Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
hl_x009
hl_x009 began at the beginning.

Device: none
best kobo for download and read all sorts of pdf files

Hi all,

The title is confusing so i'm gonna make it clear.
I am looking for an e-ink tablet that will allow me not only to read ebooks but also to download pdf, txt, doc files from any website and to read them of course (it will have to read graphs and numbers as good as text files) ... that way I could transfer all my syllabi in it
hl_x009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
hl_x009

is any kobo able to do so ?
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I have yet to find an e-ink device that is good for reading PDF's on. The problem is the screen size and most PDF's are designed for a much larger page size, so you end up zooming out so you can see the whole page (but can't read the text) or zooming in so you can read the text but can't display the whole page and so must scroll around the page in order to read it all.

Reflowing the text is something that some e-readers can do, which is fine for books that are mostly text but doesn't work so well when you through in graphs and images.

Sony's 13.3 inch e-reader is being put forward as the best way to read technical PDF's:

moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
hl_x009

OK I see thank you very much
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
There aren't any eInk tablets yet... and no reader which is good with PDFs with graphs and technical data. The Aura HD has a higher res screen which makes PDFs more legible, but the software in the Kobo is awful for PDF files.

I would suggest a regular tablet instead. Anything that's larger than 7", as even with the smaller higher res screens, it's a pain to read anything but a novel.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The Aura HD is the best eInk based Kobo device for your purposes. That said, it isn't very good for your purposes. The screen is too small and the PDF reader is limited. The resolution of the screen is fine though.

I will second the bit about tablets being the better option here. Personally, I'd suggest looking in the 10" category, and ensuring the screen is decent (high DPI, high contrast, bright).

On the other hand, a computer is probably the best solution in this case. I have a decent tablet (Asus TF300T) and find that it's underpowered for many PDFs.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Definitely not any Kobo, no matter what kind of pdf you want to read. If it's only the (occasional) text pdf, try to look at Sony. If it's technical pdf with charts, graphs... B&W => 9" reader, color => tablet...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download pdf, shows also graphs&numbers