Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
How not to capitalize titles from meta data?

Is there a way to turn off capitalizing of book titles for downloaded meta data? It's not appropriate in German or French, and I find myself going into the title field every time to undo the auto-capitalization. Surely there's a way to turn this off?

On a case by case basis would be best (it's useful in English), but I'lll turn it off completely if I have to (and that is an option).

Many thanks in advance.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not as far as I know. If you let the metadata update the title field you are at the mercy of the metadata supplier as far as case is concerned.

Do you even need the downloaded metadata to update the title field? If not you can simply disable that update.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I find myself going into the title field every time to undo the auto-capitalization. Surely there's a way to turn this off?
Not as far as I know. If you let the metadata update the title field you are at the mercy of the metadata supplier as far as case is concerned.

Do you even need the downloaded metadata to update the title field? If not you can simply disable that update.
So itimpi, you're saying that calibre does not auto-capitalize the title field when downloading metadata you just get whatever the metadata source supplies. I never have the metadata download overwrite my title so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I used to get lower case metadata often and never do now, so calibre might capitalize the titles in newer versions. I like it this way but some mightn't.

The change case option (right click menu) works from both the metadata and the gui and is easier than retyping manually.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
But it doesn't really work with German, e.g., where only nouns are capitalized. Sure, I can use lower-case for the whole title, but I'll still need to change back the remaining words. I'd rather the meta data were correct (if it is), and Calibre left it alone.

Can anybody confirm that this is, in fact, not Calibre's doing but that the meta data comes in that way, i.e. improperly capitalized in the first place?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post

Can anybody confirm that this is, in fact, not Calibre's doing but that the meta data comes in that way, i.e. improperly capitalized in the first place?
I'm always fighting with Calibre because it does NOT capitalize.
Smile, I'm Dutch and the first thing I see when I read German is ALL those capitals. We only capitalize the first word in a sentence. But in a book title we can capitalize. The only exceptions are words like 'de' and 'een' (the and a)

But I have to do that by hand, Calibre isn't doing it for me unless I select Change Case -> Title Case. When I download meta data from an external source I'm dependant on that source.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
jbienko1
jbienko1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
But I have to do that by hand, Calibre isn't doing it for me unless I select Change Case -> Title Case. When I download meta data from an external source I'm dependant on that source.
Unfortunately does not true. Calibre automatically set Title Case in 'title' field during metadata update regardless of source data.
I'm sure of that, as I'm in process of writing my own plugin for metadata download from polish source. The title downloaded from source is capitalized (meaning - only first word of title starts with capital letter). I do not change the case of title. And after metadata update the case is changed to title case.

e.g.:
Gra o tron (title from source)
Gra O Tron (after metadata update)

And this is generally an error.
jbienko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbienko1 View Post
Unfortunately does not true. Calibre automatically set Title Case in 'title' field during metadata update regardless of source data.
I'm sure of that, as I'm in process of writing my own plugin for metadata download from polish source.
I just tested it again. Calibre does NOT set title case.

I used the title:

Het Leven, Het Heelal en De Rest

The source it uses lower case for en and it stays like that.

The lower case for en is correct. The upper case for De is incorrect. It shows up in Calibre exactly as it was in the source as can be seen from the plugin that grabs the meta data

Last edited by Ortep; 08-29-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
jbienko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I just tested it again. Calibre does NOT set title case.

I used the title:

Het Leven, Het Heelal en De Rest

The source it uses lower case for en and it stays like that.

The lower case for en is correct. The upper case for De is incorrect. It shows up in Calibre exactly as it was in the source as can be seen from the plugin that grabs the meta data
So, please, test again - for example searching for:
"Gra o tron"
In goodreads.com you have:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6184496-gra-o-tron
So only first word is capitalized. Rest is lowercase. It is ok for polish language.

After import metadata to calibre you have:
Gra O Tron
which looks as oddly in Polish "A song Of ice And fire" in English.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
marcinb
marcinb began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook, Pocketbook IQ 701 also Sony TH-55
To remove auto capitalization comment out two lines in file base.py
Code:
--- 373,374 in version 0.16
        if mi.title:
            mi.title = fixcase(mi.title) 
---
Don't forget to remove base.pyc and base.pyo
marcinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Title case is "intelligently" corrected. This works well for english titles, not so well for others. If you are writing a plugin for another language, you can disable this by simply not calling the clean_downloaded_metadata method or implemnting your own logic for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
jbienko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
[...] you can disable this by simply not calling the clean_downloaded_metadata method or implemnting your own logic for it.
This is EXACTLY what I need. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Massreader
Enthusiast
Massreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
@kovidgoyal:
I do not have any idea concerning programming.

You say "Title case is "intelligently" corrected."
Does this mean Calibre DOES set title case?

If so, I still do not understand why there is no option in the Calibre GUI to leave the title as it comes from the metadata provider.
Massreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massreader View Post
@kovidgoyal:
I do not have any idea concerning programming.

You say "Title case is "intelligently" corrected."
Does this mean Calibre DOES set title case?

If so, I still do not understand why there is no option in the Calibre GUI to leave the title as it comes from the metadata provider.
What he is saying is the particular Metadata Source plugin contains the case control code.
Your example: Goodreads would affect all languages if the author disabled the feature.
I turned OFF Title and Author lon ago as I was tired of the source correcting my correct entry (I had the dead tree copy in my hands).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
milatext
milatext began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, android
@kovidgoyal:

I realy love your work and your plugin for amazone metadata too. Thank you very much for all your work!

But the "intelligent correction" makes me crazy. I have changed the source to german amazone, which provides correctly capitalized title datas for german books. But with your plugin almost all capitalizations get incorrect and I had to correct them manualy for hours and hours. It would be realy very helpfull, if autocorrection could be set off bei a simple button or so in your amazone plugin gui as I am not a programmer and can not write my own plugin.

Thank you in advance.
milatext is offline   Reply With Quote