Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #23596
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A long time ago, when the Earth was green
There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
They'd run around free while the Earth was being born
And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4bc9UwZsYs )

... and Happy Birthday, Charles Darwin!

Good morning, all. In America we used to celebrate Abe Lincoln's birthday today, but sadly he's been moved, and made to share with Georgie W. Well, happy birthday to all of you folks! I've bought myself some Twinings 'English Breakfast' tea to try out. I haven't had it in years, and decided (since it was on sale) to give it another go. It's really not too bad as a loose-leaf tea... Some grilled Cajun chicken breasts and broccoli beside it, and I'm off to a good start today!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #23597
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Coffee in my cup.

Iri - nice that BF is reading. I remember when it was impossible to read in bed when the other person didn't read. Then as soon as he became a reader it was totally different; he didn't want to turn the light out until he read "just a few more pages".
Very recognizable One night he said to me: "just a couple of pages" because he'd almost finished a chapter. And then he said: "one more chapter, I want to know what happens next!" He ended up reading until well past midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Good job! His love of reading will grow more with time, trust me. It took me years to get my husband to read, now he stays up late reading every night!

Cranberry juice in my glass!
I hope so! He used to read a lot when he was younger, so it's sort of a rediscovered passion. Of course, if he starts reading as much as I do we'll have to have even more bookcases in our new house

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is, of course, where the front-lit ereaders really come in handy.

Coke Zero #3 in my cup. I'm celebrating a successful telephone interview. Now I have to do as well or better in the face-to-face interview.
Good luck!

Cappuccino in my cup. Getting ready for what will hopefully be a productive day (starting to write a new research report!)
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #23598
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My usual late start on the day, with a mug of tea.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #23599
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Good morning cromag.

Coffee in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #23600
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
That's one of my favorite cute songs, Stitchy! [ Goes away humming it .... ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #23601
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her too
I love her

She gives me everything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSTep55AKw )

Good morning, everyone! Happy Valentine's Day! Today's the day when all us guys receive chocolates from our female friends and lovers. I found a big box of Meiji Dark Chocolate Squares sitting on my keyboard when I got up this morning. Yippee! And to make today even more special, it's our Wedding Anniversary! 18 years ago today we stood at the counter in the City Hall and each used our hanko to stamp our marriage license! Then we went to Baskin&Robbins for ice cream sundaes! (I got up in the middle of the night and put the dozen roses I hid away yesterday on my wife's computer...) We'll do a bit better today though; it's off to Kobe for an all-you-can-eat Dim Sum restaurant!

But first, breakfast. That means a mug of East India "Royal Breakfast" tea, some miso soup, and rice with a few slices of prosciutto. Good, but I'm saving room for the Dim Sum!

Stitchawl
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #23602
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Good morning, everyone! Happy Valentine's Day!
Stitchawl
Good morning to you, Stitchawl! And thanks very much for the reminder! I have a box of chocolates for my wife stashed out of sight ... and would almost certainly have forgotten them! (it's happened before!)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #23603
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Good morning to you, Stitchawl! And thanks very much for the reminder! I have a box of chocolates for my wife stashed out of sight ... and would almost certainly have forgotten them! (it's happened before!)
That's the exact reason I chose Valentine's Day to get married. Every store window I pass reminds me to pick up an anniversary present! I've been married too many times before and paid the price for NOT remembering anniversaries!

Stitchawl
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #23604
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagmoj View Post
Diet Pepsi
welcome to the thread and the forum!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #23605
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
@ Iri: now you can both stay up late. Congrats on not having to say "1 more minute, just 1 more minute..."

@ Paul: good luck

@ Stitchawl: Isn't Meiji Dark Chocolate the best

It surely seems like all I drink these days is Red Bull. Really should fix that. Maybe I'll have something fancy tomorrow when I visit the city.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #23606
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Coffee and biscotti. yum.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #23607
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
...and each used our hanko to stamp our marriage license!
I've got one of those, with a monkey carved on top (I was born in the year of the monkey). Never considered using it to stamp our marriage licence, though I like the idea. What does yours actually say?

Regarding Valentine's Day, my wife and I do our version of Bah! Humbug! for this, I'm afraid, and completely ignore it. Not much romance in our souls, but then we've always been that way, it's not a recent thing.

Rooibos in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #23608
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
That's the exact reason I chose Valentine's Day to get married. Every store window I pass reminds me to pick up an anniversary present! I've been married too many times before and paid the price for NOT remembering anniversaries!

Stitchawl
At least you have a valid reason to celebrate valentine's day. I hate it. It's so commercial. Buying presents for your partner on cue, because you 'have to'. Ugh. I'll buy presents for my BF when I feel like it, thank you very much. And I show him how much I love him every day. He doesn't need a corny and expensive present to know that.

*ranting mode off*

Goodmorning all! Cappuccino in my cup. Last day at the office. Yesterday was not so productive. Getting into a new subject is so hard, and takes so much time ... Hopefully today will be better.

Although I'm already thinking a lot about next week. I have to bake 5 cakes and about 50 cupcakes and some cookies for a baby shower. I keep thinking about the decorations I will use and how I will get everything done in 2 days (not that easy with only one oven!).
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #23609
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've got one of those, with a monkey carved on top (I was born in the year of the monkey). Never considered using it to stamp our marriage licence, though I like the idea. What does yours actually say?
A hanko is almost a necessity in Japan, and absolute necessity for Japanese, and almost as much for a foreigner living here for any length of time. Most things require a stamp rather than a signature. Each one is engraved with a person's name, usually in ancient Chinese characters. There are usually TWO hanko that a person uses; a 'daily' one for signing receipts, time cards, registered mail, minor contracts, etc., etc., and these can be bought at most stationary stores, mass produced. But everyone also has a 'registered' hanko that is hand-carved, making it absolutely unique. These are registered with the City Hall, and are used for major contracts such as buying a car, a house, insurance, etc. They are as binding as a signature so they are usually kept locked up. If I have YOUR registered hanko and I use it to buy a car, YOU are legally responsible for paying the bill!

As a foreigner, my registered hanko must be carved using the 'katakana' characters, the ones used for 'borrowed words' such as computer, elevator, broccoli, (words that didn't exist in Japan 500 years ago.) My wife's hanko uses the Chinese characters. Interesting to note that a Chinese ex-pat living in Japan can NOT use Chinese characters for their hanko, even though that is how their name is normally written! Because they are 'foreigners,' they have to have hanko with katakana characters! Mine is a little one just like this guy's. However, I have carved several of them in the square form in stone, using both Chinese characters and katakana just for fun. But waaay to heavy to carry around every day!

Stitchawl
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #23610
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
That's very interesting, thanks. Mine is the square type, with my surname, and was carved for me in Hong Kong, just for fun and as a momento. You are dead right about it being too heavy to carry around for daily use - I'd have no pocket lining left before long.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?