Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
The fall of the UK

There was much in the UK that was exemplary. But what's left seems to be disapering at a rate faster than light

Britain seeks ban on glass pint-glasses to prevent bar-brawl injuries
One pub patron contemplating violence.

UK bans Peking Duck

What next? A ban on Haggis, just because a few people a year die from the thought of eating it? BAH!
Haggis Could Vanish Due to Climate Change

It does look good, doesn't it? Mmmm.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-04-2010 at 11:44 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Oh, for God's sake!

Time to emigrate I think; I like beer (in proper pint glasses), Peking Duck and haggis.

But not many places make the English type beer that I like; maybe Belgium? But I doubt they have haggis widely available. Why is life so hard?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The first two stories are a tragedy...however, as someone who had to eat haggis on a weekly basis when I worked in a residential school in Scotland, I can't help but feel that the third represents a great advance for humankind and may contribute to the longevity of the species
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Did you see that incredibly fiendish violent look in that pub patron's eyes? I could just feel that pint glass whizzing by my forehead! Whew!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Did you see that incredibly fiendish violent look in that pub patron's eyes? I could just feel that pint glass whizzing by my forehead! Whew!
I thought she was just eyeing it with drunken lust, wondering if she could get to it before the photographer sucked it down.

Never had haggis (the name sounds very cool, the picture not so much and the description reminds me of some Navajo foods I'm not fond of), but couldn't they make up a new oven-type thing in which to cook peking duck? True pua'a kalua (kalua pig- the food stuff of the lu'au), is cooked in an imu, an underground oven, overnight. Most restaurants do some oven or crock-pot type deal instead. Can't something similar happen for peking duck?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I thought she was just eyeing it with drunken lust, wondering if she could get to it before the photographer sucked it down.
Oh no - those cold calculating eyes are plotting the vectors necessary to launch that aerodynamically dangerous beauty!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally, I blame the Welsh.
You just can't trust a group of people who refuse to use vowels.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Haggis Could Vanish Due to Climate Change
Fear not! There will always be Macsweens Vegetarian Haggis (microwave ready in 8 mins) .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But does the aroma fill the house and start your mouth watering?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
SameOldStory
My True Self

Once upon a time it seemed like Britan rulled the world as well as the seas.

Where did it all go wrong?

Beaches too sandy, fish scare the kids

"One disgruntled wife declared that topless sunbathing should be banned because her "holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women"."

"Other British tourists found their holidays were spoiled because "the beach was too sandy" and "no one told us there would be fish in the sea; the children were startled"."

"We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."

"We booked an excursion to a water park but no one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels."

Can there be any hope for the UK?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My favourite from that article:

"I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

It reminds me of when my wife and I were on holiday in Turkey. One of the other British tourists ordered a Turkish kebab. When it arrived, it was served with rice. The lady took one horrified look and said (in that loud, slow voice we Brits use to make up for the fact that we can't be bothered to learn foreign languages), "Chips. Chips; where are the chips?".

She literally couldn't grasp the context of a meal without chips

Makes you proud to be British; not!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It reminds me of when my wife and I were on holiday in Turkey. One of the other British tourists ordered a Turkish kebab. When it arrived, it was served with rice. The lady took one horrified look and said (in that loud, slow voice we Brits use to make up for the fact that we can't be bothered to learn foreign languages), "Chips. Chips; where are the chips?".

She literally couldn't grasp the context of a meal without chips

Makes you proud to be British; not!
Don't feel too bad, most Americans probably would have raised a stink because the menu didn't have a cheeseburger and fries on it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
What's bugging me at the moment are the tooth-grinding radio ads for whiskey, which finish piously, "Please enjoy alcohol responsibly."

How is that supposed to work? Imagine a teenager, about to get ratted, who hears the ad. "Oh,"he mutters to himself, "Perhaps I'll just stay in tonight and have a cup of cocoa and an early night."

It makes me want to get blotto and reel about shouting obscenities.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Portman Group propaganda?
Proves the drinks industry really does have a social conscience (and keeps the govt off their backs).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote