Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Worst (& Best) book series finales

Carrying forward with my "Worst (& Best)" theme.

We have all been there. Anxiously reading thru a series.... 5 to go... 4 to go... 3 to go... 2 to go, and why is the author having this charactor start doing this?... 1 to go and, NO!!!! Why did s/he do that!?

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
The Twilight Series, from what I've heard those who loved/liked book 1 ended up dissapointed or hating book 4.

Personally, I hated book 1 and stopped reading from there.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I started hating Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series when she started going all 'literary' and writing in the present tense. Oh, and when she brought back a dead person.

Still enjoying Nora Robert's J.D. Robb series and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series, even umpteen volumes in...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I never liked the very ending of The Dark Tower, by Stephen King. You could see it coming a mile off, picking such a near-clichéd idea for finale, and, for me, it felt like he caved to the openness of his created universe (that is, that he consciously left room to always create a synecdoche of the series in new books).

(It should be noted in my criticisms, that I say "felt like" with the implicit notation of misjudgement on my part - I liked this series very much, and happily recommend it to people. I respect the abilities of this author such that what I "feel" about his motivations and decisions has as much relevance or applicability to his brilliant storytelling as a grain of dust to a hurricane. I'm always conscious of the vast distance between his writing ability and my own. The man can write!).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I never liked the very ending of The Dark Tower, by Stephen King. You could see it coming a mile off, picking such a near-clichéd idea for finale, and, for me, it felt like he caved to the openness of his created universe (that is, that he consciously left room to always create a synecdoche of the series in new books).
synecdoche |siˈnekdəkē|
noun
a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in Cleveland won by six runs (meaning “

that still does not make sense to me ... I think I should get me a "one-complicated-word-a-day" calendar too

I haven't really ditched a series because of a "finale", a lot of them just lost their appeal. I either got tired of reading the inner monolgues of a female protagonist (written by a man, forgot the name of the author, as well as the series), or the books were just boring "remakes" of the previous ones with some minor changes.
I did not like the way the Alex Cross series from James Patterson turned out, I also got bored by the descriptions of his love for his family and how superior his kids were in everything they did.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
synecdoche |siˈnekdəkē|
noun
a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in Cleveland won by six runs (meaning “

that still does not make sense to me ... I think I should get me a "one-complicated-word-a-day" calendar too
Think of it as "part representing the whole", and think of new, non-Dark Tower stories/novels by Stephen King "re-presenting" the big story happening in the series. If it helps (and it does me), think of Charlie Kaufman, (writer: Being John Malkovich) writing and directing a movie in which "a theater director struggles with his work, and the women in his life, as he attempts to create a life-size replica of New York inside a warehouse as part of his new play". Okay, this doesn't help at all, but I'm really looking forward to that movie.

Quote:
I haven't really ditched a series because of a "finale", a lot of them just lost their appeal.
I'll note that, as mentioned, "I liked this series very much, and happily recommend it to people". Similar to the duology, The Sparrow and Children of God, my somewhat dissatisfaction with aspects of them do not preclude me from recommending them or enjoying them. The finale isn't the only pleasure to be drawn from a book or series, and, assuming that, for instance, everyone who read Stephen King's Dark Tower series was as disappointed as me in the finale (a very bad assumption to make - I have never had a single fellow reader agree with me), I don't think that it would or should make anyone give up on them. There's way too much pleasure to be had on the journey (Hell, I'd reread them just for the bits containing Oy. ).

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 11-17-2008 at 04:41 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Still enjoying Nora Robert's J.D. Robb series ...
You´re talking about the "In death"-Series, right?
I´ve just finished the second one and will certainly go for number three, four, five .... I think they´re nice, suspenseful und quite easy reads - perfect entertainment even for someone whose mother tongue isn´t English

I also like Japanese anime-series such as Death Note or X by Clamp. Unfortunately you cannot get them as ebooks.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
synecdoche |siˈnekdəkē|
noun

I looked up synecdoche as well. Even bookmarked it as an intriguing word. I'm guessing Monty stumped a few of us with that one.

-MJ
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For worst Endings, I'll like to nominate the Last book in David Eddings Latest Series.

The Dreamers Series Comprising off

1) The Elder Gods
2) The Treasured One
3) Crystal Gorge
4) The Younger Gods

While the quality of the Series itself was not that great, and a disappointment to fans, The Ending itself was probably the most disappointing.

Spoiler:
He basicly used the Du ex Machina of going back in Time and fixing everything, so that whole bloody thing never happened !!!

What was the Point of the whole story then?
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Peter Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. Worst. Ending. Ever.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Peter Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. Worst. Ending. Ever.
Very bad indeed.

Also on my list of bad endings :
Patrick Tilley - Amtrak Wars 6 - Earth Thunder
I loved the series but the last book really took all the fun away.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
The best was the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Ever.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Worst: HHGTG 5 (whatever it was called).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
You´re talking about the "In death"-Series, right?
I´ve just finished the second one and will certainly go for number three, four, five .... I think they´re nice, suspenseful und quite easy reads - perfect entertainment even for someone whose mother tongue isn´t English
I've read 3 or 4 of the In Death series. Pretty good overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
mjh215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Worst: HHGTG 5 (whatever it was called).
Mostly Harmless... It was the weakest out of the series but I wouldn't consider it horrible. I think the problem was DNA stopped wanting to write the series after book one. Each book afterwards he was coerced into.

One of my favorite quotes from DNA, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

-MJ