Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #466
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
This might be a nitpick, but this is probably not a bug, as a BOM is apt to create more problems than it solves in my experience.
Yeah, I just heard about this odd behavior over in a Calibre thread. My main experience is on the Web, where a UTF-8 file is expected to be a UTF-8 file, BOM and everything. Deliberately breaking true UTF-8 files in this way is counterintuitive at best...but I also understand that if some of the big reading software requires broken files, that's what you need to give 'em.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #467
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Yeah, I just heard about this odd behavior over in a Calibre thread. My main experience is on the Web, where a UTF-8 file is expected to be a UTF-8 file, BOM and everything. Deliberately breaking true UTF-8 files in this way is counterintuitive at best...but I also understand that if some of the big reading software requires broken files, that's what you need to give 'em.
Files without a BOM are not broken. Following the Unicode standard is not odd behaviour. This is not an opinion of mine, rather a simple fact straight from the standard. But, if the writers of the Unicode standard can't convince you that not using a BOM is perfectly valid and even recommended, I might as well give up
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #468
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Eh, maybe I'm just old-fashioned. It just seems to me that including a BOM is a more reliable way to determine a file's encoding than scanning the file and hoping there are no surprises in store, and it seems weird to me that there would be readers out there which actually break when encountering such a declaration.

But, since I'm apparently wrong in that thinking...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #469
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Question Remove HTML comments?

Could it be possible to add an option to remove HTML comments?

I'm currently editing some books that have a lot of comments. I've removed some of them with Sigil but it'd be great if I could select several books at once and remove the comments with this PI.

Many thanks !
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #470
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
Could it be possible to add an option to remove HTML comments?
What makes the html comments different than the html book?

If these are comments put in by calibre then they are referred to as book jackets and can be removed by this plugin already.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #471
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What makes the html comments different than the html book?

If these are comments put in by calibre then they are referred to as book jackets and can be removed by this plugin already.
They are not put by calibre. These comments are used as a sort of template guide and some of them are quite long. Not that they get in the way when reading the books but I rather like my epubs clean of cruft
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #472
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
What setting to use with the plugin if I just want to remove all my personal metadata such as page numbers but not any of the original metadata and also compress the file size as much as possible (Ebups tend to grow) but of course not compromise quality (of images, perhaps).
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #473
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
What setting to use with the plugin if I just want to remove all my personal metadata such as page numbers but not any of the original metadata and also compress the file size as much as possible (Ebups tend to grow) but of course not compromise quality (of images, perhaps).
Personal metadata? As in from extra columns in Calibre?
That should only appear in the Jacket +IF+ you customized the jacket HTML template
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #474
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
You would use the Remove non dc: metadata elements to remove page count, readability, and other custom column information. But when you use any of calibre's export functions such as Save to disk, Send to device, email or the content server all of the metadata you seek gone will be written back into the book.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #475
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
I would like to know if anyone can verify this weirdness, or explain it to me in Noddy language.

A long time ago (not sure HOW long, at least 18 months) I modified the Calibre template and stylesheet. Specifically, I swopped publisher with tags in the template, and had no "label"/"pubdata" TD. I modified some colours and font sizes in the stylesheet.

All has gone fine until recently, when I discovered that inserting a jacket using Modify epub (as I always have done) resulted in my Android reader (Mantano on a Nexus 7), Firefox (plugin) and Adobe Digital Editions all reading the jacket data table as left-aligned, all black, all serif - ie disregarding everything but the retrieved data (title, author etc.). The jacket is read as one would expect by the Calibre epub viewer.

I assumed (naturally, since my knowledge of html is pretty basic) that I am an idiot - although I had not touched the template and/or stylesheet since the long-ago modifications - and that I had done something wrong myself. Many uninstalls and reinstalls of Calibre (trying both 64 abd 32-bit) and Modify epub later, I have found this:

The same jacket, using the same template/stylesheet, whether the Calibre defaults or my own:
-- is "seen" as expected when it has been inserted with a Calibre conversion
-- is "seen" left-aligned, black etc. when replaced/inserted using Modify plugin
-- this is true with all the readers mentioned above, except the Calibre viewer, which has always read and still reads the jackets as expected

To triple check all this I unchecked ALL options in Modify epub except Add/Replace metadata jacket. I have inserted/replaced a number of jackets using both the plugin or a conversion, and the results are consistently: Calibre conversion fine, Modify epub wrong,as described.

