Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Annoying Amazon advertising

For the 2nd time in a few months, Amazon have sent me an e-mail message telling me all about how wonderful the Kindle is.... to my e-mail address in the UK.

You'd think that they'd be a little smarter about who they did their mailshots to, wouldn't you? It is a little irksome being told about products that I can't actually buy .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Aaaaah! But they are clever enough to know that if one wants something, one gets... by whatever means!

Would you be inclined to think they are prepared for a UK release?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I don't think so. I think it's just a mail-shot sent to customers of the Amazon-US site, where I occasionally buy things that Amazon-UK don't sell, and they're not very smart about filtering out non-US email addresses.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I don't think so. I think it's just a mail-shot sent to customers of the Amazon-US site, where I occasionally buy things that Amazon-UK don't sell, and they're not very smart about filtering out non-US email addresses.
Could a Kindle function with all its functions in the UK? Or was it devised only for several communication entities in the US?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Could a Kindle function with all its functions in the UK? Or was it devised only for several communication entities in the US?
The CDMA "Whispernet" wireless comms system wouldn't work in the UK - we have exclusively GSM cellphone networks here.
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Could be product placement with anticipation of a Euro-launch. Ya never know..

Nah. Run of the mill incompetence is a much better answer.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i got one of those a few months ago and after much speculation tried to order just to see if it would work. it didn't : i got an error message telling me the kindle was not available in my area. they're just a bit incompetent.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Aaaah, it's likely not even "incompetence" so much as it's computers doing what they're told to do: grab a bunch of a email addresses from a database and mail out a set advertisement. If there happens to be a .uk address in it, well, it's not like they paid any more for it. Yeah, it's annoying, I agree. Yeah, they probably should clean up (or add) culling, but all that probably cost more to them (even time) than just letting them go.

And one could argue that if they do get enough demand in uncovered areas, they'd seriously look at another version of it. Who knows.

Click. Delete.

m
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Gee, Harry, I am amazed that you would not consider moving permanently to the U.S. so you could have a Kindle.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Aaaah, it's likely not even "incompetence" so much as it's computers doing what they're told to do: grab a bunch of a email addresses from a database and mail out a set advertisement. If there happens to be a .uk address in it, well, it's not like they paid any more for it.
Amazon is usually better than that.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote