Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Do authors get paid?

I own the Sony Reader, and am about to purchase my first eBook.

The problem is, it is an author that I really like and always purchase her books in hard cover. I know contract is different and some authors (new never published) authors will take a flat fee and 100% of revenue will go to the publishing house. But with more experienced authors they tend to get better deals on hard cover books.

That being said, I've read that Apple iTunes pays a fee for the rights to the music from the publisher and that individual artist aren't getting a fair share for their sold 'tracks'.

Has anyone read anything or heard anything if purchased eBooks are being credited to the authors are just to the publishing house?
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I believe that, generally speaking, authors get more per unit for e-books than they do for p-books. In any case, they do get paid for e-books just as they would for paper ones, and if the book is in hardback, the e-price is going to be fairly comparable to that price, so your author will get paid as she normally would, I expect.

If you're really concerned, you could always send her some money directly -- the patron model pre-dates the publishing-house model, by many hundreds of years.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
While record deals are often a lot like film deals, where "a percentage of the profits" can be subject to creative accounting, book contracts tend to be much more precise. They're usually stated as $x.xx per copy sold.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Cool, thanks guys.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote