Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I feel like I'm developing eye-strain easily with all this white background and light gray text.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Yeah... basically the only rescue is to stay away from iOS 7's interface as much as possible -- finding rescue inside our favourite apps that have (hopefully) not yet been infected with the "flat plague". It's a positive relief for my eyes whenever I can move away from iOS 7's interface inside one of the apps. iOS 7 is, to me, like a worthless rag, but inside it, gems are hidden -- the apps we actually use. (Unfortunately, some app developers are now trying to imitate the flat fad; and I don't mean Apple's default apps that I don't use because, as ever, they are ludicrously lame; hopefully, not too many 3rd-party app developers will succumb to the flat virus.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I wouldn't have problem with this. I like color... A lot (my iPad cover is pink and aquamarine). But SW? No thank you.
Same here, all my gadgets are in pink, purple, red and orange covers, but on the screen it's a bit too much. While I was getting extremely tired with the old look, I was hoping for MORE in iOS7.

It's still pages upon pages of squares with rounded corners - oh how I have learned to hate them! And now, to offset all the pastels, they added a ton of grey - so much grey that I want to cry, even in the (already ugly) folders are now all grey. I hate hate hate grey - its's a friggin' non-color that can't make up its mind if it wants to be white or black when it grows up.

I can't even vote, because I don't like either.

Last edited by xendula; 09-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I hate hate hate grey - its's a friggin' non-color that can't make up its mind if it wants to be white or black when it grows up.
I also abhor grey. Perhaps grey won't ever grow up; it appears to be a colour commonly associated with old age. Apple's decades-long obsession with greyness in all shades and tones is perplexing. (Now you no longer can purchase a black iPhone 5s, either; it's called "space-grey", although, as some have observed, space itself is not grey.) Fortunately, I use virtually no Apple software (not even Safari), because you are guaranteed to get an overdose of greyness if you do.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I also abhor grey. Perhaps grey won't ever grow up; it appears to be a colour commonly associated with old age. Apple's decades-long obsession with greyness in all shades and tones is perplexing. (Now you no longer can purchase a black iPhone 5s, either; it's called "space-grey", although, as some have observed, space itself is not grey.) Fortunately, I use virtually no Apple software (not even Safari), because you are guaranteed to get an overdose of greyness if you do.
Yeah, I have not "up"-graded my iPad yet, only my iPod. I think I'll stay with 6 for a bit longer until the iPad5 comes out (I just can't quite them!)

Since you are from Slovakia, have you ever heard of Dr. Miroslav Stingl? It makes me sad that his books seem to be out of print everywhere. I stumbled over one of them in our public library in Germany eons ago when I was still in highschool, but when it looked for it again, it was just gone.
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't like the new 3x3 folder block. So much empty space with the solid color background. I feel like they concentrated more on how things look on the phone and not so much on the larger tablet screen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #37
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I don't like the new 3x3 folder block. So much empty space with the solid color background. I feel like they concentrated more on how things look on the phone and not so much on the larger tablet screen.
Looks bad on the latest gen (5?) iPod T as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #38
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:

Since you are from Slovakia, have you ever heard of Dr. Miroslav Stingl?
Heard of him; haven't read him so far. He's a Czech writer, and he's Miloslav, not Miroslav.

Quote:
It makes me sad that his books seem to be out of print everywhere.
In original Czech, quite a few books can be purchased in recent editions, including as EPUBs (see the largest Slovak online bookstore). Many of his books in German translations can also be purchased second-hand via Amazon.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Heard of him; haven't read him so far. He's a Czech writer, and he's Miloslav, not Miroslav.

In original Czech, quite a few books can be purchased in recent editions, including as EPUBs (see the largest Slovak online bookstore). Many of his books in German translations can also be purchased second-hand via Amazon.
I know he's Czech, but the book I read was from the 80s, therefore my hope you'd know him
Yes, I saw that I can get the used books on amazon.de, and I will and send it to a scan service, but it makes me sad that no new readers will ever even know about him. Plus, I'd love to get his books new - to keep...

So good to hear at least in his neck of the world his books are still selling and even as ebooks! Wow! Of course, the one I read had black and white photography, so perfect for an eink device even.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
That does take the dislike of iOS 7 to a new level, doesn't it? Rather a costly option.
Yes, and no. I had been considering sidegrading to a larger capacity for a long time. I can't afford to upgrade to a 5/5c/5S. I could drop back to my 3GS which has the capacity I want, but not the screen. More fool me for having settled on a 16GB in the first place.

Anyway, I suppose I am getting used to iOS7 on the phone and I do like being able to block marketing calls. I still lack any intent to upgrade the mini or ipad3.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #41
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I like the new look but miss features of the old look. I suppose it's only natural if you are used to the way something looks for 5 years and the it changes.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I know I'm piling on, but look at this thing

Those things look like baby monitors. What adult would want to walk around with one of those? Are they aiming for teens? Tweens? Mind you, the 5c still costs $100 with contract. It's not cheap.

It's like they deliberate make the low end so awful it will drive people to the 5s. Like they're not aware there are things called android phones.
9 million new iPhone 5 C and S units sold over the first weekend, but 78% of them were reportedly the 5S model. So it looks like most buyers are shunning the less expensive but colorful 5C model.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I feel like I'm developing eye-strain easily with all this white background and light gray text.
Indeed! Especially in the dark when you are suddenly blinded by a stupid white screen. I hope they add the option to change the Apple apps background colors.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #44
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
9 million new iPhone 5 C and S units sold over the first weekend, but 78% of them were reportedly the 5S model. So it looks like most buyers are shunning the less expensive but colorful 5C model.

That's a good choice. If I were buying a new iPhone today, I'd definitely go for 5S rather than 5C (= last year's model in a new and not too attractive clothing) and, in the absence of my preferred "Black", I'd have to pick "Space-Grey" (sigh).
Old 09-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

I also like the looks of my black iPhone 5 better than any of the 5S colors. Not that it really matters in my instance as I have it tucked away safe and sound inside an Otterbox Defender case.