Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So I do not understand this review...

Can someone help me out here? This review was left on my book, and I am not sure what he is saying. He gave it five stars, which is great, but would like to understand it.

Quote:
Well written. I enjoyed the fact that it did not have such a nihilist worldview we see in so many of today's books such as those written by Scalzi. I cannot wait to read more books set in this universe.
The part I put in italics I do not really know what he means. Any ideas?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You sure he was talking about your book?

I looked at a couple of his other reviews (it's obviously a him), and I think he probably likes the fact that you retain the importance of a real military power even in the face of magical powers. You don't discard everything else as unimportant/pointless/useless - which tends to be what happens in many books that include magic.

ETA: I'm not familiar with Scalzi and how his work may relate to this comment.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
scalzi
self important person in sf who writes stupid books like bad humor or SNL or MAD or shock
reverses logic to astound foolish people who think it smart
Nietzsche crap

not scalzi means nice review

Last edited by tango7; 01-06-2013 at 11:21 PM.
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I would suggest that he is saying that you have a positive world view, which has to be a good thing .

Scalzi has a world view that could be described as somewhat flippant, shall we say. For example, the first chapter of The Android's Dream was one extended fart joke.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well, I've certainly received an education about Scalzi.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yeah not sounding like a guy I want to hang out with

Thanks all!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I never heard of that guy and I am glad.
Like a nasty Mike Myers from Austin Powers or worse cause it was supposed to be a children's story "Cat in the Hat." I tossed the one someone got for a grand child. Replaced it with a bunny movie.

Potty humor. The reason I stopped automatic recordings of Jay Leno when some (be careful here bub) nut ran Jay's new toothbrush down in between the nut's butt cheeks.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Don't take someone else's opinion of another author as how you think of them. He has several Hugo award nominations, earned in my opinion. Read some Scalzi and form your own opinion. Most would recommend starting with Old Man's War. He also runs a fairly active personal blog.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
scalzi
self important person in sf who writes stupid books like bad humor or SNL or MAD or shock
reverses logic to astound foolish people who think it smart
Nietzsche crap

not scalzi means nice review
I like Scalzi's books, one of the reasons being his sense of humor. Does that make me foolish?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
There comes a time and usually early when a writer chooses his public persona. Sure it can evolve but it is difficult to pull back all that water that has passed under the bridge already.

It is always easy to get a laugh with a bit of lewdness, except in a church perhaps. Therefore it is an easy trap to fall into when you want some attention or a quick laugh..

My advice would be "Avoid this pitfall" from the very beginning.

Last edited by frahse; 01-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I never heard of that guy and I am glad.
Like a nasty Mike Myers from Austin Powers or worse cause it was supposed to be a children's story "Cat in the Hat." I tossed the one someone got for a grand child. Replaced it with a bunny movie.

Potty humor. The reason I stopped automatic recordings of Jay Leno when some (be careful here bub) nut ran Jay's new toothbrush down in between the nut's butt cheeks.
Reading this, I'm not sure whether I should just scratch my head or call 911 and tell them you've had a stroke.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Reading this, I'm not sure whether I should just scratch my head or call 911 and tell them you've had a stroke.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
So I have expressed
1) a dislike for Scalzi's 1 chapter extended fart joke, etc.
2) a dislike for Mike Myers (character) playing the Cat in the Hat and showing his butt crack in a children's movie.
3 a dislike for some actor on Jay Leno sticking Leno's toothbrush down what appeared to be the actor's butt crack while alone in the bathroom,

and you infer that I might have had a stroke, or that you just can't understand me.

Well I won't infer anything about you other than I have an emphatic dislike for your tastes in humor.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote