Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Flight and the Kindle DX

Well, I heard stories about the Kindle's screens having horizontal and/or vertical streaks across the screen after flights; these owners claim that their Kindles were with them so they couldn't have been any impact damage on them. I remembered reading one where an owner was reading his Kindle during flight and horizontal/vertical streaks started appearing when he turn/refreshes pages until a point that reading is not possible anymore; sorry, tried googling for that article but failed.

Anyone here is a frequent air traveller and reads during flight. Does such problems happen to your screen?
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
I don't have a DX, but I travel extensively by air with my K2 (which is why I bought it, so I could quit carrying a bag full of paperbacks with me). I have never seen any kind of effect on the screen during or after flying on my device.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a classic case of post hoc ergo propter hoc to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I read on my Kindle all the time in flight, and I have never had a single problem. Sounds like a soon to be urban legend.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
We've flown with two K2's and had no problems, either.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Acextreme
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like a classic case of post hoc ergo propter hoc to me.
Hmmm, since no one here encountered such issue, then I guess I shouldn't worry about it. After all, those that encountered such problems would report them all over and hence the problem might appear bigger than it actually is. Furthermore, like HarryT said, we can't point a definite finger on the cause.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Even if true in a few cases, I bet there was some torque to the device that caused stress on the substrate.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I fly a lot and carry both a Kindle (1) and a Sony PRS 505. I've never had a problem with my readers in flight or afterward, either.

I do remember the post you mentioned -- it was a K2 which got errors and they were tracked down to bad solders (or bubbles in the solder) which lost contact at low air pressure. As I remember the posting, Amazon replaced the defective unit.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There was a rumor way back when K1's came out that Xrays zapped the screens. Turned out to be a few defective units that Amazon had to replace, with no actual cause/effect relationship.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I have a Sony 505 with around 200K air miles and no problem at all.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
My 505 and 700 never had an issue. The K2 is supposed to be here tomorrow. It's coming by plane too.

I'd chalk this up to rumors and such. I've also yet to be told to turn it off during takeoff and landing =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
*snicker* oh yeah they all had to fly at least once didn't they?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I took my K2 on a few flights (5), and had no problems. So far I've only been on 1 flight with my DX and it hasn't had any defects yet.

Yeah I wonder what effect xrays have on the devices? Don't they have to pass some xray test before they get the EEC stamp of approval for electronic devices?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #14
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
My 505 and 700 never had an issue. The K2 is supposed to be here tomorrow. It's coming by plane too.

I'd chalk this up to rumors and such. I've also yet to be told to turn it off during takeoff and landing =)
Where do you hide on the plane? They always ask me to switch off, course I usually sit on the aisle. If I'm where the FA can't see me I switch on as soon as we roll onto the runway, since at that time the FAs can't get up either.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
Acextreme
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
*snicker* oh yeah they all had to fly at least once didn't they?
Yeah...indeed...