Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Updating Non Amazon Apps

One of my sideloaded apps, Hanging with friends, is telling me there is an update available.

When I go to open the game I get a window that says there is an update and if I want to update to click OK. I click OK and it says no update is available from Amazon. I realize this is because I sideloaded the app and did not get it from Amazon. I've already downloaded a newer version of the app.

My question is, do I just install the new updated version over the old one or do I have to uninstall the old one first.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Good question since many of us have sideloaded but have no way to keep track of updates on those side apps
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
One of my sideloaded apps, Hanging with friends, is telling me there is an update available.

When I go to open the game I get a window that says there is an update and if I want to update to click OK. I click OK and it says no update is available from Amazon. I realize this is because I sideloaded the app and did not get it from Amazon. I've already downloaded a newer version of the app.

My question is, do I just install the new updated version over the old one or do I have to uninstall the old one first.

Carol
Ignore it. Amazon just checks their version with your version. It doesn't mean there is new version just that it doesn't match Amazon's version.

You can't install different signed versions over each other. So always go back to the source to update or uninstall the one version first then install the other from another source.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-22-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Ignore it. Amazon just checks their version with your version. It doesn't mean there is new version just that it doesn't match Amazon's version.

You can't install different signed versions over each other. So always go back to the source to update or uninstall the one version first then install the other from another source.
Thanks. This is definitely an update needed. I can't even get into the app. It gives me a screen if I want to update to hit ok. I can't get out of the 'ok' screen.

I sideloaded the app from a droid phone and the original app was taken from the Android Market. I downloaded an updated version from 1mobile. That means they would both be from Android's Market correct. Probably safest to just uninstall and then reinstall it.

Carol
Old 12-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. This is definitely an update needed. I can't even get into the app. It gives me a screen if I want to update to hit ok. I can't get out of the 'ok' screen.

I sideloaded the app from a droid phone and the original app was taken from the Android Market. I downloaded an updated version from 1mobile. That means they would both be from Android's Market correct. Probably safest to just uninstall and then reinstall it.

Carol
No one is from 1Mobile and the other from the Market. So I would uninstall and install the new one.
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No one is from 1Mobile and the other from the Market. So I would uninstall and install the new one.
Thanks. Uninstalled it and then installed the new version.

Carol
Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

How do we know which apps are from where? I havent been keeping track and now wonder how I will update some of the sideloaded ones.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
How do we know which apps are from where? I havent been keeping track and now wonder how I will update some of the sideloaded ones.
Maybe write it down or keep a spread sheet? I only use 3 places myself. So I know it's one or the other.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
When I save the downloaded file, I put it in a folder with the name of the app, version and the site in shortened form. I also make a .doc file with that info in full.

Carol
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
gilly78201
gilly78201 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I should keep track of where which app is from too. thanks for the tip
gilly78201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
salsaguy
Addict

Luckily some apps show info on version in the about section of the menu. Some also have an update check or link to the rev's site as well if u are lucky.