Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Miklagard
Miklagard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Replacing a broken screen

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to solve my problem. I broke the screen on my Kobo Touch. I bought a broken demo unit with an intact screen from eBay. I swapped out the boards. The new screen works in that I can see my library, the boot-up screen, and the language selection screen. However, I have no touch functionality at all. The reader it's coming from is definitely a touch, but I couldn't power it on to determine if it had touch functionality when hooked to its own board. Is there any hope, or is it time to just buy a new ereader?
Miklagard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a Touch where the display itself is broken but touch screen functionality still works perfectly fine. In my case it's easy to verify because the lower third of the screen still works. With a completely dead screen you could verify by hooking up USB and see if the PC detects it after touching the screen in the right place (the connect button). On my touch this button is in the center of the screen, about one inch from the bottom.

Touch screen failure can be caused by dirt (outside in the display borders, and inside the device itself). It's also possible that the board itself is not mounted/aligned properly.

Sometimes it's just a failure of the infrared emitters/sensors, I've bought a used Glo with perfect display but no touch whatsoever. I suspect it's the board itself in this case, but I can't test it... haven't had luck on Ebay lately, people just bid too much for broken stuff.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Miklagard
Miklagard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I have a Touch where the display itself is broken but touch screen functionality still works perfectly fine. In my case it's easy to verify because the lower third of the screen still works. With a completely dead screen you could verify by hooking up USB and see if the PC detects it after touching the screen in the right place (the connect button). On my touch this button is in the center of the screen, about one inch from the bottom.

Touch screen failure can be caused by dirt (outside in the display borders, and inside the device itself). It's also possible that the board itself is not mounted/aligned properly.

Sometimes it's just a failure of the infrared emitters/sensors, I've bought a used Glo with perfect display but no touch whatsoever. I suspect it's the board itself in this case, but I can't test it... haven't had luck on Ebay lately, people just bid too much for broken stuff.
Turns out that you are right - it just wasn't mounted tightly and when I made some adjustments the touch functionality came right back. So this eBay screen from a "broken" Kobo touch does indeed work just fine. Now my original battery seems to be acting up (claiming 100% but not holding a charge) so we'll see if that needs replacing too. Unfortunately the battery that came with the reader has a different type of connector, so I can't try it out.
Miklagard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklagard View Post
Turns out that you are right - it just wasn't mounted tightly and when I made some adjustments the touch functionality came right back. So this eBay screen from a "broken" Kobo touch does indeed work just fine. Now my original battery seems to be acting up (claiming 100% but not holding a charge) so we'll see if that needs replacing too. Unfortunately the battery that came with the reader has a different type of connector, so I can't try it out.
You could use the existing leads, still attached to the connector, and solder the new battery's leads to the leads from the old connector.

You might find it easier to remove a battery, if you can work some solvent saturated dental floss under the battery.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-06-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote