Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Question Buying the Glo in Canada: Future shop vs. Chapters/Indigo

What are your opinions on this? Chapters or Future shop? (In-store, not online buys)
I find the customer service at my local Chapters quite good, better than future shop or best buy....BUT I haven't had to return or exchange anything.

so....which have people had better luck with on returns/exchanges?

It SEEMS that future shop has a better policy in writing
Future shop (30 days no questions asked with original packing etc)
vs.
Chapters (14 days in-store unopened packaging)

But when I read about people taking things back to Chapters, they seem to have better success than the written policy would indicate. And I have heard of people complaining about Future shop not honouring their written policy.

So, help me decide!

Last edited by Uschiekid; 10-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Droid
Droid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
When I bought mine, the girl said that I can return it within 14 days if there is a problem. She didn't say it had to be in an unopened package. She did, however, tell me that after the 2 weeks, I need to contact Kobo with any problems (1 year warranty with Kobo).
Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
eroe
eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I prefer Best Buy/Future shop because you have more days to use the device and a better chance before deciding to keep the device or not.
eroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
On-line sales from Chapters-Indigo come with a 30 day return policy and they can be returned at any of the related B&M stores.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm so indecisive. Which is silly, cause I'm usually happy with what I end up buying...

@Taming: I'm trying to avoid buying online for the simple reason that I'm trying to get it before I go on a trip and I don't want to risk backlog/not getting it in time, otherwise, it seems simple to just order it of course.

Anyone have a exchange/return problem that couldn't be solved at either place?

I guess I want no hassle if there's some small problem with it (ie bright pixels that have been mentioned in several threads), that kobo might suddenly decide isn't a flaw or something silly like that.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I would go with BB or FS...try it out and return it if you dont like it.

I bought my Vox at BB last year for that very reason, and even got a price adjustment when they dropped the price by $20!

The biggest advantage to buying at Chapters is that they MAY exchange it for you if you have a warranty issue (rather than shipping it out east and waiting for kobo to fix or replace it). But that tends to be up to the store manager. Also, I don't know what sort of legal relationship Kobo has with Chapters since their sale, so maybe you can't even do that anymore? I'd be curious to know if anyone knows the definitive answer to that question!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
pokee--At my local Chapters the manager told me that now that Rakuten owned kobo, they would only exchange them within two weeks if bought in the store or 30 days if bought on line. I don;t know that this is definitive enough, but I called Chapters-Indigo support and was told the same thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid View Post
When I bought mine, the girl said that I can return it within 14 days if there is a problem. She didn't say it had to be in an unopened package. She did, however, tell me that after the 2 weeks, I need to contact Kobo with any problems (1 year warranty with Kobo).
I was told the same thing and while this has always been their policy, I'm also doubting that they would show the leniency they did before Kobo was sold
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Well, I ended up emailing future shop to see if they lumped ereaders in with some of their other electronics which only have a 14 days return policy. Seems that is indeed the case, this was their reply:
Quote:
Dear ____________,

Thank you for contacting Future Shop with regard to our return policy.

The Kobo Glo E-Reader would qualify as a wireless device and has a return timeframe of 14 days.

To read more about our return/exchange policies, you may find our return policy on our website if you visit this link;

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/onl...=HC8136#return

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again by replying to this email or calling us at 1-800-663-2275.

Thank you for contacting Future Shop, we value your business and look forward to serving you again.
Anyone know for a fact that it IS 30 days on Kobo Glo (ie has a receipt that says decisively or happens to work there )?

I do have trouble believing customer service at any place, but I was hoping they'd just confirm the 30 days for me.

Oh, and I totally love that I email the future shop specific email address and they refer to future shop in their email, but they give me a link to the best buy website....too funny.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroe View Post
I prefer Best Buy/Future shop because you have more days to use the device and a better chance before deciding to keep the device or not.
Although I may be wrong, But I think future shop and bestbuy are also 14 days on electronics.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I asked that very question when I bought my Vox one year ago. I was told ereaders had a 30 day policy, because they are not considered tablet computers.

First of all, that link was wrong...it showed online policies. The in store policy does not mention "all electronics" have a 14 day policy...it names specifics items...and ereaders iis NOT on the list. The rep was WRONG. The return policy is still 30 days...even for Kobos new tablet ereader...

Last edited by pokee; 10-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I asked that very question when I bought my Vox one year ago. I was told ereaders had a 30 day policy, because they are not considered tablet computers.

First of all, that link was wrong...it showed online policies. The in store policy does not mention "all electronics" have a 14 day policy...it names specifics items...and ereaders iis NOT on the list. The rep was WRONG. The return policy is still 30 days...even for Kobos new tablet ereader...
that's what i thought, but i figured they might be sneaky.

I HATE it when I can't get a straight answer about something so simple. That's been my experience at big box stores...ask 10 different people get 12 different answers.

Guess I might just drop in the store and get ahold of someone with some authority. And see what they have to say about their email customer service reps.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
The reality is you are going to do better speaking one on one to a manager in a professional manner. If you are planning on going on a trip that is going to take you over the 14 day return period and worried it might need returning just explain your concerns to the store manager and ask if an extended return policy is an issue.

Chapters seems to have better customer service and better managers in my experience. A store manager will normally quite happily make an exception in advance. Just get them to write the new return date on your reciept.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
I also received the new policy from Chapters in the Eaton Centre - 14 days if unopened. Then they stapled the Kobo contact info onto the receipts (i bought 2 Glo's).
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
The reality is you are going to do better speaking one on one to a manager in a professional manner. If you are planning on going on a trip that is going to take you over the 14 day return period and worried it might need returning just explain your concerns to the store manager and ask if an extended return policy is an issue.
Thanks judyz!!! That was great advice. I ended up trying that approach at Future Shop actually, went to the returns/exchange desk, where they DID say 14 days, but when I told my situation and she was happy to add the extra time on....even a few extra days after I get back without my asking!

Really didn't realise stores could be so flexible. I'm usually a take-it-as-it-comes kinda person.