Comments? Thoughts? Advice??

Last edited by Hoods7070; 08-19-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Insertion
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #476
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Hoods7070 - this plugin calls the same calibre code to render the jacket that calibre itself uses. I don't know anything about customising jackets myself (I don't use them) so I have no clue as to what changes you made in order to do that. Putting aside all those third party viewers, what happens when you use the calibre viewer to look at the ePub, using the three different approaches - calibre conversion, Polish books, and Modify ePub?

Without any physical files to compare/test against etc there is very little else I can say. Perhaps there is another user out there of Modify ePub who generates jackets that has something to say about them appearing differently or the same...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #477
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@kiwidude, hoods070,

I stopped inserting jackets about a year ago but I've just done a couple of quick tests...

I think the problem arises partly because of calibre and partly depending on the android reading app.

If you use Modify Epub or Polish to insert the jacket, then the customised jacket css classes are inserted directly in the jacket.xhtml file between <style> tags. Whereas if you insert the jacket via a conversion the customised jacket css is included in the main epub css sheet.

This shouldn't matter at all if the android reading app is supporting epub css fully and correctly. However, this being the real world, isn't what happens. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like Mantano is ignoring the css in <style> tags (Modify Epub, Polish) but is happier when the jacket css is in the main linked stylesheet (conversions). But even then, in my quick test, jacket box-styling works but coloured text still appears as black.

If the CoolReader app is used with the same epubs, the jacket can display the coloured text, but it has its own css rendering quirks. And the Moon+ app has yet a 3rd set of css rendering quirks. I've found trying to find the 'perfect' android reading app to be a bit of a challenge. I also choose Mantano as the least-worst, but it depends on your point-of-view.

So I don't think the problems lie with calibre, but the two different ways of creating jackets have shown up some limitations in the apps.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #478
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks Jackie, wonderfully clear explanation.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #479
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
@kiwidude @jackie_w - thanks for all that - very helpful. You're absolutely right, jackie. I missed the difference in how the code is inserted somehow and now feel a bit stupid for doing so. The colour and font-size changes, incidentally, were largely temporary, to assist with my amateur trial and error methods.

However, I still don't understand this: some months ago, I went through my entire library, using Modify epub exclusively to replace jackets - a blanket approach which replaced ALL my jackets using the modified template/css. The jackets done at that time have the code in the jacket.xhtml file, and read perfectly everywhere. I will have to print out the code and do a side-by-side comparison to see what and where things differ in the jacket.xhtml files.

Thanks again!

@jackie_w The main reason I insert jackets is to make the series info available to Mantano, which will sort on series - presumably that info comes from the jacket?? I haven't had any problems at all with Mantano since they fixed the fairly minor issue of incorrect cover display on the Nexus after me nagging them. : (They have a great responsive attitude in their support team, BTW.) I do very basic reading, with only the very occasional note, bookmark etc.. The other contenders are dreadful.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #480
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
@jackie_w The main reason I insert jackets is to make the series info available to Mantano, which will sort on series - presumably that info comes from the jacket??
I may be wrong but I don't think any reader out there sorts on series info they get from the embedded Jacket. Calibre embeds the series info in the metadata as it is sent to the device. Mantano must use that info.

If I were you though I would use Calibre Companion (CC) found in Google Play for managing my ebooks (wifi require) on the Nexus 7 and Mantano just for reading the books.

Yesterday CC came out with a major upgrade in style and function.

When you view your books in CC you will have access to everything you see in calibre and clicking any book will pop up a Book details page created on the fly that includes everything you see in your Jacket and more. You do multi-level sorts, search the library or simply pull out the drawer and pick based on Author, Title, Series etc...

Tags
modify epub