks should, apparently, support the pageList convention in the epub standard. It's up to the person designing the epub to implement this properly so that the page numbers displayed correspond to a standard reference.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
eolake
Enthusiast

Ah. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE has a standard way of calculating page numbers based on the text. It has nothing to do with the text size. So in that regard it is fairly easy to find a page without worrying about the size of the text.

iBooks totally breaks this as it re-paginates every time you change the text size and the page numbers are based on the number of screen pages. So iBooks has rather useless page numbers. You'd have to tell someone at 3 up from the smallest font size (not including the smallest font size), go to page 52.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Sony also uses page counts instead of locations. I myself feel more comfortable with pages, although admittedly I haven't yet had to compare text locations with someone else.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Sony also uses page counts instead of locations. I myself feel more comfortable with pages, although admittedly I haven't yet had to compare text locations with someone else.
For ePub files, Sony (like every other ADE device) use ADE "pages", which are a count of 1k characters in the compressed file. They have no connection with "display pages" on the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
eolake
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie... What is ADE, please? (I couldn't find it on Wikipedia.)
Hmmm, is it Adobe Digital Editions? Does Sony really use this?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, ADE is Adobe Digital Editions. It's the software which almost every eBook reader except the Apple iPad uses to display both ePub and PDF files. Don't confuse the ADE firmware (which is in the device's ROM) with the ADE desktop application for the PC/Mac.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote