Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #166
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
No reason at all but does that justify a campaign against a specific. book or author?

I will repeat I read the Judge Dee books over 30 years ago and they are among my favourite books even though crime is far from my favourite genre.

I would recommend them to anyone to try but accept that they will not suit everyone.
No it doesn’t. You asked a direct question and I tried to give a direct answer. Where the campaigning against an author or book does comes here? It’s a matter of personal preference for me.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #167
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
No reason at all but does that justify a campaign against a specific. book or author?

I will repeat I read the Judge Dee books over 30 years ago and they are among my favourite books even though crime is far from my favourite genre.

I would recommend them to anyone to try but accept that they will not suit everyone.
I've already answered your question, but is there a reason our answers have to be justified? Its a book club, we made our choices. There is only one person that I can think of who actually campaigned against a book, so you should probably ask that person specifically if you really want to know their reasoning (Although if it is who I'm thinking of then a reason was already given). Many of us, like myself, mentioned the book(s) we wanted to win, which is par for the course here. Some (also like myself) went so far as to say why we wanted our choice(s) to win.

Isn't that enough?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #168
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Agreed. The price is steep. $9.79 and it's a genre that generally hasn't interested me, although I've always thought I should read more. I'm checking the public library here and it looks like I might be able to get it through inter-library loan, but I forgot my library card at home. Dangit. It might be a while before I read it, but I definitely want to read it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #169
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I thought the whole idea behind the book club (book clubs in general) was to provide an avenue to books you *wouldn't normally* read. Oh well...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #170
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I thought the whole idea behind the book club (book clubs in general) was to provide an avenue to books you *wouldn't normally* read. Oh well...
I agree! And almost every month I find something I would never ever have thought of looking for otherwise. But to start reading a book I really need to be at least a little bit curious about it.

This month's winner does nothing for me. I don't get any desire what-so-ever to read it. People's comments got me curious about Storm Front though, which is also a book in a genre I normally wouldn't read. And since that one is available at my library, that's the one I'll read.

I'm all for widening my horizons, and at some point I may even read something by Gulik, but not right now.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Just to be clear I was not suggesting that we conduct a vote through any sort of private message system. That would be burdening the Grand Muckity-Muck too much
I did volunteer to do such a vote via PM so our fearless leader would not have to do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 50% off coupon via Sony 50OFFTWODAYS is still valid now. I just tried it and it will work with Chinese Maze Murders to bring the price down to $5.20. I don't know if this works in Canada.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-29-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #173
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I agree! And almost every month I find something I would never ever have thought of looking for otherwise. But to start reading a book I really need to be at least a little bit curious about it.

This month's winner does nothing for me. I don't get any desire what-so-ever to read it. People's comments got me curious about Storm Front though, which is also a book in a genre I normally wouldn't read. And since that one is available at my library, that's the one I'll read.

I'm all for widening my horizons, and at some point I may even read something by Gulik, but not right now.
& Thank you!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #174
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This was a good month for nominations. I've already read A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as I have all the Holmes stories) and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, and highly recommend them.

I put the following on my TBR list:
* The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
* The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer
* Storm Front by Jim Butcher

And I'm loving The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (currently halfway through).

Thanks, everyone, for so many great recommendations!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Of the ones nominated this time, I've already read

1. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
3. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
4. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher

Of those 1 is Ok, nothing to write home about. 2 starts off rather slow and picks up quite nicely come the second half. 3 & 4 are quite good.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #176
Nyssa
Series Addict

The books added to my TBR from the poll are:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

A Study in Scarlet - Thanks to the MR library
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Book of Fate

and

Murder on the Orient Express - I've always wanted to read an Agatha Christie novel and have just never gotten around to it.

I finished Storm Front last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! I bought the 2nd book Fool Moon about 2/3 of the way into Storm Front.

Tom's enthusiasm over The Chinese Maze Murders has pushed it closer to consideration, but I still don't like the price.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #177
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The books added to my TBR from the poll are:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

A Study in Scarlet - Thanks to the MR library
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Book of Fate

and

Murder on the Orient Express - I've always wanted to read an Agatha Christie novel and have just never gotten around to it.

I finished Storm Front last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! I bought the 2nd book Fool Moon about 2/3 of the way into Storm Front.

Tom's enthusiasm over The Chinese Maze Murders has pushed it closer to consideration, but I still don't like the price.
Haven't read it.
Read it, love it and all the Homes books
Read it, good book but not awesome as some had said.
Interested in it, guess it's fate.

MOTOE is the best Christie book in my opinion. Loved it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Did you read about getting The Chinese Maze Murders for only $5.20 in ePub from Sony? See post #172 in this thread.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #179
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you read about getting The Chinese Maze Murders for only $5.20 in ePub from Sony? See post #172 in this thread.
Yeah, I did, thanks .. not too sure about buying from Sony, though.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, I did, thanks .. not too sure about buying from Sony, though.
I bought it today from Sony. Just have to strip the DRM, fix it to be how I want it and away I go.

You won't find it any cheaper.